By election Peterborough

Peterdev

Looks to be interesting. Brexit apparently favourites to win with the Conservatives closing the gap.
Maybe LibDems in fifth.
This looks to be a possible drubbing for Corbyn, and possibly a leadership challenge there too.
The former Labour MP for the area who went to prison for perverting the court of justice may well be a decisive factor in who leads the Labour Party

What was the vote there last time?
Wonder who the Brexit party will put forward? Will nige stand himself? Can you be an MP and an MEP at the same time?

Wonder who the Brexit party will put forward? Will nige stand himself? Can you be an MP and an MEP at the same time?
in theory yes, whether practical , or permissible, is a different story - though Farage does have his own rules , only applicable to himself ..... as a sort of parallel, theres an Oxford Councillor ,who stood in the recent local elections for a seat on a Hampshire council

The Brexit candidate is apparently Mike Greene. Ex Conservative Party. previously appeared in Channel Four's The Secret Millionaire.

close run between Labour n Tory ...with Labour winning the seat off Tories in 2017 gen election

in 2019 local elections Peterborough ended up with Tories( in control) with 28 seats, Labour17 seats, lib dem 9 seats, (plus liberal 1 seat) , green 2 seats and local area party Warrington first with 3 seats

recent MEP election Peterborough voted for Brexit party by more than double of the votes for 2nd placed Labour, with lib dems a very close 3rd

Meanwhile, the Labour candidate got rumbled for liking some anti-Semitic stuff on Facebook. Even when they should be winning, Labour find a way to lose. Perhaps they need to do a forensic review of their parliamentary candidates social media post and scrub them before pushing them in public.

What Westminster wants from this result is a Westminster result. They don't want to let the Brexit party into Parliament - it might just focus some minds on Brexit though

I’m looking forward to seeing the outcome on Friday morning.
Farage will be gleaming ear to ear

The Brexit candidate is apparently Mike Greene. Ex Conservative Party. previously appeared in Channel Four's The Secret Millionaire.
Nice part of the world. I lived in a Boreham for 20 years and stayed in a lovely B and B overlooking the harbour in Heybridge basin last year

Not sure you have the right place Peter. I live in Heybridge Basin and there are two pubs (Old Ship and Jolly Sailor). Neither have letting rooms. There
was a Tall Ship (Lady Avenel) moored in the Basin from November to March that did B&B. Now gone for the season. Could you have meant Maldon Quay?

Not sure you have the right place Peter. I live in Heybridge Basin and there are two pubs (Old Ship and Jolly Sailor). Neither have letting rooms. There
was a Tall Ship (Lady Avenel) moored in the Basin from November to March that did B&B. Now gone for the season. Could you have meant Maldon Quay?
Very close. It’s 32 The Hythe Maldon. It’s got a pub almost opposite and a lovely Italian restaurant within 200 years.
I’ve been in the Jolly Sailor. Used to be a film location for Lovejoy

Nice part of the world. I lived in a Boreham for 20 years and stayed in a lovely B and B overlooking the harbour in Heybridge basin last year
Pass through peterboro a few times a year....its much better to nagivate round and through than it was in the 70s &early 80s ... i still have nightmares from back then when i was djing at allnighters at the fleet and also wirrina , back then id manage to get horribly lost in peterboro , the only road signs that were around at the time were to very local places

It was the only place id managed to get lost ....my sense of direction is usually good ....except there, peterborough, in the 70s & early 80s

The Basin and the nearby Osea island causeway has been used as locations for numerous films and t.v. series over the years. The Fourth Protocol was extensively filmed here. Piers Brosnan and Michael Caine wandering about on the sea wall at night with Arc lights blazing 100 yards from the house a bit surreal..
Also, The Woman in Black (Daniel Ratcliffe), The Snow Goose, Lawless Heart (Bill Nighy, Douglas Henshall), The Mercy (Colin Farrell) etc,
Incidentally, just to confuse, further episodes of Lovejoy were filmed in both Jolly Sailor Heybridge Basin AND Jolly Sailor Hythe Quay Maldon.

in theory yes, whether practical , or permissible, is a different story - though Farage does have his own rules , only applicable to himself ..... as a sort of parallel, theres an Oxford Councillor ,who stood in the recent local elections for a seat on a Hampshire council

Farage does nothing in the EU parliament anyway. His voting record is atrocious but he just loves picking up a wage from them. I’m surprised his ego hasn’t seen him jump on board for a by election opportunity.

Meanwhile, the Labour candidate got rumbled for liking some anti-Semitic stuff on Facebook. Even when they should be winning, Labour find a way to lose. Perhaps they need to do a forensic review of their parliamentary candidates social media post and scrub them before pushing them in public.

What Westminster wants from this result is a Westminster result. They don't want to let the Brexit party into Parliament - it might just focus some minds on Brexit though

Considering the way Momentum select and deselect their candidates, I’m surprised that being anti-Semitic isn’t part of the job spec!

I’d love to see a Labour Party free from Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott (and Seamus Milne) free from any positions of power. The centre left elements need to grow a backbone and challenge him again. His performance against the ‘worst government in UK history’ is becoming more and more hopeless.

Farage does nothing in the EU parliament anyway. His voting record is atrocious but he just loves picking up a wage from them. I’m surprised his ego hasn’t seen him jump on board for a by election opportunity.

Considering the way Momentum select and deselect their candidates, I’m surprised that being anti-Semitic isn’t part of the job spec!

I’d love to see a Labour Party free from Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott (and Seamus Milne) free from any positions of power. The centre left elements need to grow a backbone and challenge him again. His performance against the ‘worst government in UK history’ is becoming more and more hopeless.

Didn't Farage stand in a General Election for somewhere like Hastings (or in that direction) and get beaten comfortably by a Tory in 2015?

As for Labour, I hope the moves by Tom Watson to start a moderates grouping within Labour has success in the long term in reclaiming the Party from the extremists.

I think you’ll find Nigel Farage has stood six or seven times in general elections.
Always more difficult to stand against established parties under the current first past the post though.
Not exactly a fair system when the candidate finishing a couple of votes behind the winner gets no recognition at all.
Thursday I’m sure will show a backlash with the Labour Party getting well and truly routed.
I find it incredibly disappointing that there is no credible opposition. No matter how badly the Conservatives govern they are not properly kept in check due to an inept Labour Party with extremist ideology and anti Jewish rhetoric

Yes - this - I would love to give the Tories a bloody nose with my next vote if things stay as they are but the horror of Corbyn stops me in my tracks.

His and McDonnell’s Venezuela model feted about 18 months ago ain’t looking too good now is it.......

Back
Top Bottom