Ex Player Callum O'Dowda

Annoying his lack of development has cost us quite a bit. We had some savvy sell ons for COD and he hasn’t kicked on. The lack of goals must be part of it. 14 in 106 for us and a mere 9 in 155 to for Bristol City.

I think it just goes to show how big the step up in quality to the Championship can be.

Some can cope with it just fine (Dickie, Roofe, Lundstram etc.) but others really struggle (Matty T, Whyte)

COD has been somewhere in the middle - he has played a lot of games over the last five years, but his production has been pretty average.

Will be interesting to see where Sykes ends up on that scale!

I think it just goes to show how big the step up in quality to the Championship can be.

Some can cope with it just fine (Dickie, Roofe, Lundstram etc.) but others really struggle (Matty T, Whyte)

COD has been somewhere in the middle - he has played a lot of games over the last five years, but his production has been pretty average.

I believe that injuries have really hampered COD. He has had some really good spells.
I reckon that in the right system for him Matt Taylor could have made a success of the Championship.
Agree that it will be very interesting to see how Sykes does. More of a Whyte to Ledson would be my bet

Indeed. It’s kind of annoying seeing someone like Ollie Watkins make Exeter a pile of cash when we’ve sold plenty of players although none have ever really become the big ticket signing for a PL side. Maybe Dickie could be that but even he’s a CB rather than the glamour position of striker so even his next fee will have a ceiling.

Rothwell, Ledson and Nelson are in the same division and haven’t gone any higher . Johnson, Dunkley and Whyte are all back at League 1 level. The best two were our players from the League 2 days - Lundstram and Roofe.

It makes you realise that many of the fees we got were pretty damn good.

Maybe the issue is Bristol City (re:Taylor, COD), rather than The Championship (as a level) for these players?

They're not a big club at that level, could certainly be argued are no bigger than a decent League One club and are not exactly a a club going places, typically playing bottom-half football.
Not suggesting Matty Taylor could have been an Ivan Toney but perhaps the club are failing to develop these players?

If it were me I'd be looking to join a club with a good chance of pushing for promotion like a West Brom or Forest, a decent club at that level.
I'd go as far as to say that there is every chance that Bristol City will be in League One before Sykes contract is up!

He’d do a bloody good job in League 1 seeing as he’s been a Championship player for years.
Oh yeah we’re League 1, so if we got a Championship player what’s the issue?

His release was mentioned on Radio Oxford today (though they didn't mention 'City' they just said 'Bristol').....wonder if that was a tactical thing on Jerome's part? ;-)

They wouldn’t. When you look at the games he’s played and the injuries he’s had last 2 years.
Well yeah some people wouldn’t. But I bet a lot would be considering a full Irish international who is still only 27, was considered one of a promoted L2 sides’ top prospects and has then moved for what £1.6m, and played 155 games at Championship level, on a free transfer… I just think if he wasn’t ex-Oxford a lot of people would be viewing that favourably.

Last edited:
Well yeah some people wouldn’t. But I bet a lot would be considering a full Irish international who is still only 27, was considered one of a promoted L2 sides’ top prospects and has then moved for what £1.6m, and played 155 games at Championship level, on a free transfer… I just think if he wasn’t ex-Oxford a lot of people would be viewing that favourably.
Bring him home I say!

A lot of people on here were excited about signing Winnall, who looked good 5 years before and had done nowt much for 3 years when we signed him.

Just say no.

He certainly has talent.
I’m surprised he hasn’t kicked on at Bristol City but I’m sure he would do better at a lower level under our coaching staff.
Its a shame it hasn’t worked out for him

A lot of people on here were excited about signing Winnall, who looked good 5 years before and had done nowt much for 3 years when we signed him.

Just say no.
Has he done nowt much though? He’s played a lot of games for Bristol though I haven’t heard much about him.

For me it’s not about the way he left. It’s his injury record and I can’t say I know much about that, other then having not seen him involved a lot recently. He had a great spell a while back but I think she suffered a bad injury since. If our coaching staff want him, that’s good enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom