Votes: 77 44.0%
  • Call in the Donald

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Call in Noel Edmonds

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • I don't care anymore

Votes: 37 21.1%

• Total voters

Relative to Oxford this matters more.................."Problems recruiting and retaining staff because of the high cost of living in the area" ............... a Band 5 Nurse will start on £23k a year. Try finding affordable accommodation on that.

Our Trust has confirmed the Government stance that all EU citizens working in the NHS will retain residency and employment.

Then you can factor in the bursary, the job appeal and lots of other factors.............. like EU nursing staff taking as much training as the NHS will provide then "going home" better qualified than when they arrived.

There are many more factors than just Brexit.

Relative to Oxford this matters more.................."Problems recruiting and retaining staff because of the high cost of living in the area" ............... a Band 5 Nurse will start on £23k a year. Try finding affordable accommodation on that.

Our Trust has confirmed the Government stance that all EU citizens working in the NHS will retain residency and employment.

Then you can factor in the bursary, the job appeal and lots of other factors.............. like EU nursing staff taking as much training as the NHS will provide then "going home" better qualified than when they arrived.

One nurse I was talking to recently found it cheaper to live in London and commute to Oxford than live in Oxford!

CaMORON took the bursary away for student nurses as if it wasnt difficult enough for them.

Big word 'when'. Twice as long as 'if'.

Regardless of how we do, youth unemployment in Greece,Spain and Italy will still be over 30%. Imagine the reaction of the" Told you so's" if youth unemployment in Britain was to reach 20% after Brexit,never mind the 40% + in Greece ! Italy will renege on its Budget tomorrow,and the pack of cards will start to collapse.

youth unemployment in Britain is well concealed by zero hours contracts.

Still I'n delighted to see that you carry on marching enthusiastically towards the glorious future promised by those lovers of the workers Jacob "moved my hedge fund to Dublin" Rees Mogg and Nigel Farage,.

BMW aren't so keen.

youth unemployment in Britain is well concealed by zero hours contracts.

Still I'n delighted to see that you carry on marching enthusiastically towards the glorious future promised by those lovers of the workers Jacob "moved my hedge fund to Dublin" Rees Mogg and Nigel Farage,.

BMW aren't so keen.
False!! Mogg has always had funds in Dublin as he has funds all over the world....nothing at all to do with Brexit. as for BMW ......about to refit cowley to accomodate the new electric Mini,hence the month shutdown to rejig the lines etc............... but dont let that get in the way of a good ol scaremonger story eh? ;) ;)

Just wondering how Switzerland cope with having 5 "frictionless" borders and the EU are getting narky about 1 in Ireland??

Just wondering how Switzerland cope with having 5 "frictionless" borders and the EU are getting narky about 1 in Ireland??

It is Ireland who are bothered by the border issue (including because of the terms of the Good Friday Agreement), the rest of the EU are backing up their fellow member. Did Switzerland have terrorism issues on their borders?

It is Ireland who are bothered by the border issue (including because of the terms of the Good Friday Agreement), the rest of the EU are backing up their fellow member. Did Switzerland have terrorism issues on their borders?

So its an EU issue...the same EU we are leaving. Crack on then, leave it as it is.
If the EU want a harder border they can install it and suffer the consequences.

So its an EU issue...the same EU we are leaving. Crack on then, leave it as it is.

It doesn't work like that because of the Good Friday Agreement and our commitments our Govt agreed to under it. Our Govt also has already made a commitment not to have a hard Border with the backstop. The contradictions of the DUP in their position and the power they have over May's Govt is making it very difficult for an agreement to be made.

Why not exactly? Our Government position is "no hard border" in line with GFA etc. If the EU put one up then that is their issue.... created by them.

Why not exactly? Our Government position is "no hard border" in line with GFA etc. If the EU put one up then that is their issue.... created by them.

Because our Govt has made a commitment and would have to operate under WTO rules. If we didn't other countries could raise a dispute under WTO rules (as an indirect example, just like Moldova are currently stopping our application to access WTO Public contracts market worth $1.7 trillion).

Wait, so are you saying that because it'll be the EU putting up a border then it ceases to be a UK issue? If a border is put between NI and the Republic it would destroy the Good Friday Agreement and ruin the peace process in Northern Ireland, no matter who puts it up.

What consequences would they be, and why would putting up a border make the EU suffer more than the people actually living in Northern Ireland and the Republic?

• React
Reactions: Ian
Regardless of how we do, youth unemployment in Greece,Spain and Italy will still be over 30%. Imagine the reaction of the" Told you so's" if youth unemployment in Britain was to reach 20% after Brexit,never mind the 40% + in Greece ! Italy will renege on its Budget tomorrow,and the pack of cards will start to collapse.
The thing that does surprise me is the absence (apparently) of any concern from the EU of what will happen to Europe as a result of no deal.
IF the 'threat of not being able to fly in and out if Europe happens as an example (and I doubt if it will be a problem for more than a few weeks), then the Countries who will probably suffer more than any will be .... Yes Spain Greece France and Italy.
I am not surprised that many of the Countries are desperate for a deal.
Macron appears to be accepting of pain for Europe to maintain the EU markets rules (and I get that), but putting even more stress on Spain and Greece especially could cause huge problems in these countries.
When push comes to shove I wonder how much backtracking of this tough talking will happen?

Actually, reports would seem to suggest that planes are much less likely to be falling out of the sky after a No Deal Brexit.

This is because they're not going to be in the sky in the first place!
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/25/avo...ill-take-a-huge-amount-of-work-iata-says.html
I actually think that the idea of no flights is ridiculous.
The regulations and safety of UK flights Is right up there with anything in the World.
IF there is a difficulty then it will be due to a lack if a pragmatic approach not a safety issue.
Europe accept flights in from the Philippines (only relatively recently as it was considered a safety risk until then) and many countries with less rigerous flight safety than the UK.
My suspicion is that there will be a short term problem but pretty quickly the pragmatic approach will be taken and aircraft will be taking millions of Belts on holiday to the Continent (as well as business last I be etc)

But the EU simply cannot give us a 'good deal' i.e. let us pick the bits of the arrangement we want to keep and those we want to get out of (if anyone actually agrees which items fall into which of those camps!). Because if they do, that is the end of the EU - every other country will sooner or later do the same, citing the UK as an example and precedent.

Of course, some of the swivel-eyed loons on the extremes of Brexit would like us to 'just leave' and throw our lot in with other trading partners such as the Trump-led US, the despotic and ambitious Chinese and probably the Saudis as well rather than deal with other Europeans (yes, we are) with whom we as a country and culture have far more in common.

Millions of belts,,,at least we have a British export we can depend on?

Back
Top Bottom