General Stadium Catering

Proper chips not those thin fries that are named after another country ( didn’t mention the country in case I get accused of racism or brexiting

One thing that bugs me about football catering ( and many greasy spoons) Cheap ingredients and the fan still pays £3 for a cardboard burger or gristle sausage roll. Put a bit more into the basic product and I’d pay more.

One thing that bugs me about football catering ( and many greasy spoons) Cheap ingredients and the fan still pays £3 for a cardboard burger or gristle sausage roll. Put a bit more into the basic product and I’d pay more.
To be fair, this is the impression I get from the food that Farrs are doing, the food they're serving is not what I'd call a basic product, everything I've had so far this season has been good, so I'm happy to pay a bit for it. Especially as that's money now going to Oxford United and not to that greedy bastard Kassam.

To be fair, this is the impression I get from the food that Farrs are doing, the food they're serving is not what I'd call a basic product, everything I've had so far this season has been good, so I'm happy to pay a bit for it. Especially as that's money now going to Oxford United and not to that greedy bastard Kassam.
I can't speak for the burgers or hotdogs, as I've never tried them, but the pies are lovely, some of the best I've ever had at a football match...

Chips though, I like chips.

You can pick up a box of 48 Mars Bars for £18 on Amazon.

Selling @ £1 per bar not enough profit?

Probably says on the packaging not for individual resale so can't buy them from there. Farrs would use wholesalers like bookers.

Probably says on the packaging not for individual resale so can't buy them from there. Farrs would use wholesalers like bookers.

Yeah, more than likely.

Can’t imagine the price being too dissimilar.

But I am not in the business so if it really isn’t worthwhile, fair enough.

Honest answer, not enough profit to worth selling. We did have them in the vending machines as I don’t need to pay staff to sell them. But we haven’t got those machine back in yet
With respect, I don't understand the logic here, as I'm sure there would be loads of people who would quite fancy a single £1 chocolate bar, to have as a little snack during the game, but don't want a huge £3 bag of chocolate, so they don't bother.

I for one have often bought a pie and a coffee, and then looked to by a snickers, kitkat, lion bar or toffee crisp, to have as a snack later during the game, but have been disappointed to find only big £3 bags on offer, that I know I'll never finish, so I don't bother.

I don't doubt that you know the business a hell of a lot more than myself, but with a good selection, I feel you'd sell a huge amount more single £1 chocolate bars than big £3 bags, especially when you consider the amount of individual fans, and people with kids, who'd buy at least one, the profit would surely be there?!?

Last edited:
With respect, I don't understand the logic here, as I'm sure there would be loads of people who would quite fancy a single £1 chocolate bar, to have as a little snack during the game, but don't want a huge £3 bag of chocolate, so they don't bother.

I for one have often bought a pie and a coffee, and then looked to by a snickers, kitkat, lion bar or toffee crisp, to have as a snack later during the game, but have been disappointed to find only big £3 bags on offer, that I know I'll never finish, so I don't bother.

I don't doubt that you know the business a hell of a lot more than myself, but with a good selection, I feel you'd sell a huge amount more single £1 chocolate bars than big £3 bags, especially when you consider the amount of individual fans, and people with kids, who'd buy at least one, the profit would surely be there?!?
Indeed. I have to remember to get a Kit-Kat or whatever beforehand, for half time. That’s a few pence of mine they are missing out on every fortnight!

Indeed. I have to remember to get a Kit-Kat or whatever beforehand, for half time. That’s a few pence of mine they are missing out on every fortnight!
Yep. We always go stocked with a half time Twix, Mars bar or similar to go with my half time cuppa.

Honest answer, not enough profit to worth selling. We did have them in the vending machines as I don’t need to pay staff to sell them. But we haven’t got those machine back in yet

Sorry, you will have to explain.

You will need staff to fill the vending machine as a totally separate task from selling over the counter where they will have already serviced you a drink or a pie? Vending machines also break down and require servicing.

Other than taking an additional couple of seconds to grab a chocolate bar from a box, where is this additional cost?

As has been said above, you will likely get through far more boxes of chocolate bars than big grab bags as people will bye their usual, plus a bar of chocolate.

You will need staff to fill the vending machine as a totally separate task from selling over the counter where they will have already serviced you a drink or a pie? Vending machines also break down and require servicing.

Other than taking an additional couple of seconds to grab a chocolate bar from a box, where is this additional cost?

As has been said above, you will likely get through far more boxes of chocolate bars than big grab bags as people will bye their usual, plus a bar of chocolate.
Yes that sounds odd. Plus someone queuing to get a twix might decide to get a coffee or whatever too, whereas I just don’t look at the catering since I’ve brought my own.

I never purchase food at the ground. It’s always been over priced muck, that‘s thrown together by people who couldn’t care less.

I’d buy choccie-yum-hums though.

But multiply those seconds for every customer that would ask for one and that could be totalling 2-3 minutes, which is a lot of time in a 15 minute interval.

The thing about vending machines is that once they're set up and stocked before fans arrive, no one needs to monitor them. It allows customers to use them at their convenience, and means that during the game staff members can serve customers quicker.

I take a snickers for half time too. Don’t fancy being in the beer queue to buy one though, much easier to go in the shop on the way

just to clarify that this isn’t a dig at Farrs who are doing better than many other clubs who rely on mass produced pukka pies.

Sadly at Burton I was too late for the faggots and mushy peas which is good to have a change from the generic pies hot dogs and fries.

Do you really think anyone would do anything about that? It's not covered by any law or trading standards offences.

Back
Top Bottom