Ex Player Cameron Norman

• Thread starter Deleted member 142
  • Start date
You obviously know something about him to make that comment LR?

I spoke to him and found him to be very sincere.

At the Man City game, my daughter wanted to queue to get the Oxford teams autographs as everyone else seemed to be queuing for the 'superstars'. We met Shaun Derry and he was fantastic with her, asking her about football and school and making her feel really important. He couldn't have been nicer, yet it seems that most on here believe him to be a footballing anti-christ that terrifies everyone behind the scenes!

The reality is no one really knows what happens inside the club, and the fact that Norman and Derry are both charming on occasions has little relevance to how they are in their working life.

Not quite sure what you're getting at here.

If you mean that it looks like nobody in management at the club has a clue what to do or what's going on then that's a point of view that many on here will have sympathy with.

If you mean that nobody who posts on here knows what's happening inside the club at all, I doubt very much that you're right.

Not quite sure what you're getting at here.

If you mean that it looks like nobody in management at the club has a clue what to do or what's going on then that's a point of view that many on here will have sympathy with.

If you mean that nobody who posts on here knows what's happening inside the club at all, I doubt very much that you're right.
If this is in reference to my post, it was quite simply to say that we shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. To imply Norman is sincere from one meeting is as worthless as me to say that Derry was welcoming and polite in our one meeting with him. Both could be total arseholes on the training ground.

If this is in reference to my post, it was quite simply to say that we shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. To imply Norman is sincere from one meeting is as worthless as me to say that Derry was welcoming and polite in our one meeting with him. Both could be total arseholes on the training ground.

I don't know either character personally. But Derry's goading and foul mouth directed at an opposition player already walking to an early bath, thereby earning a red card himself, suggests to me there is a bigger chance he is a knobber compared to Norman.

• React
Reactions: Ian
At the Man City game, my daughter wanted to queue to get the Oxford teams autographs as everyone else seemed to be queuing for the 'superstars'. We met Shaun Derry and he was fantastic with her, asking her about football and school and making her feel really important. He couldn't have been nicer, yet it seems that most on here believe him to be a footballing anti-christ that terrifies everyone behind the scenes!

The reality is no one really knows what happens inside the club, and the fact that Norman and Derry are both charming on occasions has little relevance to how they are in their working life.

I was responding to LR’s post which reading between the lines would suggest that Norman isn’t the blue eyed boy that many of us think that he maybe and that’s probably why he’s not being considered in the SQUAD, but when I asked Radio Oxford whether they knew the reason for his non conclusion they said it was due to his mistake against Walsall which seems ludicrous considering the mistakes or non eventful actions by others in the team basically insinuating if that was the reason then we wouldn’t have a team to play.

Add to my meeting with the player, hearing him in interviews and reading interview paper articles etc I would find it hard to judge him as being an A*****e, but like you say who knows.

Personally, I think his treatment is OTT and certainly doesn’t warrant him being in the squad based on his performances on the pitch which matters most in my eyes.

In fairness, with the possible exception of Whyte, every one of our players could have been deservedly hooked at some point. Norman started well but made some basic errors in a few games (as expected at his age/experience). Long and McMahon have been given chances and have been no better, but we don't know what the attitude is like in training. If he's not prepared to work hard to get his place back then maybe that explains why he'd previously dropped down the leagues.

If he's not prepared to work hard to get his place back then maybe that explains why he'd previously dropped down the leagues.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...anchester-city-kings-lynn-norwich-carabao-cup

'As a part-time outfit King’s Lynn trained only two or three times per week but Norman did more. “I’d go to the gym every day, doing double sessions, trying to keep my professional standards up so that on Saturday there was a clear difference in playing ability,” he says. “It’s tough to keep going every single day when you don’t have to, especially over Christmas. But I can look back now and think: ‘Good job I did that.’” :unsure:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...anchester-city-kings-lynn-norwich-carabao-cup

'As a part-time outfit King’s Lynn trained only two or three times per week but Norman did more. “I’d go to the gym every day, doing double sessions, trying to keep my professional standards up so that on Saturday there was a clear difference in playing ability,” he says. “It’s tough to keep going every single day when you don’t have to, especially over Christmas. But I can look back now and think: ‘Good job I did that.’” :unsure:

And I hope he (and others) have the same attitude now. I think Norman is a decent player but is still rare. I'd hope that given another run in the side he'd be better equipped to keep his place. He probably has been treated pretty harshly, but no one has set the world alight as our league position shows.

To be fair to Robinson, it does look on the face of it, that Norman has been treated a little harshly, but we’re not party to the conversations the manager has with his players. If Robinson took Norman to one side and explained the he thought he’s done exceptionally well and exceeded all expectations so far but starting to look a little jaded so he was pulling him out for a while, there’d be absolutely nothing wrong with that in my book. We don’t know how the players are managed day to day, it’s all guesswork.

Why is it that every time a player is out of the squad he's deemed by some to be the answer to our problems, Norman has done okay but he's made a massive jump in standard so probably needed some time out of the team after playing regularly for several weeks.

A fantastic example of someone seeing what they want to see at the expense of all else.

Have I come out & said he’s been outstanding NO but do I think he’s better than Tony McMahon & Sam Long in that position YES we don’t have any outstanding first choice right backs at this moment in time

Both full back areas have been a disaster along with our center forwards

It was said by KR that Hanson can also play Right Back but mainly see’s him as a defensive midfielder

To be fair to Robinson, it does look on the face of it, that Norman has been treated a little harshly, but we’re not party to the conversations the manager has with his players. If Robinson took Norman to one side and explained the he thought he’s done exceptionally well and exceeded all expectations so far but starting to look a little jaded so he was pulling him out for a while, there’d be absolutely nothing wrong with that in my book. We don’t know how the players are managed day to day, it’s all guesswork.

But Robinson told Radio Oxford that he dropped Norman for his mistake against Walsall!

And why not leave him in the squad rather than drop him altogether!

KR might just be protecting Norman. Giving him time to work on his game, rest on Saturdays and then work some more building on his experiences in the first team and playing for the U23s - which was specifically created to help players like Norman.

KR might just be protecting Norman. Giving him time to work on his game, rest on Saturdays and then work some more building on his experiences in the first team and playing for the U23s - which was specifically created to help players like Norman.

Then come out and say that rather than saying he’s dropped him because of his mistake. I’m sure that would protect him more.

Last edited:
Cameron took a very hefty tackle at the end of the Walsall game and limped off after being subbed in the last minute. It honestly didn't surprise me that he didn't make the team for Man City just three day later and the better defensive displays since then may mean he will need to earn his place back.

Cameron took a very hefty tackle at the end of the Walsall game and limped off after being subbed in the last minute. It honestly didn't surprise me that he didn't make the team for Man City just three day later and the better defensive displays since then may mean he will need to earn his place back.
McMahon was poor against Luton and played a big part in conceding the two goals.
It was better Saturday mainly because Mous was in to protect the back four. It worked ok but did make us even less offensive.
Apart from the full backs being poor it seems to me Nelson and Dickie are just not the same players as before. I'm convinced something is not right behind the scenes.

Can somebody update me on where/what/how is Cameron Norman. Has he been abducted by Aliens or what ?. I know he is raw and learning his trade but he has disappeared from the squad.

Back
Top Bottom