Votes: 77 44.0%
  • Call in the Donald

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Call in Noel Edmonds

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • I don't care anymore

Votes: 37 21.1%

• Total voters
The majority of those that voted did so to leave. Those that didn’t, that was their choice not to bother.
I’m just saying parliament decides as it’s up to them whether they accept the vote or dismiss it.
It’s just advisory and they can ignore what the outcome was.

Lest we forget:

.."498 MPs backed the government's European Union Bill, supported by the Labour leadership, by 498 votes to 114. .... Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn had imposed a three-line whip - the strongest sanction at his disposal - on his MPs to back the bill."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38833883

"MPs have taken a historic step towards taking Britain out of the European Union by approving the bill allowing the prime minister to trigger article 50 by a majority of 384 votes."
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...he-quit-as-uks-ambassador-to-eu-politics-live

I'd be surprised if any readers of this thread have forgotten.

Possibly not, but stunts like this were given an awful lot of air time and the oxygen of publicity and not once has anyone, to my knowledge, from either leave campaign apologised for it.

View attachment 2177

And yet serious consideration is being given by some to allowing this individual and his ilk a greater say in our democracy.

Please stop and think about that for a while.....

Personally, I wouldn't trust him with the remote for my telly, let alone the keys to Westminster :ROFLMAO:

Even respected Senior Government Ministers were at it with the Turkey migrant flood nonsense (more project fear than project fear itself).
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36479259
At least Gove has since come clean and said they were wrong to say it...even if the damage was already done and it was 2 years after the referendum.

Why do you think voters weren't swayed by these issues? Plenty of vox pop around pre and post-referendum to suggest they very much were!

We've been in the EU for 40 years....correct. Has all of it been good....probably not.

A simple question for you in return - how much of what you perceive as bad is directly attributable to the EU and how much is actually down to domestic policy decisions?
Surely both sides lied?
Cameron and Osborne said in the week before the vote that in the week after the leave election result, there would have to be an emergency budget. In this budget there would have to be tax hikes and further cuts.
The country would in all likelihood go into recession.
But of course this was rubbish and lies. It was said only to get people to vote remain and was out and out scare tactics.
Maybe a lot of leavers voted remain due to this?

Pete. I can’t let you get away with the assertion that most objections to the EU in the media were based on intolerance, taking back control and racist rants. This is an incorrect observation of those who object to the EU having an increasing control of our lives.
My objection is based not on the numbers who come into the country. We need doctors, nurses and arguably footballers.
It’s not about taking back control..blasé words to be honest. It is about having more say in what happens in our country.
Just because many of us would like to be governed more by our politicians than those in Brussels does not make us more intolerant. Even though some of our politicians are not great we can at least get rid of them when there’s an election.
There’s no reason why the countries in the EU can’t trade with us and be friends. It’s not all about hating others, being nasty to foreigners and erecting trade barriers.
It’s about having freedom to trade.
I hear a lot of people complaining about the state of our country at the moment. We’ve been in the EU for 40 years...has it all been good so far?
It's that same old straw man that comes out again and again, so tiring to be treated with such little respect by people who should know better. ;)

Surely both sides lied?
Cameron and Osborne said in the week before the vote that in the week after the leave election result, there would have to be an emergency budget. In this budget there would have to be tax hikes and further cuts.
The country would in all likelihood go into recession.
But of course this was rubbish and lies. It was said only to get people to vote remain and was out and out scare tactics.
Maybe a lot of leavers voted remain due to this?
Yes, both sides lied. Doesn't make it right does it?

The Remain campaign was a joke...they were complacent, they were lazy and then they got scared as some of the bigger fibs from the leave campaign seemed to gain traction against the background of 40 years of a eurosceptic popular press...who knew??

Cameron and Osbourne never spoke for me...I didn't believe what they were saying was particularly well founded. Lest we forget that Cameron and Osbourne sold the necessity of austerity to us (enough people swallowed their economic scare tactics to give them power....they had form), so why should I suddenly trust their economic assessment on Brexit?

However, I always believed and still do that there were so many other reasons why being part of the EU was particularly beneficial for cooperation and collaboration on trade, workers and citizens rights and protections, environmental protection, science and tech R&D, Higher Education, Security...the list goes on. And to have the best available experts from 28 nations working towards that common goal of making things better for the majority always seemed to me to far outweigh any perceived negatives or any notion of a lack of control.

I've never felt we were being dictated to and I've always known from experience that, as part of that negotiation and collaboration, we've always been a major player and have had a great deal of influence, hence why I've never really understood the take back control trope. Who do you want to give all that perceived control to exactly...Parliament? The government of day?...do you seriously trust them more to make the best decisions in your interest and be held accountable for them? So why do you trust them more than a collaboration between 28 sovereign states all trying to improve their lot and that of their collective peoples?

I've still yet to see one tangible benefit of Brexit that will make things better than they were already on any of the areas I've mentioned above.

Standardising procedures and processes within a group of individual countries. Nothing wrong with that. A perfectly orderly way of running the EU.

Funnily enough, in the lead up to the referendum I didn't hear too many people - well, none actually - referring to the Lisbon Treaty and its clear 'mission creep' towards a nation state. Firstly, because there's no evidence of any such thing, and secondly because most objections to our membership voiced in a myriad of vox pops in the media were based on facile notions like 'taking back control' and 'making Britain great again' and, amongst the more intolerant, vague xenophobic rants.

Well you read that quickly!

One size does not, can not and never will "fit all".
By all means have industry standards but don`t counteract that with regulations that effect people. You can have free trade without free movement.
Did you read about the unification of Border Agencies? A small step from an EU Police force, an EU Army...and a larger step to an EU State.
Remember what we joined, the language then was about free trade, consumer benefits and we bought it.
Now we have learnt that our nations wealth is redistributed amongst those less well off whilst we lack the funding to resolve our own issues at home, like a reverse Empire in effect.
We were given the opportunity to decide on the future relationship and chose, democratically, to leave the club.

Not everyone who voted to leave did so because they were an "intolerant xenophobe", same as not everyone who voted to remain is a "snowflake". We all voted as we saw fit and leave won that vote.
Now the infighting is reaching the courts and slowly but surely being rejected by the judiciary.
BJ has taken a sledgehammer to crack the nut of Parliament ................. and the clock keeps ticking.

Because it`s Wednesday.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Next flip flop due on Wednesday next week.......................

After when... or if... Brexit does (or doesnt) happen, doubt therell be any need to mention that sandal-wearing, impotent Frenchman, Phillipe Phlopp ? ;););)

We will leave the EU on 29th March x 100
Now it’s 31/10
Believe it when i see it

'Lests get out of the EU so were not dictated to by unelected eurocrats' .... instead, lets have an unelected, non party member,'advisor' ,operating the UK's PM like a glove puppet.....

'Lests get out of the EU so were not dictated to by unelected eurocrats' .... instead, lets have an unelected, non party member,'advisor' ,operating the UK's PM like a glove puppet.....

Ah I see! So when they said we’d be taking back control what they actually meant was a cabal of wealthy elites would seek to systematically seize power for their own political, ideological and financial gains.

They’ll be promoting the burning of books soon.

Far be it from the EU to try and find a solution that causes the least negative impact for everyone....

So where would that leave Boris? With the only option available a 'no deal' one, but leaving with no deal being illegal?
Well it won't be his fault if the EU insisted on a No Deal would it, I'm sure that would satisfy the legislation if it were out of his control. Would probably help him if a friendly face inside the EU were to drive through a no deal with their veto with regards an extension...

Well it would be an interesting challenge in the British courts. 'I broke the law because I had no choice' could leave the door open for any number of defences in courts across the land.
I don't think I would interpret it as the EU insisting on no deal. . . far from it. The options remain that the UK government agrees a deal, agrees an extension, revokes Article 50 or leaves on no deal. Therefore, it's Boris' choice not to pursue the other options available and the EU is no forcing anything.

Pretty sure that would be laughed out of court!

Back
Top Bottom