Votes: 77 44.0%
  • Call in the Donald

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Call in Noel Edmonds

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • I don't care anymore

Votes: 37 21.1%

• Total voters
Wow talk about putting one and one together.
So just so that I am clear:
Brexit means the £ goes down =
Loads of oligarchs and foreign investors coming in and buying our houses =
British 'slaves' to the foreign oligarchs.

Lets see. My bet is that nothing of the sort will happen. Maybe small number more will come in but any effect will be minimal.
It also assumes that there are no other negative financial issues around the world that means there is a lot of money floating around - such as a recession in Europe, Russian money being further impacted or political change in Saudi Arabia. It's just the same fear laden doom mongering that so far, has be wide of the mark.

I think most reasonably headed people will understand there is some negative economic impacts to Brexit, and understood this for quite some time without running around like our trousers are on fire. As recent times have proven, we're in such new territory, no one really knows what will happen. The UK has proved to be far more resilient than anyone expected it to be, especially look at some other European countries.

It won't stop the far left scare-mongering like crazy though - the good old anti-capitalists who aspire to misery over prosperity. It's really nice to have stepped back and not had the Remainer pall of negativity hanging over me. No wonder they look so utterly desperate and depressed all the time.

Good for the judge in Scotland, it will be appealed by the Govt, it will get another hearing, etc, etc. Meanwhile, all politicians will naff off on the back slapping jollies as normal and get back to parliament at the normal time.

Don't know, don't really care, just showing a polar opposite to any one given viewpoint - but isn't that just the embodiment of everything to do with this whole sorry state of affairs.

As the choirboy said to the vicar, 'it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth'.

Your message to the poor and hungry is "Eat less". Nice.

No my message to the poor is "do something about it".

I was brought up in a single parent family , father died when I was 12, council house, working mother on a low wage oh and no "foodbanks".
A different generation that didn`t expect to be spoon fed.
You either sit there feeling sorry for yourself or buckle up and get on.
Norman Tebbit wasn`t far wrong.

Set a budget, live within it.............. if you can`t you need to either earn more or spend less.

No my message to the poor is "do something about it".

I was brought up in a single parent family , father died when I was 12, council house, working mother on a low wage oh and no "foodbanks".
A different generation that didn`t expect to be spoon fed.
You either sit there feeling sorry for yourself or buckle up and get on.
Norman Tebbit wasn`t far wrong.

Set a budget, live within it.............. if you can`t you need to either earn more or spend less.
Mmm. I am not sure that I agree with theTebbit view.
With regard to food banks then and now the price of housing, utilities and council tax especially in Cities like Oxford means that getting on your bike and getting work doesn't necessarily help.
What is your view on the homeless people in the Cities ( and beyond)? Isnt that a sad indictment of our Country (which is as wealthy as it has ever been?)

This is true in part - people who live in council houses are addicted to sugar and take no exercise, preferring to watch Sky, Netflix and play on their Game Boys (whatever they are).

However, Mr Iain Birdio Smith, your typical Tory Brexiteer slur may not be accurate: " Around 15% of households surveyed when using Trussell Trust foodbanks between October and December 2016 included at least one person with some work or income from employment, according to a recent academic study. We don’t know about the people using food banks not run by the Trussell Trust. "
I can’t figure out which one of us is getting whooshed here. Which probably means it’s me.

Pass me the quiche.

Erm, both of us, or neither.

I was pre-experiencing the EssexYellows trope that only the feckless are poor, fat or remainers, as were you; I think.

Mmm. I am not sure that I agree with theTebbit view.
With regard to food banks then and now the price of housing, utilities and council tax especially in Cities like Oxford means that getting on your bike and getting work doesn't necessarily help.
What is your view on the homeless people in the Cities ( and beyond)? Isnt that a sad indictment of our Country (which is as wealthy as it has ever been?)

The majority of genuine homeless people struggle with either addiction and/or mental health issues.
We have large empty building all over most cities, they should be converted into secure, clean (drug & drink free) accommodation where the vulnerable can be given the help they need, it wouldn`t be an option. Breaking the cycle of prison-homeless-drugs-crime-prison-homeless isn`t solved by prisons as they currently are.
It would also save money long term as the burden on the Police, NHS, Justice system etc would be reduced.

The "price of Oxford" problem is easy............. move.

The majority of genuine homeless people struggle with either addiction and/or mental health issues.
We have large empty building all over most cities, they should be converted into secure, clean (drug & drink free) accommodation where the vulnerable can be given the help they need, it wouldn`t be an option. Breaking the cycle of prison-homeless-drugs-crime-prison-homeless isn`t solved by prisons as they currently are.
It would also save money long term as the burden on the Police, NHS, Justice system etc would be reduced.

The "price of Oxford" problem is easy............. move.
The price of Oxford problem is hardly 'easy'.
The advantage of course of Oxford is that there is pretty much full employment.
Where the house prices are much cheaper, there is generally a much higher unemployment rate. Sure, it is easier to live off benefits .
With regard to homelessness, I dont disagree that something more radical is clearly required (what about the government spending more on shelters, mental health , drug and alcohol schemes?)
Whatever, it is clearly not easy and I have heard little from any of our political parties to suggest that they have any idea ( although back to the subject matter of this thread (!), brexit discussions for years is hardly allowing debate)

I think IIRC he is Robert Hardy, who has worked at P&O, EuroTunnel & Kuenhe+Nagel and is/was a member of the EU Commission on Trade. His current "day job" is Director of Oakland Invicta, a Supply Chain Management company. Only know this as I used to work in exports and his name would crop up as a facilitator when we had something new or big in the offing.

On a separate topic, does Scottish law have any jurisdiction over national bodies?

It does:

"This case was brought in a Scottish court because at the time the High Court in England was on holiday.
But that does not diminish the effect of the ruling, as the case was against the actions of the Westminister government which, within the devolution settlement, affects the whole of the UK.
So the ruling in Edinburgh is binding on the UK government - although this is by no means the end of the legal battle since the case will now be appealed to the UK Supreme Court which will make a definitive decision.

It is also likely to hear arguments arising from decisions in similar cases brought at the High Court in London under English law and the Northern Ireland High Court."

From this BBC article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49650729

Tories turn down GE pact with the Brexit Party.

That is......surprising. Would've thought that BoJo would have done anything to stay in power.

Assume the Tories have come to the conclusion that Nige is bluffing.
They've seen first hand that he can cost them seats by splitting the Brexit vote, and will if the Brexit Party run nationwide.
I guess they've come to the conclusion that he won't do it, because that would risk putting Corbyn in #10, or leaving parliament in the hands of some Remain coalition.

Personally, I doubt it. He's a fanatic, not a pragmatist - so if you don't deliver him exactly what he wants, he'll burn it all down...….

Yes, but which way round is it?

I've known people develop addictions and mental health issues AS A RESULT of being made homeless - it really CAN happen to anyone, loss of a job, breakdown of a relationship.

Like I say, I've seen it with my own eyes.

Yes, but which way round is it?

I've known people develop addictions and mental health issues AS A RESULT of being made homeless - it really CAN happen to anyone, loss of a job, breakdown of a relationship.

Like I say, I've seen it with my own eyes.

Get to the root cause, in a clean secure place.
Put the resources into it, break the cycle, get people back on their feet rather than throwing them out of prison with nowhere to go and £40 in their pocket.

Meaningless unless you supply enough secure housing that can be afforded by a person with a child on minimum wage.

To my dear pal Essexyellows' last post.

former , now excommunicated expelled ,Attorney General Dominic Grieve ... who given his former position in the government should have a decent grasp of the sitution aserts if Bozo lied to the Queen, he should resign

thing is, it highly likely that, on the unelected, non party member Cummings advice, Bozo wont do the honorable thing, far from it IMO

70141546_10158544056932289_4139796484147118080_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom