General Change in football

Foley

Former footballers are supposed to be 3.5 times more likely than the general public to end up with a brain related condition.
Tony Cascarino suggested in a paper today that by 2040 he reckons that heading of the ball will be gone from football. Its difficult to argue against that.
How much will this take away from the game though?

Former footballers are supposed to be 3.5 times more likely than the general public to end up with a brain related condition.
Tony Cascarino suggested in a paper today that by 2040 he reckons that heading of the ball will be gone from football. Its difficult to argue against that.
How much will this take away from the game though?
All I know is that within an hour or so someone will say it never did them any harm and use the word ‘snowflakes’.

Would that not be because football used to be played with a breezeblock in comparison to the modern football?

Be a strange and duller game without headers, corners would be a bit pointless as well.

Last edited:
They will simply make heading the ball a foul sometime in the near future once somebody sues the football authorities.

The ball has been the same weight for decades what has changed is the "modern" inability to soak up water.

The old leather jobs might have started at a regulation 14-16oz but after a mid-November soaking they weighed about a stone. :ROFLMAO:

Heading is part of the game, however the move to stopping it has already started in kids football so enjoy it while it is there.

Wenger wants to get rid of throw ins and instead have ‘kick ins’.

With VAR already taking so much enjoyment away from the game, it wouldn’t surprise me that within 20-30 years the game will be so sanitised that it really won’t be worth watching.

Not that I don’t disagree with the dangers of heading a football but look at the weight of footballs etc. I’d also suggest the %of headers in a game is a lot lower than it was even just 5 years ago. Unless you are in a league with Stoke or Wycombe of course!

The ball has been the same weight for decades what has changed is the "modern" inability to soak up water.

The old leather jobs might have started at a regulation 14-16oz but after a mid-November soaking they weighed about a stone. :ROFLMAO:

Heading is part of the game, however the move to stopping it has already started in kids football so enjoy it while it is there.

Just to put of detail around this statement, u11's can't be taught to header footballs, but headers are allowed in their matches (so they can header but can't be taught the technique to do so correctly, get your head around that one... pun intended!), as they go up the age groups there is limits to the amount of time each week allowed to be used for header training.

Just to put of detail around this statement, u11's can't be taught to header footballs, but headers are allowed in their matches (so they can header but can't be taught the technique to do so correctly, get your head around that one... pun intended!), as they go up the age groups there is limits to the amount of time each week allowed to be used for header training.

Thanks for the clarity, I knew it was a thing for kids already and in 7-10 years some of those will be players on the professional pitches!
Give it 20 years the game I grew up with will be like American Football with little contact, no headers and a match lasting almost all day to allow for VAR & commercials.
If that is progress it is very sad.

Thanks for the clarity, I knew it was a thing for kids already and in 7-10 years some of those will be players on the professional pitches!
Give it 20 years the game I grew up with will be like American Football with little contact, no headers and a match lasting almost all day to allow for VAR & commercials.
If that is progress it is very sad.
I can see the thinking behind the ban in training and reduce time for it, but I do wonder if what is protected by not heading lobbed up balls to learn technique early on, is lost by poorly heading balls being smashed at you in a match at the weekend.

Your gloomy evaluation of the future of football is sadly probably not far off, which is rather depressing. Might have to see if they still do Danny Bakers own goals and gaffs to cheer me up!

2040 - Footballers are at much higher risk of muscle tears, elbows to their precious facial bones and serious leg injury than those who do not play football. I think the only way we can protect future generations from serious harm is to ban all forms of football other than FIFA video games.

2060 - Footballers seem to be suffering from thumb-based conditions as a result of handling their PlayStation controllers. The only way we can safely enjoy football is to remove the physicality altogether. Old re-runs of MoTD and simulated virtual matches are now the only acceptable forms of this dangerous sport.

2080 - football viewers are suffering eye damage from watching their screens. Football is banned. Stay indoors. Don't open the curtains.

2040 - Footballers are at much higher risk of muscle tears, elbows to their precious facial bones and serious leg injury than those who do not play football. I think the only way we can protect future generations from serious harm is to ban all forms of football other than FIFA video games.

2060 - Footballers seem to be suffering from thumb-based conditions as a result of handling their PlayStation controllers. The only way we can safely enjoy football is to remove the physicality altogether. Old re-runs of MoTD and simulated virtual matches are now the only acceptable forms of this dangerous sport.

2080 - football viewers are suffering eye damage from watching their screens. Football is banned. Stay indoors. Don't open the curtains.

Ah, mortality does have it's benefits I see.

Wenger wants to get rid of throw ins and instead have ‘kick ins’.

TBF, this is because in his opinion, teams concede possession more often that not following their own throw-in so he sees them as hinderance and would like a "fairer" method.

What a load of snowflakes. Heading a football never hurt me. But playing rugby put me in hospital 3 times!

You say it never hurt you Malc but the way you moderate this forum at times would say otherwise...😉
Ah, I forgot to mention that I have only once played a proper game of football in my entire life. And I avoided heading the ball!
Yes sometimes I crack the whip, but sometimes it is necessary. Or would you rather have a forum as the Luton one?

Ah, I forgot to mention that I have only once played a proper game of football in my entire life. And I avoided heading the ball!
Yes sometimes I crack the whip, but sometimes it is necessary. Or would you rather have a forum as the Luton one?
I was only joking, I think you and ESB do a great job.

Back
Top Bottom