National News Captain Tom Moore

The guy is an absolute legend and deserves to be Knighted but there is only so much money to go around and if Boris is wasting it on completely pointless letters it's an insult to this guy and all those who have donated.

As far as I am aware UK debt is just shy of £20000000000000, passing no comment on that total, but £6000000 is in the grand scheme of things P**s all, and if it got a message to only a small % of the country that dont follow current affairs online or tv ( more people fall in this group the you would expect) it potentially has saved lives, and personally a few saved lives is worth a penny or so on my future tax to pay for the letters, if you feel it was wasted money then that is really not a great reflection of character.

Proper old school gent.

What a ray of light in a difficult situation, although I suspect he has seen far worse during his life. And I don’t mean to trivialise what we are seeing at the moment by saying that.

Such an articulate gent at 99. Christ, if I am lucky enough to be like that at 80, I’ll be a very happy bunny.

if anyone deserves a knighthood this man does
Well done Captain Tom

The guy is an absolute legend and deserves to be Knighted but there is only so much money to go around and if Boris is wasting it on completely pointless letters it's an insult to this guy and all those who have donated.
How much does a title cost then?

No, you've got me there. How much?
I think @Manorlounger {apologies ML if this isn't the case) was wondering because of wording in your post...

The guy is an absolute legend and deserves to be Knighted but there is only so much money to go around

...which suggests you are saying he won't be recognised because of a lack of money.

I thought captain Tom was doing one or two laps a day, which would be fair enough at 99, but watching him on bbc breakfast news yesterday he must have done at least 10, good to see the army give him a guard of honour for his last laps. Good story, can we ditch the politics on this thread.

I think @Manorlounger {apologies ML if this isn't the case) was wondering because of wording in your post...

...which suggests you are saying he won't be recognised because of a lack of money.
OK ta. Didn't get that. That wasn't what I was saying. My lack of money reference was a criticism of Boris's letter. Happy to clear that up.

It’s fantastic that he’s managed to achieve this massive sum. I’m sure he didn’t anticipate all this publicity.
My father would have been 100 on February 29 and died at 74 on 30 April when Tom turns 100. The two of them could have had great conversations about the war and life today.
I’m wondering how many cards Tom will get....we can all send one. There is a link and a great choice

breaking news (apparently ?- I cant , as yet, find a substantiated report) Just Giving are taking a sizable chunk of £ raised by Cpt Tom Moore for NHS, for their ' admin charges' .... if true, IMO, its outrageous!

PayPal have the friends and family option which charges ZERO fees ..... worth noting (also I know several people who have had their credit or debit card hacked after donating via just giving in recent years ) if anyone on YF, at some point, is looking for donations for worthy causes.

DONT use Just giving!!!

I’ve heard they take 5%...of course for £25m that is a whopping £1.25m deducted.
I’m sure many of us have been taken in by them, whilst wanting to do the right thing by charity

It’s fantastic that he’s managed to achieve this massive sum. I’m sure he didn’t anticipate all this publicity.
My father would have been 100 on February 29 and died at 74 on 30 April when Tom turns 100. The two of them could have had great conversations about the war and life today.
I’m wondering how many cards Tom will get....we can all send one. There is a link and a great choice

I heard somewhere that they were doing virtual cards so as to avoid the postage issue

breaking news (apparently ?- I cant , as yet, find a substantiated report) Just Giving are taking a sizable chunk of £ raised by Cpt Tom Moore for NHS, for their ' admin charges' .... if true, IMO, its outrageous!

PayPal have the friends and family option which charges ZERO fees ..... worth noting (also I know several people who have had their credit or debit card hacked after donating via just giving in recent years ) if anyone on YF, at some point, is looking for donations for worthy causes.

DONT use Just giving!!!

It is a bit difficult if they have set this up on a Just Giving page....

When donating, there is an option to add a contribution to admin fees so that less comes out of the actual donation, but I would hope the charges are structured so that they reduce as the sums go through certain targets.

I think also they made a £100,000 contribution of their own already.... That may go up by reducing fees hopefully.

Hmm. Just heard on the daily Government virus update that this fine chap is being 'rewarded' for his amazing efforts by being the guest of honour at the opening of a new Nightingale hospital in Harrogate, Yorkshire. I am really hoping that I *mis*heard this, as it seems loopy to be taking a 99 year old man out of his isolation and to ferry him from Bedfordshire to Yorkshire and back.
Am I alone in hoping they rethink this - or arrange for him do it 'virtually'?

I don't agree with a fee being charged by Just Giving but, for clarity here is what they do charge. Also, bear in mind that they have donated £100,000 themselves. (I wonder if they charge for that donation!)

Back
Top Bottom