Champions?

Way too tight at the moment for this sort of discussion in my opinion. There’s only four points between 2nd and 10th as it stands.

Or, tight enough that we can discuss it. Last season xmas was a horrible mess, if this season it goes well, we will be in with a chance.

As @RyanioBirdio says, it depends on the team we end up with at the end of January. Why not hope?

I agree - Wycombe will fall away.

How well we do between now and the end of the season depends on whether

a) we replace Cadden with a player equally adept at getting forward
b) we lose (at most) one player in the window and use the money both to replace them and ...
c) get in some new talent
d) we avoid significant injuries to key players between now and May

We are obviously looking at left and right backs, winger(s) and a midfielder. Personally I would also be tempted to try for a striker (or attacking central midfielder) (maybe one at L2 level who is doing well) - as IMO Mackie looks hugely unlikely to suddenly turn into a goal scorer, Agyei is an unknown quantity and Taylor and Henry need a proper backup.

Everything rests on the Jan transfer window , if it goes well I don’t see any reason why we couldn’t be champions !
Yep, ins and outs in January will be the deciding factor I think

b) we lose (at most) one player in the window and use the money both to replace them and ...

We are obviously looking at left and right backs, winger(s) and a midfielder. Personally I would also be tempted to try for a striker (or attacking central midfielder) (maybe one at L2 level who is doing well) - as IMO Mackie looks hugely unlikely to suddenly turn into a goal scorer, Agyei is an unknown quantity and Taylor and Henry need a proper backup.

Sort of agree. Not sure Long isn't a better option than Cadden, given the chance. Where we have been lucky is that we haven't had injuries to defenders; perhaps that translates into 'I hope we don't lose the Dickster' altho Branagan is also key.

I can't see Robbo agreeing to any of our top players going.
Keep the faith, its ours to take ...

I genuinely believe Wycombe will not even achieve a play-off place.

Speaking with some Wycombe fans last Saturday before the game and in their opinion they were punching above their weight and were not at all looking forward to the up coming run of fixtures.

In their words, if they took a play off place at the end of the season, they will be delighted.

Would it set up a record as the first club to win three championships from the third tier?

Nah - Bristol City have won four (1922–23 (South), 1926–27 (South), 1954–55 (South), 2014–15). And there may be others with more (they were just the first club I thought of, and checked).

At the risk of being called unambitious.....honestly at this point, I'm just happy that we're going to hit January, and the mid-point of the season, and we're not only still having the discussion about whether we can be Champions - but it's a realistic proposition, we're not all just being delusional.

Given that there's a bunch of teams in this league that have far, far greater resources than we do - it's a great achievement so far from KR and his team.

Keep the band together through January, find someone who can replace Cadden, and add a couple more depth pieces and there's no reason we can't win the league.
Noone else in the league has a core to the team that's as good as Dickie-Brannagan-Baptiste-Henry-Taylor.

This is going to be huge for us. A long term injury to a player like Brannagan, Dickie or Taylor could dismantle our season.

Sort of agree. Not sure Long isn't a better option than Cadden, given the chance.
He is certainly a better defender. And there is an argument that if Long was at right back, Henry wouldn't have to cover back so much so perhaps Henry would be more effective. But we would miss a Cadden type player joining the attack. Since Robinson has said he is looking for full backs, I wonder if he is looking for a more forward thinking full back on both sides, which would certainly give us options.

Whatever happens at AFC Wimbledon on Sunday we are League one champions in 2019 ?
2019/20 League One Date Range: 1-JAN-2019 to 27-DEC-2019
Pos
Team​
PWDLGFGAWDLGFGAGDPts
1Oxford United411262341777732262370
2Portsmouth411192402165829301865
3Peterborough United421245412266928351264
4Wycombe Wanderers421344322156101925564
5Sunderland4210102392358721221563
6Bristol Rovers4188631258652123462

Not sure what your source is for that, Transfermarkt has it slightly different (still with us top as it stands):

That table is grim reading for Southend. Fewer League One points this year than Plymouth, despite playing over twice as many matches.

Widely acknowledged as the top soccer statistician

Interesting that in the global soccer rankings we come in at 383, MILES ahead of the nearest other L1 side (Sunderland 434) and just behind Luton on 382 to give us some perspective :) But suggests we are 10% better than anyone in the league. I predict we win it by 7pts

Last edited:
We should also be on for our highest finish since 1998/99 when we were relegated from the (now) Championship - that in itself will be some achievement....

This is going to be huge for us. A long term injury to a player like Brannagan, Dickie or Taylor could dismantle our season.
I’d take Dickie and Brannagan to get injured at the Doncaster game and be out for a month. Won’t pass any medicals at other clubs then ?

If Dickie is sold to Derby, (bloody well hope not), I wonder if there is any chance we get Jack Marriott in on loan for the rest of the season as a sweetener - if Leeds sign Eisa from Bristol City, will they recall MT?

If Dickie is sold to Derby, (bloody well hope not), I wonder if there is any chance we get Jack Marriott in on loan for the rest of the season as a sweetener - if Leeds sign Eisa from Bristol City, will they recall MT?

Eisa is at Peterborough...

I wonder if our good run has come at the wrong time? Always good to finish the season strongly. Mind you, Luton just kept on going last year

Agreed.
If one player must be sold, then Baptiste is the obvious candidate. Should prove the less disruptive sale, considering he hasn’t really featured in the league this season.
Would be a shame that we won’t get to see him fulfill his true potential here.
I’d gladly settle for 2nd. Appleton thinks we will finish top 2, and in MAp we trust!

We should also be on for our highest finish since 1998/99 when we were relegated from the (now) Championship - that in itself will be some achievement....

Yes, and at the moment we in the highest league position we’ve been for 20 years. Hopefully the long journey Kassam took us on is coming to an end, and home is in sight.......!

Back
Top Bottom