Votes: 77 44.0%
  • Call in the Donald

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Call in Noel Edmonds

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • I don't care anymore

Votes: 37 21.1%

• Total voters
What's depressing me the most about Brexit is that, whatever happens, it's not going to be over on Halloween.

Either there will be another extension then, leading to more political shenanigans in parliament.
Or we'll leave with No Deal, which will then be followed by a whole series of tough decisions regarding trade deals with the US, and trade deals with the EU, and trade deals with everyone else, and probably another Scottish referendum, and yes - more political shenanigans in parliament.

I'd wager that 95%+ of the British population are wholly sick of it, and wish that Brexit was done and dusted (one way or another), so that the politicians could get back to focusing on running the country, and dealing with the myriad of internal problems that exist.

But I see no chance of that happening any time soon...….

The Lib Dems are talking about a Remain Alliance (among other rambling). It's ironic they've cocked a snook at Labour's offer today.

Also interesting to see the lack of nous on No Deal again. It's almost sad seeing the mutually exclusive point of view from some MPs. We don't want the backstop and we don't want a No Deal.

The Lib Dems are talking about a Remain Alliance (among other rambling). It's ironic they've cocked a snook at Labour's offer today.

Also interesting to see the lack of nous on No Deal again. It's almost sad seeing the mutually exclusive point of view from some MPs. We don't want the backstop and we don't want a No Deal.

Well Labour's leadership isn't remain for a start as the fence sitting has demonstrated! The Lib Dems are willing to work with Labour, just not Corbyn as an interim leader but they would with somebody else from Labour (only guessing but somebody like Yvette Cooper). They would support a moderate Tory as well (Dominic Grieve).

Corbyn basically wouldn't get a majority across the House as rebel Tory MPs wouldn't support him so for the Lib Dems it is a none starter as we'd still be in the same place.

Problem with the Opposition (as it is) aiming for "remain" is that many of their own voters voted to Leave. ?

Boris gets it done on the 31st October, goes to the country in November (or early 2020) and wipes out NF and regains a majority with the Lib Dems being the main opposition and Corbyn in the wilderness.

Happy days. ??

I struggle to see how the Labour Party, with a huge number of its voter base voting to leave, can survive what it apparently is planning to do, it will we wiped out at the next election of it succeeds.

I struggle to see how the Labour Party, with a huge number of its voter base voting to leave, can survive what it apparently is planning to do, it will we wiped out at the next election of it succeeds.

Labour will lose vastly more voters to remain parties than leave unless it adopts a pro-remain policy.

"Focaldata’s analysis for Best for Britain and the Hope Not Hate campaign found that 42 per cent of those who backed Labour in 2017 would desert the party in a new general election, with the vast bulk (30 per cent) going to Remain-backing parties like the Lib Dems, 2 per cent to the Scottish National Party or Plaid Cymru and 10 per cent to the Brexit Party."

"From what we’ve seen, backing remain is unlikely to drive out significant numbers of Labour leave voters, who tend to put Brexit lower on their list of priorities than pro-Brexit supporters of other parties. Just 12 per cent of those who voted Labour in 2017 say they’d be less likely to do so again if the party backs remain."

Rather hilariously, Jo Swinson has suggested that Ken Clarke be the interim PM of a Remain Alliance if BoJo's government loses a vote of no confidence - logic being that he's someone who everyone in that coalition would trust to extend the Brexit deadline and head up things until a General Election is arranged.

Frankly, I'm not sure there's a politician anywhere that I agree with more often on more issues that Ken Clarke, so I'd love to see it! But suspect that Satan will be skiing to work before Corbyn goes for something like this...….he'd have to put what's good for the country ahead of what's good for himself, and that hasn't been his style......

They were democratic choices from party memberships & MPs, as all leaders for parties over here are. We don't have a presidential election after all, so it's not a real comparitor.

The EUs one person vote presidential, with no choice from members (etc) or hustings (like the Tories and Lib Dems have been doing) is wholly undemocratic.

That's totally wrong. Hustings were held ahead of the elections in 2014 and are still available on YouTube. Just because you cant be bothered to check if something happened, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Sorry, there is no excuse for such ignorance.

It's been interesting to see how the Irish position has softened a touch in the past week when this reality has turned up on their door step. The Maybots unwillingness to even walk away made it easy on the EU - and some MPs implicit endorsement of it made it even easier.

This is the first time the EU side don't know how it will go. New negotiators, new team, new impetus and a "Brexiteer" to talk to. Gonna be tough I feel

Really? You've swallowed a whole lot of bullshit... The leaders of the 27 other member states of the European Union are working in the real world, with facts and obligations... Boris and co. are in Fantasyland.

There are international agreements at stake that go beyond Europe. The UK cant offer any solution to the Irish Border question, as we have the only workable agreement already in place. The bullshit that the other nations can miraculously solve the problem... Well, only a total fool would think this.

And, then there is Gibralta.

Then we have our successful companies losing contracts and setting up subsidiaries outside of the UK - exporting jobs to survive Brexit.

Meanwhile, clueless old men keep talking nonsense, safe in the knowledge that there are others like them equally talking nonsense.

That's totally wrong. Hustings were held ahead of the elections in 2014 and are still available on YouTube. Just because you cant be bothered to check if something happened, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Sorry, there is no excuse for such ignorance.
Errr, in the context of the Tory party, then they had hustings with the members over a long period of time where both candidates were interrogated by the members, who then voted for the next leader of the party and as the political party in Parliament with the most MPs, the choice of the members made became defacto PM. Not sure what your point is? Other than you don't agree with a Brexiteer being PM and a Tory one at that.

Further, is the stuff today about Ken Clark undemocratic too? Or does it only apply to parties/people you do not agree with? It seems to be a Remainer thing to waffle about process, until it expedient not to. It's almost like Remainers in Parliament didn't know what they voted for on Article 50!
Really? You've swallowed a whole lot of bullshit... The leaders of the 27 other member states of the European Union are working in the real world, with facts and obligations... Boris and co. are in Fantasyland.

There are international agreements at stake that go beyond Europe. The UK cant offer any solution to the Irish Border question, as we have the only workable agreement already in place. The bullshit that the other nations can miraculously solve the problem... Well, only a total fool would think this.

And, then there is Gibralta.

Then we have our successful companies losing contracts and setting up subsidiaries outside of the UK - exporting jobs to survive Brexit.

Meanwhile, clueless old men keep talking nonsense, safe in the knowledge that there are others like them equally talking nonsense.
Ok, you completely missed the point after all this time ,but all the power to ya anyway! Whatever your point is.

Rather hilariously, Jo Swinson has suggested that Ken Clarke be the interim PM of a Remain Alliance if BoJo's government loses a vote of no confidence - logic being that he's someone who everyone in that coalition would trust to extend the Brexit deadline and head up things until a General Election is arranged.

Frankly, I'm not sure there's a politician anywhere that I agree with more often on more issues that Ken Clarke, so I'd love to see it! But suspect that Satan will be skiing to work before Corbyn goes for something like this...….he'd have to put what's good for the country ahead of what's good for himself, and that hasn't been his style......
Having seen Ken Clarke be verbally flayed live on TV by Andrew Neil a few months back about the EU, sadly, his time as front bench politician is done - and I mean this with total respect and diffidence to him. 20 years ago, Ken Clarke would have been a great choice for Remain, don't get me wrong.

The fact Remainer MPs are proposing a 79 year old to lead the country says a lot about hopelessly divided they really are

No Deal is not the ideal outcome, but if it is to be between that, May's surrender deal (or equivalent.) or no Brexit, then "No Deal" it is.

The way many condescendingly told Brexiteers they "didn't know what they voted for." and the way many call Remainers "traitors" should end, but won't.

Brexit has divided the country into two camps. It has shown the worst in human nature. The failure to deliver it would cause a political fracture like we have never seen, leaving on a No Deal will send many Remainers into meltdown.

The divide won't end.

Back
Top Bottom