Brexit

For one, we'll be able to trade with the world and not be forced to purchase wheat from Spain at inflated prices.

Interesting to see Macron on a schmooze fest over here last week. Talking of military co-operation, etc.

We
For one, we'll be able to trade with the world and not be forced to purchase wheat from Spain at inflated prices.

Interesting to see Macron on a schmooze fest over here last week. Talking of military co-operation, etc.

We can already trade with the rest of the world and funnily enough do.

We

We can already trade with the rest of the world and funnily enough do.
Not on all items. The EU imposes heavy tariffs on items from certain places (like wheat from Canada) to encourage trade on the internal market. Leaving the EU gives us far more flexibility of where we can buy items from and could bring food bills down.

Not on all items. The EU imposes heavy tariffs on items from certain places (like wheat from Canada) to encourage trade on the internal market. Leaving the EU gives us far more flexibility of where we can buy items from and could bring food bills down.

Yes, but we can still trade with them. Also is Canadian wheat now covered by the free trade agreement?

The other thing about the food restrictions is protection on standards (animal welfare etc) which actually protects our farming industry. Our standards could not be maintained in straight competition with the US for example due to far lower standards (such as chlorinated Chicken or the Beef industry). So it is not just about cost.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Wouldn’t it also work though that if imported chicken and beef becomes more expensive then our own farming industries then pick up and it makes it easier for them

The US farming industry won't improve standards just to trade in the UK. Our own industry would have to join a race to the bottom to compete.

The only way we could compete is by maintaining the standards but do you think the powerful US Agriculture Industry lobby* would accept a free trade agreement with that being the case? I certainly don't.

*The Trump administration would listen to them as remember the Make America great mantra. And look what moves his regime have made already with Bombardier and the recent tariffs announced against importing Washing Machines and Solar Panels.

• React
Wouldn’t it also work though that if imported chicken and beef becomes more expensive then our own farming industries then pick up and it makes it easier for them

The US farming industry won't improve standards just to trade in the UK. Our own industry would have to join a race to the bottom to compete.

The only way we could compete is by maintaining the standards but do you think the powerful US Agriculture Industry lobby* would accept a free trade agreement with that being the case? I certainly don't.

*The Trump administration would listen to them as remember the Make America great mantra. And look what moves his regime have made already with Bombardier and the recent tariffs announced against importing Washing Machines and Solar Panels.

No I don’t mean it would five out farming industry a market in America, I mean that it will pick u domestically. If things start to become more expensive imported, then u automatically turn to the home grown guaranteed quality surely ?

No I don’t mean it would five out farming industry a market in America, I mean that it will pick u domestically. If things start to become more expensive imported, then u automatically turn to the home grown guaranteed quality surely ?

I am talking about our domestic food/farming industry/market, not exporting. To carry on the US Industry discussion; unless you introduce tariffs (the US won't accept that) then US produce will be cheaper than our produce if standards aren't maintained. Unless our farmers/food manufacturers lower their animal welfare standards/production standards etc in a race to the bottom then on cost we wouldn't be able to compete.

• React
At what cost though Gazza? Are you happy to open the border to any Indians visa free just to have a trade deal?

Reply to Gary

• React
At what cost though Gazza? Are you happy to open the border to any Indians visa free just to have a trade deal?
Reply to Gary
In all honesty, a significant portion of immigrants from outside the EU are Indian (9% by birth). Super educated, very intelligent and will work for a pittance compared with locals. All part of a trade deal and what both sides want. Can't see us buying wheat from India though. Can you?

Yes, but we can still trade with them. Also is Canadian wheat now covered by the free trade agreement?

The other thing about the food restrictions is protection on standards (animal welfare etc) which actually protects our farming industry. Our standards could not be maintained in straight competition with the US for example due to far lower standards (such as chlorinated Chicken or the Beef industry). So it is not just about cost.
Even with WTO tariffs (as they would be when go, but Canada can choose to not enforce them), I believe it's still cheaper than what we get from Spain in part because of the limited capacity with the EU markets pushing prices up while punishing those who want to go outside.

Obviously, there are standards to be met, but it's up to the UK to legislate and identify what appropriate standards we are to keep. Take a look at how chickens and pigs have been kept in Holland compared to the UK. The conditions are not so good, so be careful to check where your meat comes from if you care about animal welfare!

In all honesty, a significant portion of immigrants from outside the EU are Indian (9% by birth). Super educated, very intelligent and will work for a pittance compared with locals. All part of a trade deal and what both sides want. Can't see us buying wheat from India though. Can you?

Even with WTO tariffs (as they would be when go, but Canada can choose to not enforce them), I believe it's still cheaper than what we get from Spain in part because of the limited capacity with the EU markets pushing prices up while punishing those who want to go outside.

Obviously, there are standards to be met, but it's up to the UK to legislate and identify what appropriate standards we are to keep. Take a look at how chickens and pigs have been kept in Holland compared to the UK. The conditions are not so good, so be careful to check where your meat comes from if you care about animal welfare!

Do you genuinely believe our food standards would survive if we were to agree a free trade deal with the US?

Do you genuinely believe our food standards would survive if we were to agree a free trade deal with the US?
Judging by the talk from Maybot long ago, they are as unkeen as unkneen can be regarding chlorinated chicken or hormonally enhanced beef being introduced to the food market. Until we get to the point of talking, it's all hyperbole. And if it is let in, we consumers have the choice. Don't buy it!

I see Trump is stirring it up in Davos. Will check his twitter account later on to see how many death threats he and his family have this time around.

Judging by the talk from Maybot long ago, they are as unkeen as unkneen can be regarding chlorinated chicken or hormonally enhanced beef being introduced to the food market. Until we get to the point of talking, it's all hyperbole. And if it is let in, we consumers have the choice. Don't buy it!

I see Trump is stirring it up in Davos. Will check his twitter account later on to see how many death threats he and his family have this time around.

I'll leave this here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-42836559/donald-trump-regulation-is-stealth-taxation

• React
Is that a surprise? The walking away from the Obama era agreements was the start right? Let's see the reality. If you believe the kooks, he's got dementia, he's dying of heart disease, he's in the pocket of Russia, etc, so he won't be there long enough to make an impact.

The man's bark and bite are so different. For such a despised and awful man, so many CEOs queued for an hour to see that speech.

Bit confused here. Are you suggesting importing Indians in to undercut the British workforce is what people / the government want from Brexit? If so it seems you lost touch with the yoot a few decades ago.

Is that a surprise? The walking away from the Obama era agreements was the start right? Let's see the reality. If you believe the kooks, he's got dementia, he's dying of heart disease, he's in the pocket of Russia, etc, so he won't be there long enough to make an impact.

The man's bark and bite are so different. For such a despised and awful man, so many CEOs queued for an hour to see that speech.
Like 6000 paid money to watch the last home match?

Not a surprise at all. But then it gives major credence to the idea that if we want free trade with the US then our standards will have to drop (ie. Food industry).

Also, of course CEOs queued to see him as he is effectively talking about significantly reducing social responsibility, environmental protection, financial protections etc so that CEOs can get their company to make increased short term profit which makes them look 'great.

Bit confused here. Are you suggesting importing Indians in to undercut the British workforce is what people / the government want from Brexit? If so it seems you lost touch with the yoot a few decades ago.
No, after all we've done that with EU migrants already. Thanks Tony...
Not a surprise at all. But then it gives major credence to the idea that if we want free trade with the US then our standards will have to drop (ie. Food industry).

Also, of course CEOs queued to see him as he is effectively talking about significantly reducing social responsibility, environmental protection, financial protections etc so that CEOs can get their company to make increased short term profit which makes them look 'great.
If we want free trade or agree to remove tariffs. I can't think anyone knows as we cannot negotiate yet. As EU deals have shown, some bits are in, some bits are out. It's not an on/off switch, all or nothing deal. Someone better read Art of the Deal and do a better job of it than Chuck Schumer did.

I see Apple have repatriated some of their significant mountain of offshore cash and are investing in jobs and factories in the America. And African American employment is continuing to rise to highest levels ever. Most definitely not all good but not all bad either. An intriguing and volatile house of cards.

No, after all we've done that with EU migrants already. Thanks Tony...

If we want free trade or agree to remove tariffs. I can't think anyone knows as we cannot negotiate yet. As EU deals have shown, some bits are in, some bits are out. It's not an on/off switch, all or nothing deal. Someone better read Art of the Deal and do a better job of it than Chuck Schumer did.

I see Apple have repatriated some of their significant mountain of offshore cash and are investing in jobs and factories in the America. And African American employment is continuing to rise to highest levels ever. Most definitely not all good but not all bad either. An intriguing and volatile house of cards.
So why do you highlight importing educated Indians to work for a pittance of locals? Don't forget the millions of Brits that have taken advantage of working and living in other eu countries. It's arrogant to think it's a one way relationship.

• React
Back
Top Bottom