Carabao Cup draw

I actually hope we use the cups to blood the fringe players this year and then concentrate fully on getting promotion.
A cup run is great for finances/getting on the map in the footballing world but promotion will get you more money and more publicity.

Mentioning floodlights and as an aside. Was it Leicester whose fan jumped off the Cuckoo Lane floodlight or did I imagine that?
I thought it was a Villa fan? You certainly didn't imagine it, floodlight in Cuckoo Lane/Osler Road corner.

Don`t mention the floodlight failure(s)............. or the faulty pool table in the pub which ended up being the least of their worries.....

Watford away they kept us on the wrong side of the turnstiles for ages due to floodlight failure. They were fixed by an Oxford sparkie. We lost, I bet he wished he hadn’t bothered.

One for the older fans - it was Watford at home when the London Road wall collapsed wasn’t it?
Yep. I was sat on the wall about level with the right hand goal post (looking from the London Road). Couldn't work out what had happened at first.

Won the replay 2-1
And it was shown as the TV highlights mid week match, probably because it was the only replay that Wednesday if I remember correctly. Weird to think that you had to wait for the BBC sports headlines at 9.55 on Radio 2 just to find out the result. How times have changed.

Don`t mention the floodlight failure(s)............. or the faulty pool table in the pub which ended up being the least of their worries.....

I remember a freezing midweek game at Watford, when the game was called off 30 mins or so before kick off due to a freezing pitch. They started to give out vouchers for people to get a ticket for the next game. The problem was they had young stewards handing them out to people outside the ground, who hadn't even paid yet.

Someone said they couldn't make the rearranged date and wanted a refund there and then. It became an "I'm Spartacus, no I'm Spartacus", as everyone else cottoned onto the idea. A queue developed, with people holding a handful of these vouchers, and walking away with wads of money, as everyone made a fortune.
Mind you wasn't there a floodlight failure at the rearranged fixture, and a local sparky had to be called out to fix it. I think the game did eventually go ahead.

A few details might be wrong, but the voucher money making scheme definitely did happen.

I remember a freezing midweek game at Watford, when the game was called off 30 mins or so before kick off due to a freezing pitch. They started to give out vouchers for people to get a ticket for the next game. The problem was they had young stewards handing them out to people outside the ground, who hadn't even paid yet.

Someone said they couldn't make the rearranged date and wanted a refund there and then. It became an "I'm Spartacus, no I'm Spartacus", as everyone else cottoned onto the idea. A queue developed, with people holding a handful of these vouchers, and walking away with wads of money, as everyone made a fortune.
Mind you wasn't there a floodlight failure at the rearranged fixture, and a local sparky had to be called out to fix it. I think the game did eventually go ahead.

A few details might be wrong, but the voucher money making scheme definitely did happen.

I don't think the floodlight failure one was played in the end either and it had to be rearranged again. One of them we walked away from Vicarage Rd chatting to Malcolm Shotton and I think it was the floodlight failure one. But could be wrong.

I don't think the floodlight failure one was played in the end either and it had to be rearranged again. One of them we walked away from Vicarage Rd chatting to Malcolm Shotton and I think it was the floodlight failure one. But could be wrong.

I wish we had played Watford more over the years, as it's local to Oxford, and London exiles.

There was the friendly we played them, when an Oxford fan shouted turnip head towards Graham Taylor and he came up into the stand and sat right next to the oxford fan for a chat.

Kind of emphasizes how the game has changed, watching that. Just a much harder game 30 years ago.

100% guaranteed Leeds' second gets disallowed today - their #5 absolutely demolishes our CB (is that an early career Mike Ford, before he moved to LB?) with a challenge that's nowhere near the ball, a good half a second late. But none of the Oxford players complain whatsoever, and the ref doesn't seem to even consider giving a foul.

Reckon if you put an average 1990 Division 2 player in today's Championship, they would look a little slow and unskilled.

But put an average 2020 Championship player in 1990's Division 2, and they would end up in a battered heap somewhere, crying their eyes out......

Also, am I right in saying the last time we played at Vicarage Road was the time that the wrong kit got packed, we turned up with only our home, yellow jerseys and we had to wear Watford's away kit?

Think the rumor was that the staff - who weren't being paid at the time because we were skint - had gone on a major bender the night before, leading to the kit snafu!

I remember that .....made some money. It was meant to be Matt Elliotts last game too maybe?

Back
Top Bottom