Bristol Rovers game

It is crowd/public safety that drives TVP advice and recommendations, not money

But I do take your point, there are financial implications if that advice is acted upon.

My point was that it is TVP who are being criticised if they offer such advice or recommendations. But what else are they supposed to do?

They can’t force a pub to close for a few hours but surely it has to show some social responsibility?

And my point is that “advice” is scaring landlords enough to close their business down for a few hours, thus losing them money. When was the last time something “kicked off” in Oxford between Brizzle and us. It’s scaremongering.

With an earlier kick off, pubs would maybe need to consider closing between 3 and 5 when normal trading would be fairly light compared to between 5 and 7 for a normal kick off. Most businesses would see this as less of an inconvenience than potentially having to hire in additional door staff or sustaining damage following a tear up or two.

You can’t just send staff home for 2 hours!

Seeing some of the comments on here pretty much sums up why it will always be difficult for plod and fans to ever operate in harmony.

99% of fans are perfectly decent people who want to enjoy a game of football and have a few beers with friends before a game of football.

Throw a few idiot morons in the mix and it is always the masses that will suffer.

For the safety of the masses, I have no issue with “advice or recommendations” being offered by TVP and if any proprietors had an once of responsibility, they would take that advice and act on it.

Not sure why some on here would have any issue with that... Junior_1 ??

Arguing about who said what or why seems petty. Does it really matter? So you have to drink a beer out of a plastic cup or can’t get into a pub for a few hours, is it really so bloody important?

Of course, it is sad that it has to be this way, but this is football and it is endemic in the game.

If you don’t like it go and watch Rugby, otherwise, stop looking for blame or pointing the finger.

Agree with most of that. Harmony with the police though is extremely difficult to marry, when TVP start throwing their weight around unnecessary at games. Where the riot squad and especially the horses are used as battering rams against a crowd where children and women are trying to get from A to B, and are nothing to do with any "hooligan" activity.

Some TVP seem to lose their heads and get caught up in the melee. TVP need to get back to basics with fans, as PC Paul Philips used to, keeping a level head in a difficult situation.

Broke Jason's thumb, Sgt Phillips, allegedly; back in the day. Not much of a way to treat a steward.

Better than squinty knuckles. Some say.

Does anyone actually believe that trouble will be prevented by making the game a 1.00pm kick off? Drink will be served in some pubs at 9.00am and I'm sure if groups want a scrap they will do it sober anyway

Does anyone actually believe that trouble will be prevented by making the game a 1.00pm kick off? Drink will be served in some pubs at 9.00am and I'm sure if groups want a scrap they will do it sober anyway

It won't stop it, nothing will. But it will reduce the risk which is why it is used for a lot of high profile games.

Agree with most of that. Harmony with the police though is extremely difficult to marry, when TVP start throwing their weight around unnecessary at games. Where the riot squad and especially the horses are used as battering rams against a crowd where children and women are trying to get from A to B, and are nothing to do with any "hooligan" activity.

Some TVP seem to lose their heads and get caught up in the melee. TVP need to get back to basics with fans, as PC Paul Philips used to, keeping a level head in a difficult situation.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but isn't this exactly what a police officer tried to do on this forum a year or two back? Came on with the intention of building bridges and starting a dialogue, which is what I assume you mean by getting back to basics, and just got roundly abused until he left again?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but isn't this exactly what a police officer tried to do on this forum a year or two back? Came on with the intention of building bridges and starting a dialogue, which is what I assume you mean by getting back to basics, and just got roundly abused until he left again?

This feller?

I still have the letter that was sent from licensing to all city centre pubs. We asked them to consider it if they, the pubs, were used heavily on match days to reduce the likelihood of them being thrown, as occurred at the away fixture in October. Again, asked for it to be a consideration only.

When did he leave?

I recall that basically few people had a problem turned up. Could be wrong though!

I've got an under 18's ticket for the North Stand, X51. Free to good home. PM me your mobile if you're interested. I normally go into the ground about 10 - 5 mins before kick off.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but isn't this exactly what a police officer tried to do on this forum a year or two back? Came on with the intention of building bridges and starting a dialogue, which is what I assume you mean by getting back to

Maybe he's on the phone to Paul Phillips, asking how operations should be conducted this afternoon?

The newish TVP guy, with the glasses, who seems to spend the game walking around the ground, doesn't half look like Barry from auf wiedersehen pet, actor Timothy Spall

DFO, Somthing Fans Officer? I can just about understand that on a non match day you would be on social media. But surely on a thr day of a high-profile game you would be better employed at the ground

Back
Top Bottom