Away Match Day Thread 27-10-2020 L1 Charlton Athletic v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
An extract from KR regarding yesterday’s game

To say we were the better team and lose 2-0 becomes a silly comment” he told iFollow. “But between the two boxes I thought we were the better team. In the boxes we made mistakes that they capitalised on, and we made more mistakes than the opposition. That’s not a good recipe.

Maybe for a part of the first half and sporadically for the rest of the game but never dominated.

An extract from KR regarding yesterday’s game

To say we were the better team and lose 2-0 becomes a silly comment” he told iFollow. “But between the two boxes I thought we were the better team. In the boxes we made mistakes that they capitalised on, and we made more mistakes than the opposition. That’s not a good recipe.

Maybe for a part of the first half and sporadically for the rest of the game but never dominated.
Between the two boxes doesn’t get you goals and doesn’t concede goals
What an utterly silly comment by KR

Last season after the bad start we had players like Cadden, Baptiste, Fosu, Dickie to add Brannigan (who is out injured now), Henry and a newly signed Taylor. I Know 3 of those left in January but they were still available then to help us bounce back. Hard to argue we are not weaker now, Atkinson and Brannigan coming back will help a lot but you will always have injuries and we are paper thin in certain positions.

It’s ok being able to out football teams but we are poor at the two most important parts of the game, scoring and not conceding. Probably get away with being bad at one but being bad at both all season will see us relegated.

Interestingly one of our two wins came when we were out footballed ourselves against MK Dons, we were still poor at the back but at least pressing them then countering quickly created better chances of which we were able to convert, didn’t watch Accrington so not certain if that was the same.

Worried that we have been worked out and sides are happy to give us the ball to knock about up to their box knowing we won’t do much with it then counter us and hit our shaky defence quickly to take advantage of the easy chances we then give up. It certainly looked like that last night.

Don’t think we will be seeing Cameron for a while yet. ...

Rochdale, Wimbledon, Plymouth, Crewe...there are far more clubs whom we're much better than, if we ever get a run of form together, whose XIs ours is better than.

The trouble is as you correctly say, the table isn't reflecting this.

Happily, PPG only becomes an issue if we play 75% of the scheduled games, which in this season, will be never.
I don’t think we should undermine any other club , we are that bad at the moment.

Between the two boxes doesn’t get you goals and doesn’t concede goals
What an utterly silly comment by KR
surely that is his point, we were better where it doesn't matter.

Defended poorly when it counts and couldn't score in a brothel

• React
Reactions: m
There was a Watford fan on the radio last season after they got beat 8-0 by Man City (I was driving back from the 6-0 win over Lincoln when they were on) and they were asked if it worried them that they could lose any game by eight goals. They completely laughed it off and said it didn’t matter, this is just what Watford do, they’ll go on a run and end up finishing lower mid-table like always etc. They got relegated. I never forgot that bloke.

I posted the following back in July:

In recent years the losing team in a L1 playoff final hasn’t always fared well in the next couple of seasons. Leyton Orient lost in 2014 and went down twice in the next three years to end up in the Conference; Swindon lost in 2015 and went down a couple of years later; Bradford lost in 2017 and were relegated in 2019... Shrewsbury also lost the 2018 final and only stayed up by two points the following season. It’s a representation of a division where large squad turnovers flip the table on its head every season. Squads are largely built on loans, one and two year contracts, and the teams higher up are waiting to swoop for any player who has a standout season for their club. It’s a hard division to stay consistently competitive in for the majority of clubs.

To clarify, and before anyone starts wailing, I don’t think we will get relegated - or at least I don’t definitely think that we will. I think it’s more likely that we will grind out a win or two, put a bit of a run together, and move up a few places. If I had to put the house on an outcome at gunpoint, I would choose ‘not relegated’ in a heartbeat. But I think the key to that will be a healthy respect for the danger, and an acknowledgement that we could go down. I’ve seen so many people saying that there are four teams worse than us in this division. Based on what? How many times this season have you seen these teams play, to the point that you’re saying they are worse than we are? What’s your evidence? The league table says otherwise and I’ve already laid out examples of teams who lost the playoff final getting relegated or nearly getting relegated a year or two later. You have to respect the division and the teams in it, and there isn’t much of that coming from a few people. That’s dangerous. Be humble.

To reiterate, I think we are capable of turning around the poor start, as we have done several times before. I’m getting annoyed that we’re making a habit of starting badly and believe it’s symptomatic of a recurring issue that clearly isn’t being addressed for some reason, whatever it may be, but I believe we will be alright. So long as both the fans and the players / management don’t keep the faith in a way that becomes complacent. Especially in a season that could end or be suspended at any point over the winter, and where the league table has more immediate impact than ever before. Nobody can bank on next week, or next month, or the next 10/20 games being there.

Finally boot Captain Pugwash in the plumbs this weekend and we will all feel better for it. It’s got to happen eventually! ‘Mon the lads.
Covering all the bases. At least you’re not saying we’ll get promoted I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom