Votes: 77 44.0%
  • Call in the Donald

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Call in Noel Edmonds

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • I don't care anymore

Votes: 37 21.1%

• Total voters
If the EU do refuse an Article 50 extension, then I honestly find it hard to predict how parliament will react.

Obviously the ERG will reject May's deal and reject revoking Article 50, in the hope of a No Deal Brexit.
And equally obviously the Lib Dems & the Nationalists & the remainer wing of the Tories will reject May's deal and favour revoking Article 50.
May and her dwindling band of Tory loyalists will favour her deal again.

But what will Corbyn do?
Hard to see him ever supporting May's deal because he frankly seems to care more about party point scoring that he does about EU membership.
But would he vote to revoke Article 50 or would he allow a No Deal exit? And would his party (who've been impressively disciplined to this point) follow his lead?

Popcorn....nom nom nom.....popcorn......

If the EU do refuse an Article 50 extension, then I honestly find it hard to predict how parliament will react.

Obviously the ERG will reject May's deal and reject revoking Article 50, in the hope of a No Deal Brexit.
And equally obviously the Lib Dems & the Nationalists & the remainer wing of the Tories will reject May's deal and favour revoking Article 50.
May and her dwindling band of Tory loyalists will favour her deal again.

But what will Corbyn do?
Hard to see him ever supporting May's deal because he frankly seems to care more about party point scoring that he does about EU membership.
But would he vote to revoke Article 50 or would he allow a No Deal exit? And would his party (who've been impressively disciplined to this point) follow his lead?

Popcorn....nom nom nom.....popcorn......

Considering his continued comments about stopping a no deal Brexit, Corbyn would have no choice but to revoke A50 imo.

Considering his continued comments about stopping a no deal Brexit, Corbyn would have no choice but to revoke A50 imo.
Fingers crossed.

If that gets through, I hope both he and May have the sense to stand down and let some fresh blood in to work on a more collaborative approach. Both May and Corbyn are busted flushes in my opinion.

Fingers crossed.

If that gets through, I hope both he and May have the sense to stand down and let some fresh blood in to work on a more collaborative approach. Both May and Corbyn are busted flushes in my opinion.

Sadly I can't see Corbyn stepping down considering his repetitive and pointless (based on Parliamentary arithmetic) calls for a General Election.

The Spelman/Dromey Amendment gets passed 312-308. This despite the Govt using the whip to try to defeat it, so another Govt defeat.

Edit: Malthouse Amendment not passed.

Ironically due to the S/D Amendment, the Govt is now against its own motion. This vote will potentially really show up some dissent in the Tory Party and the Cabinet.

Last edited:
Govt gets beaten on its own motion by 43 votes and Parliament rejects a no deal Brexit. This is even though the Govt whipped on the vote and Ministers had to either abstain or resign should they vote against the Govt whip. 1 junior Minister, Sarah Newton has resigned so far and plenty abstained (Cabinet Ministers Rudd, Gauke, Clarke, Mundell and 8 junior Ministers).

Apparently according to a Daily Telegraph journalist, 4 Cabinet Ministers (I'm assuming the same as above) abstained for the Spelman/Dromey amendment which the Govt lost by 4 votes.

I don't like the likes of Arron Banks and the Tory MEPs playing games like that. Sadly, this process has descended into a back handed farce and manipulation, so it does not surprise me in the least that one hand giveth, and the other taketh away.

One very good reason the EU may not want to extend Article 50 for a long time is the potential contagion they may let in if the UK Euro elections go ahead, especially with the growing populism in Europe and anger in the UK over Brexit not happening. It's a massive risk to the gravy train. Can they afford to take the risk?

I don't like the likes of Arron Banks and the Tory MEPs playing games like that. Sadly, this process has descended into a back handed farce and manipulation, so it does not surprise me in the least that one hand giveth, and the other taketh away.

One very good reason the EU may not want to extend Article 50 for a long time is the potential contagion they may let in if the UK Euro elections go ahead, especially with the growing populism in Europe and anger in the UK over Brexit not happening. It's a massive risk to the gravy train. Can they afford to take the risk?
So will the EU negotiate again, I wonder?

So will the EU negotiate again, I wonder?
Do they need to when Parliament is ripping itself apart?

It's a risk for their new regime to have to contend with, but I can see the old order not wanting to budge because they think the gruel is already thin enough.

Yellow vests in the Uk .... same coverage (zero) as in France???.....
54518554_2485416864820700_4322724784870785024_n.jpg

How long before this is hijacked by undesirables? What's Tommy R up to now?
If Stephen Yaxley- Lennon aka Tommy R is involved in anyway .... its highly likely to turn into the prediction in that Kaiser Chiefs song ....

I have lost interest in BREXIT so paying a visit to Mrs Palm twice daily to take my mind off Teresa May and think about Lucy Thai instead

Three month delay then, if the EU agree to it. Easy then: a whole three months to negotiate a better deal, something we've failed to do since 2016. What a mess.

The 3 month delay is only if her deal is agreed by Parliament. The motion has suggested a longer delay will be asked for if her deal fails again including the need to elect new British MEPs.

That last is part of her attempt at trying to scare the ERG/DUP into voting for her deal. The issue remains though that the Govt hasn't yet scheduled in another "meaningful vote" for her deal in next week's house business according to the BBC. There is no point apparently according to commentators on the Beeb unless they get the DUP or 25 Labour MPs (they had 3 at the last vote iirc).

One other issue on a 3rd "meaningful vote", it also depends on John Bercow allowing it as nothing has substantially changed. The rules basically say the same vote can't be brought back in the same Parliamentary session without substantial changes.

This despite Theresa May saying brexit is brexit and we will leave on 29 March.
I have a feeling we are being set up for another meaningful people’s vote, resulting in a vote to stay in. Parliament is paralysed and day to day business is postponed while this saga drags out.
The MPs don’t seem to want brexit, maybe it’s because turkeys don’t vote for Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom