Matches Burton 9k+?

Having seen the preview show, the club have highlighted a number of women behind the scenes and it's great to see them getting the recognition for what they do. It might not translate into tickets sold, but I think I did the media team a disservice when suggesting ways to acknowledge International Womens Day as they're on it.

Home sales were 6,500 at midnight.

It's not really picked up since the weekend. Although sales over the last few days are a bit below recent games, it's the fact that we were starting from a much lower base than recently that is going to be the main factor in the eventual attendance. We should do 800/900 from this point, so I'd say a total attendance of 8,000 is pretty optimistic. I think it'll be a couple of hundred below that level.

Every game between now and the end of the season is big. Hope there's a good following and everyone gets behind the lads!

Just below 6,900 at midnight last night, so decent sales yesterday, and actually reasonable sales since Monday of 1,100 which is on a par with the Sheff Wed game, just that we started from a much lower starting point.

I'd say 7,500 home fans plus what Burton. bring would be my best estimate. That's similar home numbers to the Wycombe and Wigan games and about 500 more than the Charlton and Plymouth games. It's actually not bad, and I do feel the two games on consecutive Saturdays has affected the attendance. I also think that maybe we've been a little spoiled by the recent high attendances and it was always going to be a struggle to continue them for this game.

Last edited:
In Feb 2020, just before Covid, our crowds were:-
Blackpool 7,525 H 7,049, A 476
Sunderland 9,105 H 7,329, A 1,776
Southend 7,451 H 6,966, A 485

If we can get 7,500 home fans today that will show increase of 500 on similar (Blackpool, Southend) games 2 years ago. 6.6% increase.
The games above were two weeks apart. as you say I think homes games on consecutive weeks do effect the attendance, especially those that travel some distance.

Personally I think 7.5k for Burton, who'll only bring a few hundred at most, is cracking going. As has been said, consecutive home games have a negative affect on attendances, but further than that because of what last week meant to us all every single fan would have prioritised going to that game whatever the sacrifice - which for some will include not going to this game. Add in Covid too and I think it shows how positive (pardon the pun) things are at the club at the moment, and the efforts so far have worked in getting more returning fans. I hope next season, whatever division we're in, we continue to push to get more families and youngsters going to games because our attendances the last few weeks have been stellar.

The entire point of me starting these threads was to look at the figures, and it's great to hit the 10k's but also see the season on season gains and like for like games. But it's equally important to see posts from @Upthecowboys who is taking his daughter up for the first time (hope she has a great time!) as well as seeing so many new and returning fans, including many families, over the last couple of months. On the pitch we can do everything right but still not get the result we want. Off the pitch is the same. We've got so much to be proud off and that is evident in the smaller games just as much as in the sell outs.

I meant 7,500 home fans, plus the 200/300 that Burton bring @Jolteon so maybe 7,700/7,800 in total.

The key to building on this next season is two fold. Firstly, it depends which division we're in, as if we go up a lot more people would buy season tickets, there would consistently be away followings close to capacity, and the games would be more attractive, so we'd be looking at 10,000+ every week.

If we don't go up then I think the club need to engage early, and positively, with fans regarding season tickets. The goodwill is there to entice people to convert from occasional attendee to season ticket holder, and in my view, the club could target something like 6,000 season ticket holders (rather than the existing 4,500) and this immediately makes every game 7,000+ (even the midweek games against the Accringtons and Crewes) and would push up the average exponentially. This is how that lot down the A420 have done it after their takeover. We must strike early, while the iron is hot, and the goodwill is there from a good season.

It would also mean there would be a lot less dots for some of us to count!!!

I meant 7,500 home fans, plus the 200/300 that Burton bring @Jolteon so maybe 7,700/7,800 in total.

The key to building on this next season is two fold. Firstly, it depends which division we're in, as if we go up a lot more people would buy season tickets, there would consistently be away followings close to capacity, and the games would be more attractive, so we'd be looking at 10,000+ every week.

If we don't go up then I think the club need to engage early, and positively, with fans regarding season tickets. The goodwill is there to entice people to convert from occasional attendee to season ticket holder, and in my view, the club could target something like 6,000 season ticket holders (rather than the existing 4,500) and this immediately makes every game 7,000+ (even the midweek games against the Accringtons and Crewes) and would push up the average exponentially. This is how that lot down the A420 have done it after their takeover. We must strike early, while the iron is hot, and the goodwill is there from a good season.

Agree Colin.
There must be a lot of people who gave been to the last 3 to 4 games and enjoyed it.
Growing ST numbers should be a real priority for the club for next season.
There is a real upward trajectory, and hopefully with positive things in relation to a new stadium, more will want to be part of it.

Colin, not sure which way you go but I think there are big roadworks with expected delays on A46 route round Warwick, Coventry this weekend and during March so M1 Northampton will be better route today (Even with everything being equal I think is slightly quicker anyway now)

Doubt if we would have had these sort of numbers a couple of years ago. The effort the club have gone into improving attendances has to be commended.
If we were to reach 8k today that would be something. Burton aren’t an attractive club and maybe a couple of years ago the figures would be less and as you and others have said a few hundred possibly from Burton attending.
I remeber getting into an argument with a Burton fan over attendances and asked him what their record for a home attendance was and who against, he replied it was Manchester Utd, I broke his heart when I said it was Oxford.
We have a decent away support and our Home support attendances are improving.
Special mention to you @Colin B and @Thecurraghofkildare for their painstaking dot counting and to @Scotchegg for his continued drumming up for supporters to get through the turnstiles.
Also to those of us who attend week in week out and manage to convince others to come along.
If we get promotion this season then I could see 10k every week which would be great. But if not promotion this season then definitely next season.

Come on you yellows

Colin, not sure which way you go but I think there are big roadworks with expected delays on A46 route round Warwick, Coventry this weekend and during March so M1 Northampton will be better route today (Even with everything being equal I think is slightly quicker anyway now)
Cheers Clive. I'd have gone M1 A43 anyway, unless my Sat Nav told me otherwise. It's the return journey midweek that kills me, when they close roads off with no warning until you're there!!!

Last Nottingham to Oxford journey for me today, as I've sold the house and move out on the 14th. For the rest of this season I'll have the horrible journey up from our house in Kent, while we look for a house somewhere between there and Oxford.

Cheers Clive. I'd have gone M1 A43 anyway, unless my Sat Nav told me otherwise. It's the return journey midweek that kills me, when they close roads off with no warning until you're there!!!

Last Nottingham to Oxford journey for me today, as I've sold the house and move out on the 14th. For the rest of this season I'll have the horrible journey up from our house in Kent, while we look for a house somewhere between there and Oxford.

Why not buy a little closer to Oxford, say, around Kidlington?

Lots of positive development of recreation facilities planned for there I hear.

Just below 6,900 at midnight last night, so decent sales yesterday, and actually reasonable sales since Monday of 1,100 which is on a par with the Sheff Wed game, just that we started from a much lower starting point.

I'd say 7,500 home fans plus what Burton. bring would be my best estimate. That's similar home numbers to the Wycombe and Wigan games and about 500 more than the Charlton and Plymouth games. It's actually not bad, and I do feel the two games on consecutive Saturdays has affected the attendance. I also think that maybe we've been a little spoiled by the recent high attendances and it was always going to be a struggle to continue them for this game.
7,414 home fans.

86 out. Where are Stevenage when you need them???!!!

Back
Top Bottom