Championship Championship Last day

Slightly pedantic but deducting points after any chance to play matches knowing what you need to do would be unfair .

Not really if they gained a benefit which they clearly have in previous seasons in spending more than they should why should they get a benefit in when the punishment is applied. Also, they could have accepted the charges a long while ago, had a known outcome but got on with it. Derby tried to circumvent the rules and failed, tough luck the chickens may come home to roost this season. After all Sheff Wed didn't totally get away with it this season and had 6 points deducted. Even this 6 point deduction was inexplicably reduced on appeal from 12, which is farcically lenient from yet another disciplinary panel*, but at least their financial malpractise cost them relegation.

*Yet these Disciplinary Panels couldn't give Macclesfield 3 points deductions quick enough for not paying player wages but Sheff Wed didn't pay their players for March & April no mention of points deductions that I've seen (happy to be wrong).

Not really if they gained a benefit which they clearly have in previous seasons in spending more than they should why should they get a benefit in when the punishment is applied. Also, they could have accepted the charges a long while ago, had a known outcome but got on with it. Derby tried to circumvent the rules and failed, tough luck the chickens may come home to roost this season. After all Sheff Wed didn't totally get away with it this season and had 6 points deducted. Even this 6 point deduction was inexplicably reduced on appeal from 12, which is farcically lenient from yet another disciplinary panel*, but at least their financial malpractise cost them relegation.

*Yet these Disciplinary Panels couldn't give Macclesfield 3 points deductions quick enough for not paying player wages but Sheff Wed didn't pay their players for March & April no mention of points deductions that I've seen (happy to be wrong).
Its too late to change though ...unfair that you have had games played when the tactics would have been completely different.
Fine and points deduction next season still will punish them .

Its too late to change though ...unfair that you have had games played when the tactics would have been completely different.
Fine and points deduction next season still will punish them .

How would the tactics been any different? Derby have been desperately trying to win games for months and generally failed. And tough if it is "unfair" on Derby, they had years of getting away with gaining an unfair advantage over their league rivals.

How would the tactics been any different? Derby have been desperately trying to win games for months and generally failed. And tough if it is "unfair" on Derby, they had years of getting away with gaining an unfair advantage over their league rivals.
You need to know what you are chasing and where you are not deduct afterwards when already ' done enough ' to stay up

You need to know what you are chasing and where you are not deduct afterwards when already ' done enough ' to stay up

They have known about this process for quite a while and knew the Appeals process was reaching an end.

And Macclesfield got deducted points* in June which relegated them and kept Stevenage in the FL.

*These were for failure to pay players yet I can't see anywhere that Sheff Wed are being charged with this by the FL for their failure to pay in March/April.

Last edited:
They are ready to take legal action, apparently.

Good for them. It would be nice to see a smaller club getting a benefit over a bigger team as recently it has gone the other way. Bolton getting treated leniently compared to Bury/Macclesfield or Sheff Wed getting their 12 point deduction halved etc.

Good for them. It would be nice to see a smaller club getting a benefit over a bigger team as recently it has gone the other way. Bolton getting treated leniently compared to Bury/Macclesfield or Sheff Wed getting their 12 point deduction halved etc.
Thanks for the link @Concretebob, if it was OUFC in this situation, I would hope that our Board were ready with a legal challenge if the EFL don't act. The EFL have won an appeal which appears to show financial irregularities at Derby similar to those at Sheff Wed who received a 6 points deduction - why wouldn't you act on that if it affected your division next season?

I agree that bigger clubs have been given the benefit of decisions recently by the shambles that is the EFL.

My issue with Wycombe is how they seem to go about things. Last season along with Rotherham they pushed PPG for their own gains. Now they want to get Derby relegated so they can benefit from yet another technicality. Fair enough they won the play offs last on the pitch, but if they were to stay up in this instance it would be completely undeserved.

Also if they are ready to take legal action, they can't be as skint as Arseworth makes them out to be in pretty much every post match interview.

Agreed. My only issue with Wycombe is Gareth Ainsworth, his style of football, and the constant plea of poverty over years which just got annoying.

He was actually praising us yesterday on sky sports news, he admired a couple of our goals aswell . Now if he had a higher budget he might change his tactics and not play hoof ball.

Wycombe consider legal action to relegate Wayne Rooney’s Derby in their place over alleged breach of spending rules

There is a god up there if Derby get relegated.
Maybe we might get a second local derby in the championship after all

I've no love for Wycombe but I disagree.

If Derby are guilty they should be punished now. Why give them a chance to get away with it?

Back
Top Bottom