Votes: 77 44.0%
  • Call in the Donald

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Call in Noel Edmonds

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • I don't care anymore

Votes: 37 21.1%

• Total voters
Well it sounds like Swinson has finally come to her senses, and realized that they're not going to get a People's Vote, or Revoke Article 50, with the current parliament so an election is needed. We may well have the weird scenario of the most pro-Remain and pro-Brexit wings of parliament working together to ensure a December GE......

…...which of course is going to leave Labour completely isolated (or maybe just with the backing of Caroline Lucas and a couple of Welshmen).

But with a bit of luck, they won't be able to block it on their own, and a GE will be scheduled this week.

Then all eyes should be on Farage - because I really do think that the ferocity of the Brexit Party's campaign is going to have a huge impact on the election. If he let's it go, then I could see BoJo getting a majority. If he goes at it hammer and tongs, and his party campaign loudly up and down the country blasting BoJo's deal, then all bets are off and nothing would surprise me.

Could you be specific about what I’ve made up?

I know that now Boris Johnson is Prime Minister (“ a pathological liar with no moral compass of any kind “ as one of his former colleagues called him) it’s hard for you Brexit supporters to know the difference but it would help the rest of us understand where you’re coming from.
Show me where I have talked about the EU being undemocratic, I bet I can find a speach by your mate Corbyn saying its undemocratic quicker than you can find me saying it.

Just so you avoid wasting any more time repeating your waffling about Boris, I wont be voting for him, iv'e never voted Tory and i never will. However nor will I be voting Labour under Corbyn, the speach by Ian Austin covers the reasons nicely. Always been a euro sceptic, plenty online to prove it, flip flop, leader of a racist political party.

As an ardent Remainer, STILL waiting for a coherent set of reasons why Leaving is our best option, I will obviously never agree with you on the subject of Brexit, but it seems to me childishly reckless to assume that we will never agree on anything political. Same goes for the other vehement and very active Leavers on this forum.

Indeed, like you I will never vote for Boris or any other Tory, but neither would I consider voting Labour again whilst Corbyn is in charge. I am 'liberal' (small 'L') in my views and thoughts, and in the past Labour has been the only party with any authority or of any size whose policies even vaguely aligned with my thoughts on fairness and equality. Not any longer. Corbyn has single-handedly turned a potential Labour revival into the likelihood of the party not seeing power again for decades.

Roll on the general election when I shall make a point of voting Liberal Democrat or Green. Not decided yet.

All good points. I wonder what position Labour would be in the polls if someone like Keir Starmer were leader.

I can empathise with much of the above regarding voting intentions but in the 40 odd years that I have been able to present myself at the ballot box, I have voted for just about every (reasonable) party that has put itself forward, yet I have never been represented by anyone other than a Conservative MP.

And I cannot see that changing at the next election or any election in my lifetime - welcome to the electoral ward of Henley.

I can empathise with much of the above regarding voting intentions but in the 40 odd years that I have been able to present myself at the ballot box, I have voted for just about every (reasonable) party that has put itself forward, yet I have never been represented by anyone other than a Conservative MP.

And I cannot see that changing at the next election or any election in my lifetime - welcome to the electoral ward of Henley.

Same in Leicester West, just the other way around for me. Another reason for genuine PR but that is unlikely in my lifetime!

Elsewhere in Leicester it seems Mr Vaz will be "taking a break" for 6 months!!

If Boris & Nigel bury the hatchet (in a ditch maybe?) then the scale of landslide could be enormous................... if we get a GE.

Similar in West Oxfordshire.

Douglas Hurd, Shaun Woodward, David Cameron parachuted in, followed by Robert Courts (current majority 5700)

All Tories, however Shaun Woodward did defect to Labour whilst a sitting MP.

I’ve never felt my vote would make a difference in a GE in West Oxon, and that’s why the referendum was different in that you really did feel that you were having a say and your vote could make a difference. You only have to look at the record turnout, people young and old who would not normally bother to vote decided their vote could make a difference.

As an aside the people of West Oxon voted to remain (approx 51/49 from memory) so if and when we have a GE it will be interesting to see how the vote goes. I won’t be surprised to see the LDs eat into the Tory majority with Labour performing badly.

If Boris & Nigel bury the hatchet (in a ditch maybe?) then the scale of landslide could be enormous................... if we get a GE.

I think that's the key as well, EY. If they come to an agreement, then I see nothing other than a Conservative/Leave majority. That would make up for the seats the Tories will undoubtedly lose in Scotland and other pro-remain areas.

If nothing else, we live in interesting times!

As an ardent Remainer, STILL waiting for a coherent set of reasons why Leaving is our best option, I will obviously never agree with you on the subject of Brexit, but it seems to me childishly reckless to assume that we will never agree on anything political. Same goes for the other vehement and very active Leavers on this forum.

Indeed, like you I will never vote for Boris or any other Tory, but neither would I consider voting Labour again whilst Corbyn is in charge. I am 'liberal' (small 'L') in my views and thoughts, and in the past Labour has been the only party with any authority or of any size whose policies even vaguely aligned with my thoughts on fairness and equality. Not any longer. Corbyn has single-handedly turned a potential Labour revival into the likelihood of the party not seeing power again for decades.

Roll on the general election when I shall make a point of voting Liberal Democrat or Green. Not decided yet.
Fair post that Pete, as a leaver I wont be voting green or liberal either. Not much on offer for a working class leaver, that is assuming we have left by the time the next election arrives......

I think that's the key as well, EY. If they come to an agreement, then I see nothing other than a Conservative/Leave majority. That would make up for the seats the Tories will undoubtedly lose in Scotland and other pro-remain areas.

If nothing else, we live in interesting times!
Didnt Oxford east and west constituencies overwhelming vote to remain? ? ? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

December GE then it seems ......

Dunno, Sarge. I'm in Leicestershire. Staunch Tory and Leave area around me, so my vote won't count for much anyway!
In "normal" times I would say the same, I'm in West Berks and that has been Tory for years although I think liberals did win here decades ago. However we are not in "normal" times, in the Euro elections the seat voted brexit, the MP is Benyon and he felt the tip of Bojo's boot when he voted against him. IF Benyon stood against the Tory and the brexit party also field a candidate the tory vote may split 3 ways letting the liberal in. Maybe not as boring as usual.

Snap. Same applies to me! No point in me turning out really. I will because I think people should vote.

As people are rightly saying - these are strange times.
I think we'll see a number of constituencies change hands in directions that have never previously been imagined at this election.

My vote is in the Westminster constituency, and traditionally it's been an easy 10,000+ Tory majority. In fact, since it was founded in 1950, the constituency has never elected anyone other than a Tory.

But it is prime Remain territory, the incumbent MP has just announced he's standing down because he can't stomach BoJo's stance on the EU and the Lib Dems are throwing Chuka Umunna at the seat. I think it could flip, like a lot of other seats in London and the South East.

But, there's also going to be long-standing Labour constituencies in Leave areas that are equally going to flip the other way - depending on what Nige does, of course.

Gonna be an unusual looking electorial map, that's for sure.

As people are rightly saying - these are strange times.
I think we'll see a number of constituencies change hands in directions that have never previously been imagined at this election.

My vote is in the Westminster constituency, and traditionally it's been an easy 10,000+ Tory majority. In fact, since it was founded in 1950, the constituency has never elected anyone other than a Tory.

But it is prime Remain territory, the incumbent MP has just announced he's standing down because he can't stomach BoJo's stance on the EU and the Lib Dems are throwing Chuka Umunna at the seat. I think it could flip, like a lot of other seats in London and the South East.

But, there's also going to be long-standing Labour constituencies in Leave areas that are equally going to flip the other way - depending on what Nige does, of course.

Gonna be an unusual looking electorial map, that's for sure.
The problem with Chuka is can anyone really trust him? He's flip flopped around parliamentary parties and one Remainer I know thinks he's a horrid person whose only care in the world is Chuka. I can't speak for those constituents, but he will require a hell of a shine to remove the stank around him even as an arch remainer.

But do agree, nothing is taken for granted here. No party has really been a shining light of parliamentary fortitude and as such, perhaps a hung parliament with a lot of new MPs could be a force for change?

The problem with Chuka is can anyone really trust him? He's flip flopped around parliamentary parties and one Remainer I know thinks he's a horrid person whose only care in the world is Chuka. I can't speak for those constituents, but he will require a hell of a shine to remove the stank around him even as an arch remainer.

Can anyone really trust Boris? He's flip flopped around policy positions, is also - by all accounts - a horrid person and his only care in the world is clearly himself.

But while a large swathe of the electorate hates him for it.....probably even more love him. Because he's very good at making impassioned speeches about whatever is his populist policy position of the moment, and he's outstanding at self-promotion and has name-recognition through-the-roof - and let's not try and deny that this goes a long way in politics.

Chuka is like a mini-Boris, just on the other side and much less successful.
The fact that he's a bit of a t**t is something that only a very small proportion of his electorate is going to know or care about...….
And while I do know and care about it......I'm still going to grit by teeth and vote for him because I'm a fairly centrist remainer.

In Abingdon it’s a pretty close battle between the Lib Dems and Conservatives. Although a bit of a divisive figure (largely depending on your Brexit point of view) Layla Moran and her team have certainly been more proactive in improving things in the local area.

I imagine they’ll likely win again by perhaps a bigger margin than in previous years but we’ll wait and see. As a member of the party and ‘snowflake remoaner’ it’s perhaps fair to say I’m not impartial and will be voting for them again.

I think we may well see a shake up in the Labour leadership by the time we reach the New Year when the Labour membership realise their party is completely unelectable under Corbyn.

Back
Top Bottom