Brighton v Crystal Palace FAC 3rd Round.

mcf86

Should be a keenly fought encounter, and a good atmosphere, suits me on a chilly dark Monday early January -thanks to BT!

Arch-rivals Brighton & Hove Albion and Crystal Palace clash for a place in the FA Cup fourth round on Monday night and the fixture will go down in history.
The match is the first competitive fixture in England to trial video assistant refereeing (VAR) technology
and all eyes will be on the Amex to see how the experiment will play out.
Premier League survival undoubtedly remains the priority for both these clubs but neither Roy Hodgson nor Chris Hughton will want to lose to a rival and you can expect both teams to play strong sides.

Should be a keenly fought encounter, and a good atmosphere, suits me on a chilly dark Monday early January -thanks to BT!

Arch-rivals Brighton & Hove Albion and Crystal Palace clash for a place in the FA Cup fourth round on Monday night and the fixture will go down in history.
The match is the first competitive fixture in England to trial video assistant refereeing (VAR) technology
and all eyes will be on the Amex to see how the experiment will play out.
Premier League survival undoubtedly remains the priority for both these clubs but neither Roy Hodgson nor Chris Hughton will want to lose to a rival and you can expect both teams to play strong sides.
Bet Arsenal wish they had the technology yesterday! ?

I know it’s on telly but there are shedloads of empty seats.

I know it’s on telly but there are shedloads of empty seats.
Supposed to be a bitter rivalry between seagulls n eagles, must be the avian breeding season judging by the many empty seats ?(there were 'only' 12 banning orders issued following the 'incidents earlier this season....theres more than 12 empty seats!)

I think they said that Palace had had their full allocation. Empty seats just look so bad, and in a cup game with no season ticket holders to get upset there’s no reason not to let in a few youngsters at concessionary rates or even, (God forbid) FREE.

Poor match, Brighton deserved the win though. Pity there wasn't a controversial decision by the Ref, the common taters were just itching for something to liven up proceedings so they could chat about the pro's n con's of the VAR (Video Assistant Referee) and the decision/s. Yes, I was shocked by the empty seats, mainly the home supporters or lack of. Maybe many anticipated it being a dour encounter, even so, poor show.

A lot of people stayed away because of the bitter rivalry between the two firms. Last time out there were serious injuries incurred by flying handbags and hair pulling ?

VAR was used with no delay to the game:

• Minute 14th
    What happened
    Andros Townsend’s shot for Palace hit the chest of Beram Kayal, of Brighton, and the ball went behind
    Referee’s decision
    Corner
    Delay for VAR
    No (a few moments later the BT commentator Ian Darke said: “It was looked at, and the referee got it right.”)
    VAR decision
    Corner
  • Minute 25th
    What happened
    Ezequiel Schelotto, the Brighton right back, passed inside for Dale Stephens to fire in the opening goal of the game
    Referee’s decision
    Goal
    Delay for VAR
    No (VAR made a brief routine check to ensure all was
    in order)
    VAR decision
    Goal
  • Minute 87th
    What happened
    Uwe Hünemeier headed down Solly March’s free kick and Glenn Murray knocked the ball over the line with his knee
    Referee’s decision
    Goal
    Delay for VAR
    No (VAR checked that neither Hünemeier nor Murray were offside, and that Murray did not handle the ball)
    VAR decision
    Goal

A penalty given in A-League game between Perth Glory and Melbourne City highlights one of the major problems with VAR.

The penalty was given on the pitch. The replay demonstrated it was a blatant dive and the contact was actually caused by the dive. The VAR official didn't change the decision even though blatant and seeing plenty of different angles because 'it wasn't an obvious error'. So an obviously wrong decision still happens, just with an added process.

I don't blame the original decision due to the Ref's position but if the VAR official isn't going to change blatant cheating then it is already a failed experiment. This particular VAR decision isn't unique either where diving is ignored.

Also, clarity about what constitutes deliberate handball needs to be published as some of the VAR decisions for penalties in the A League have been laughable (ie. a ball being deflected onto a hand from 2 yards and a penalty given as the arm was 'in an unnatural position' although still by the player's side.

I know it isn't England but they will be using the same guidelines and these officials could end up doing it for international fixtures.

Also one of those involved in the process of VAR got sacked in Germany after given decisions to the team he supports

A penalty given in A-League game between Perth Glory and Melbourne City highlights one of the major problems with VAR.

The penalty was given on the pitch. The replay demonstrated it was a blatant dive and the contact was actually caused by the dive. The VAR official didn't change the decision even though blatant and seeing plenty of different angles because 'it wasn't an obvious error'. So an obviously wrong decision still happens, just with an added process.

I don't blame the original decision due to the Ref's position but if the VAR official isn't going to change blatant cheating then it is already a failed experiment. This particular VAR decision isn't unique either where diving is ignored.

Also, clarity about what constitutes deliberate handball needs to be published as some of the VAR decisions for penalties in the A League have been laughable (ie. a ball being deflected onto a hand from 2 yards and a penalty given as the arm was 'in an unnatural position' although still by the player's side.

I know it isn't England but they will be using the same guidelines and these officials could end up doing it for international fixtures.

The laws have been changed it no longer has to be "deliberate"

The laws have been changed it no longer has to be "deliberate"

Maybe so but a deflection from 2 yards on to a defender's arm by somebody's side is not handball unless they've changed it to a penalty is given whenever it hits the arm/hand*. Hence clarity is needed.

Back
Top Bottom