By election Peterborough

Venezuela is a completely depressing insight into the madness of communism - no matter what the likes of Ash Sarkar say or some momentumistas say - it's a mental self harming ideology. Sadly, the usurper won't be any better once it shakes out either.

Looks to be interesting. Brexit apparently favourites to win with the Conservatives closing the gap.
Maybe LibDems in fifth.
This looks to be a possible drubbing for Corbyn, and possibly a leadership challenge there too.
The former Labour MP for the area who went to prison for perverting the court of justice may well be a decisive factor in who leads the Labour Party

Smashed it then.

Oh...

You could argue the "right" leaning vote was split. Equally that lacking a manifesto probably cost the Brexit Party. Sure they will learn......

Proves one thing.... vote on Brexit ( That is Leave OR Remain ) = Get Corbyn........ that is terrifying!

Farage missed a good chance there and considering he and his party had really targeted the seat doesn't bode well for him.

You could argue the "right" leaning vote was split. Equally that lacking a manifesto probably cost the Brexit Party. Sure they will learn......

Proves one thing.... vote on Brexit ( That is Leave OR Remain ) = Get Corbyn........ that is terrifying!

If the 'right' leaning vote was split, then it will have been like the 'remain' vote in the European elections.

Also, while I don't like Corbyn/Momentum etc, he can't be any worse than the incompetence demonstrated by May and the god awful, craven Muppets like Boris who are trying to replace her.

If the 'right' leaning vote was split, then it will have been like the 'remain' vote in the European elections.

Also, while I don't like Corbyn/Momentum etc, he can't be any worse than the incompetence demonstrated by May and the god awful, craven Muppets like Boris who are trying to replace her.
lets not forget the incompetant incumbants before May too .... for example former chancellor, former Bullingdon club 'chap' , & former politician, George Osborne introduced 20% VAT in 2011, after announcing it would increase temporarily in 2010- as part of the 'we're all in it together' austerity measures.

VAT was supposed to only be at 20% for (a maximum of) 5 years then reverting back to the previous VAT rate.... 8 + years on VAT remains at 20%

So if we combine the right leaning votes, does that mean the right won? Nope, who would use such an argument!

Labour are many things at the grass roots, but they are very well organised and are able to get boots to ground. Farage should be less naive in that regard in marginal seats, especially with a low turnout.

As for Corbyn in Govt, sheesh, he'd make the Maybot look competent. And she starts from a low base!

What a delightful result. Farage has said Labour won because they had data and targeted their supporters. What a revolutionary concept! So, basically, Labour cheated by canvassing at a by-election. Farage is fast out-pacing Trump for the amount of garbage that spews from his mouth.

Is it true he turned up at the count with expectations of victory (bookies favourites after all) then heard it was likely to be defeat so left sharpish?

Farage and the Brexit Party failed last night, it isn't a new party (it is built on the bones of UKIP, except now fully moulded around Farage's ego) so that excuse doesn't wash.

They were in a area that voted leave in the Referendum, had the momentum of the European elections and were able to get people out to canvas locally, so they failed.

Maybe they will have learnt that other policies are required as well.

Very hollow victory for Labour, when it should be challenging for government.
I thought brexit party would win it with the momentum of the Euro elections.
I’m not sure Corbyn will be able to take much comfort from the result, the Conservatives and Liberals less so

Very pleased with a Labour hold as we wave farewell to the dismal Theresa. Obviously still terrified by the prospect of yet another ex-public school genius waiting to lead us to the promised land but I think I will just focus on enjoying the day and leave everything else for the future.

It was a narrow victory, and I think Boris Johnson will see that it is better for the the Tories to cling on to power. Corbyn, I believe, will face a challenge from his own party if the Johnson effect takes hold. Interesting times, but surely Labour need a young* vibrant leader to have a decent chance at the polls.

If the Tories put the "celebrity/ego`s" aside and appoint someone eminently sensible & decently political (eg: Politics for the majority/right reasons) then they could easily turn things around and put the last 2 or 3 years behind them.

Extremism on both left & right is what divides (and is dividing) the country at the moment.....and that is driven by the "B" word.

There are left leaning voters who voted for leaving as well as on the right.
Equally there are those on the right who voted to remain.

And that my friends is why it is such a mess...... ;) ?

My solution.... let the EU chuck us out on the 31st October, see what happens.......... I would suggest the minds on both sides would get focused PDQ rather than kicking the can down the road. Luckily I`m not in power. :LOL:(y)

A victory that wasn't expected by many, so hardly 'hollow'. As for your last sentence. Labour and Corbyn are taking great comfort from it. Read @Paul Cannell 's quote from the Daily Mail above.

EDIT - Plus, Lib Dems did well by anyone's standards: 4,200 votes against Brexit's 9,800.

Yes, the Lib Dem vote went up by 9% according to the reports I've heard.

When you are the opposition party to a shambles government at a time of national turbulence shouldn’t you do a bit better than just about hold onto a fairly safe seat by 600 votes to a one trick pony new party in a by election? Following on from poor results in European and local elections it’s hardly a ringing endorsement of Comrade Corbyn.

Both Labour and Conservative parties seem to have been badly damaged by brexit, hard to tell whether it’s enough to effect long term change to the political status quo in this country as previously people have reverted back to the big two at general elections, but both have massive leadership decisions to make and then huge decisions to make about brexit, if either gets them wrong we could be waving goodbye to politics in this country as we have all known it.

(Unless we have some very, very old posters on here who can remember the liberal party of old, don’t think even bazzer is that ancient though)

When you are the opposition party to a shambles government at a time of national turbulence shouldn’t you do a bit better than just about hold onto a fairly safe seat by 600 votes to a one trick pony new party in a by election? Following on from poor results in European and local elections it’s hardly a ringing endorsement of Comrade Corbyn.

Both Labour and Conservative parties seem to have been badly damaged by brexit, hard to tell whether it’s enough to effect long term change to the political status quo in this country as previously people have reverted back to the big two at general elections, but both have massive leadership decisions to make and then huge decisions to make about brexit, if either gets them wrong we could be waving goodbye to politics in this country as we have all known it.

(Unless we have some very, very old posters on here who can remember the liberal party of old, don’t think even bazzer is that ancient though)

While I agree Labour should be doing far better (Corbyn/Momentum etc have ruined Labour) against this shambles of a Tory Govt it was never a fairly safe seat (they had a majority of 607 in 2017 and it needed a recount to confirm) and was previously a Tory seat for 12 years.

Sadly, FPTP will mean Labour and Tories will be somewhat insulated although at this moment I would expect a hung parliament again. Who would make up the coalition, I don't know.

Farage on The Today program this morning saying that Brexit is the single biggest issue in British Politics at the moment.

No Nigel, no it isn't....not even close.

It's you and other empty vessels like you clanging away incessantly that have made it almost impossible to ignore and you have willfully divided a country and created political paralysis as a result for your (and your fellow like-minded eye-swivellers) own gain.

And I am guessing Labour won this because they largely fought a campaign around the important domestic and local issues and didn't play Nigel's game.

Still rather amusing though that 400 poor lost souls decided to still vote for UKIP :ROFLMAO:

Yep, I`m old enough..... they had reasonable local success but that was before the SDP/"Gang of Four" and similar entities that briefly reignited the flame in 1983 when they got 25% of the vote or so.

Back
Top Bottom