Local News Bus Gates in the City Centre

Do you support Bus Gates in Oxford?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
There is now a public consultation regarding the Bus Gates in the city centre.

These gates will increase journey times and move congestion and poor air quality to more concentrated areas. As an example, anyone in North Oxford and beyond would have to get on the A34 and go via the already heavily congested Botley Road!

I can't see car users suddenly use expensive buses!

Not to forget affecting the Westgate!

This is the link to the consultation with a survey link at the end.

What are your views?

Last edited:
I lived in Coventry city centre for a couple of years. Right outside where I lived they put a bus gate in what was originally a dead end. In the first year of it being open it "caught" something crazy like 2,000 drivers.

The ones around here were ignored, they then said carry on and we`ll put cameras up.
Cameras went up with fudging great signs.
They caught people and sent warning notices......

Then they started sending PCN`s and caught 350 a DAY at the peak.

If it encourages more people to cycle or walk into work then I’m all for it (even if just in the summer).

I know people who live in Kennington, Radley and Abingdon who drive into Oxford to work at the Science Park and Universities. It’s completely unnecessary.

Fine if you’re unwell, have mobility issues etc. It’s actually (more often than not) a lot quicker to cycle in than it is to drive. When I used to work at Milton Park I’d quite often have a car pass me as I left only to pass them back in Abingdon town centre.

If it encourages more people to cycle or walk into work then I’m all for it (even if just in the summer).

I know people who live in Kennington, Radley and Abingdon who drive into Oxford to work at the Science Park and Universities. It’s completely unnecessary.

Fine if you’re unwell, have mobility issues etc. It’s actually (more often than not) a lot quicker to cycle in than it is to drive. When I used to work at Milton Park I’d quite often have a car pass me as I left only to pass them back in Abingdon town centre.
I don't think you can expect anyone to cycle even from Kennington. Imagine doing 8 hours on your get all day then needing to cycle home.

It's like asking someone to run to work, you wouldn't expect them to do it.

I don't think you can expect anyone to cycle even from Kennington. Imagine doing 8 hours on your get all day then needing to cycle home.

Im not expecting people to do it but its really not the end of the world!

Asking someone to run to work and cycling are two entirely different things. If you’ve been to the Netherlands you’ll see 1000s of people who cycle many miles to and from work work each day, I’m sure many have jobs requiring them to be on their feet all day too.

I’ve got plenty of friends that cycle to and from work who work in warehouses, care homes, hospitals and building sites.

Im not expecting people to do it but its really not the end of the world!

Asking someone to run to work and cycling are two entirely different things. If you’ve been to the Netherlands you’ll see 1000s of people who cycle many miles to and from work work each day, I’m sure many have jobs requiring them to be on their feet all day too.

I’ve got plenty of friends that cycle to and from work who work in warehouses, care homes, hospitals and building sites.
Yes Netherlands have fantastic cycle routes, cycling from East Oxford to the CC is dangerous on the Cowley Road and even more so on The Plain. Coming from North Oxford is great with the nice wide roads, bus lanes etc...

Yes Netherlands have fantastic cycle routes, cycling from East Oxford to the CC is dangerous on the Cowley Road and even more so on The Plain. Coming from North Oxford is great with the nice wide roads, bus lanes etc...

So is it because it’s currently dangerous or because we can’t expect people to do 8hrs work and then cycle 20 mins home?

I do agree that it’s dangerous 100%! More needs to be done to improve the infrastructure, perhaps the money raised from 200-300 daily fines at bus gates could be used?

So is it because it’s currently dangerous or because we can’t expect people to do 8hrs work and then cycle 20 mins home?

I do agree that it’s dangerous 100%! More needs to be done to improve the infrastructure, perhaps the money raised from 200-300 daily fines at bus gates could be used?
Both reasons I think.

Some people need to drive, shopping for a family of 4, you cant do it on a bike.

Lack of confidence and also bike maintenance are key factors.

Both reasons I think.

Some people need to drive, shopping for a family of 4, you cant do it on a bike.

Lack of confidence and also bike maintenance are key factors.

Very true but I didn’t think the bus gates were going to impact places like Tesco at Cowley or Heyford Hill Sainsbury’s etc?

True on the maintenance thing and confidence thing too. Quite a few of the local shops offer maintenance sessions which are free if you buy a bike through them.

There was a huge increase in people cycling during lockdown and I know my local bike shop had quite a long wait to get work done as they were dealing with lots more customers.864052DE-E8FA-4A56-9496-421ECF05B08E.jpeg
2521CAD2-5DA8-4D5D-B567-B76F1B29C5D9.jpeg

Very true but I didn’t think the bus gates were going to impact places like Tesco at Cowley or Heyford Hill Sainsbury’s etc?

True on the maintenance thing and confidence thing too. Quite a few of the local shops offer maintenance sessions which are free if you buy a bike through them.

There was a huge increase in people cycling during lockdown and I know my local bike shop had quite a long wait to get work done as they were dealing with lots more customers.View attachment 4158
View attachment 4159
Yes, more cycling in lockdown as people had more time so could do smaller shops and cycle for fun, not commuting.

They are putting bus gates around Cowley which will make people in Littlemore have to travel to Cowley Centre via Rose Hill.

Lazy........... think of Greta!!! :D:D

We got these in the City.......... yes they coned off the bus lanes (that you can cycle in!) to "protect people" with a lot of cones. The cones are now causing "trip hazards" to the elderly and visually impaired..... and the road surfacing in said bus lanes is abysmal.
1596015755265.png

Yes, more cycling in lockdown as people had more time so could do smaller shops and cycle for fun, not commuting.

They are putting bus gates around Cowley which will make people in Littlemore have to travel to Cowley Centre via Rose Hill.

Id imagine quite a few people were quite happy to cycle to/from work as opposed to sitting on the x3/5 Petri dishes etc.

My work involves national/international travel so cycling is kind of off the cards unless I’m in a city with bikes to hire. Personally, if I was working in Oxford I’d be doing everything I could to avoid being on a cramped bus/train regardless of COVID.

Having been unfortunate enough to have to drive in and drop my Mrs to and from work when she was pregnant I’m amazed anyone drives in. It could take me up to an hour each way coming from North Abingdon. It’s 4 miles on a bike and 20-30 mins max.

We got these in the City.......... yes they coned off the bus lanes (that you can cycle in!) to "protect people" with a lot of cones. The cones are now causing "trip hazards" to the elderly and visually impaired..... and the road surfacing in said bus lanes is abysmal.
View attachment 4160

There’s plenty of that going on, as well as cycle lanes ending at brick walls and all sorts. There’s a page on Facebook dedicated to some of the worst infrastructure and cycle route planning.

Sadly I have absolutely zero faith in local or national governments to get it right here. If I was involved I’d be speaking to the Dutch and employing a consultant to design it

I live on the edge of a town in Holland and never go into town in my car, always on my bike. Have to admit that the provisions for cyclists here are brilliant. Even have their own stoplights. Of course most of the Netherlands is flat which makes things easier for cycling. I hated trying to get up Headington Hill. But nowadays electric bikes solve that problem
Ps I don't have an e-bike.

Back
Top Bottom