Votes: 77 44.0%
  • Call in the Donald

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Call in Noel Edmonds

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • I don't care anymore

Votes: 37 21.1%

• Total voters
Only the EU can decide if no deal is taken off the table...and for how long.

Unless of course A50 is revoked and we try again, once we've all agreed what the f it is that we all actually want.

And the govts zero tariff proposals are naive at best. What a time to be a smuggler in Ireland!!

The EU seem to be willing to listen and possibly change the deal? ol' Garnier is saying the solution must come from London.

BoJo says a new deal could still be hatched between now and the 29th March.

If you take no deal off the menu, then we have laid all our cards out and the EU could just not budge, knowing our back is against the wall.

The EU seem to be willing to listen and possibly change the deal? ol' Garnier is saying the solution must come from London.

BoJo says a new deal could still be hatched between now and the 29th March.

If you take no deal off the menu, then we have laid all our cards out and the EU could just not budge, knowing our back is against the wall.

Taking no deal off the menu is not actually within the gift of Parliament. They can vote to say they don;t want to leave without a deal - fine, but there are only 3 possible ways to stop a no deal:
1). Agree a new deal before 29th March (look everyone...flying pigs!!)
2). Ask the EU to agree to and extension to A50 with a view to a deal...but we'd better have something tangible in terms of what, how and when a new deal proposal will be presented, to show them...otherwise I fear it will be "no", "non", "nein", "nee"etc etc.
3). If 1&2 wont fly, then revoking Article 50 would be the only option left open to stop no deal.

Place your bets ladies and gentlemen!

And lest we forget...this is all about the WITHDRAWAL agreement. We've got literally years of this torture ahead in one form or another.

I left with a suitcase, left the ex in the house & sorted it out later.................... bought another place and moved on. It can be done.
So ....... we leave on the 29th (me with the case) we negotiate the rest (I`m not against us paying for what we signed up to.... leaving the ex in the house) .... we move on. See how simple it can be.

Did you ring Radio5live this morning? :)

Only the EU can decide if no deal is taken off the table...and for how long.

Unless of course A50 is revoked and we try again, once we've all agreed what the f it is that we all actually want.

And the govts zero tariff proposals are naive at best. What a time to be a smuggler in Ireland!!

An excellent way for the dissident Republicans calling themselves the IRA to raise funds.

I see Govt Ministers are already talking behind the scenes to Journalists about a 3rd 'meaningful' vote on May's deal. It really is all about her for the Maybot and her legacy after failing miserably twice to get her deal through. Sod trying to actually get a consensus it seems.

Nope wasnt me but the ethos is correct.
Many of us have parents who lived through rationing and there was still a "make do and mend" mentality in the 60s & 70`s.
Unfortunately having pretty much everything "on tap" has bred several generations that want for nothing.....and b****r the consequences of flying food halfway round the globe to be thrown away because a label says so.
We will be fine, the sky will not fall in.............. :D

Talk of a third vote on Mays "deal", maybe/maybe not, and then the EU fail to unanimously approve an extension (this whole thing may get ended by some random Country) so we go full "No Deal" on the 29th ...... .......... get there in the end just by a different route.

Talk of a third vote on Mays "deal", maybe/maybe not, and then the EU fail to unanimously approve an extension (this whole thing may get ended by some random Country) so we go full "No Deal" on the 29th ...... .......... get there in the end just by a different route.
Would there be a vote to revoke A50?

There would be, but each of the EU 27 need to approve it too. And there are no guarantees what strings will be attached. As much as I cannot stand the May deal, I am really struggling to any credible alternatives that will get through parliament

Perhaps some MPs on all sides needed to think longer than the next vote and what any impacts were.

And just maybe they should've got a deal that both Parliament could pass AND the EU (and even perhaps the people) could agree BEFORE triggering A50 in the first place.

A50 should've been a procedural step that allowed us to leave within 2 years, but the utter chaos has largely been caused by triggering it first without the faintest idea of what or how we were going to do a deal, coupled with May shooting herself in the foot at the last election. Not to mention the ill thought out, poorly debated and poorly executed referendum that set the ball rolling in the first place.

In terms of revoking A50, EU have no say in that - we can do it unilaterally. Whether parliament would get a vote to do it...it is not spelled out, but the answer is probably seeing as the UK Supreme Court of Justice required a vote to trigger it in the first place and the government conceeded this point in their submission to the ECJ ruling on the withdrawal process. Given that the UK constitution is ambiguous on this, there would probably be a legal challenge either way!

And just maybe they should've got a deal that both Parliament could pass AND the EU (and even perhaps the people) could agree BEFORE triggering A50 in the first place.

A50 should've been a procedural step that allowed us to leave within 2 years, but the utter chaos has largely been caused by triggering it first without the faintest idea of what or how we were going to do a deal, coupled with May shooting herself in the foot at the last election. Not to mention the ill thought out, poorly debated and poorly executed referendum that set the ball rolling in the first place.

In terms of revoking A50, EU have no say in that - we can do it unilaterally. Whether parliament would get a vote to do it...it is not spelled out, but the answer is probably seeing as the UK Supreme Court of Justice required a vote to trigger it in the first place and the government conceeded this point in their submission to the ECJ ruling on the withdrawal process. Given that the UK constitution is ambiguous on this, there would probably be a legal challenge either way!

I`ll agree with almost all of that except the referendum and the question were abundantly clear.
Its almost as if HMG have been covering their eyes singing "La la la its not happening"...... and walked into a few lamp posts!

I
Of course, in it's simplistic form the choice of 'leave' or 'remain' was clear, as is consistently pointed out, mostly by leavers.

But then we get to the crux of the matter. If at the time of the vote you'd asked a leaver what they thought the implications of leaving might be and the answer would likely have been vague. This would have been understandable as, even now, the results of leaving are the subject of guesswork rather than informed insight.

I voted remain for two (main) reasons: 1) I would rather stick with what I know (and for me the EU works pretty well) than vote for a leap in the dark, and b) As a protest against the MINORITY (I stress) of leavers who were unable to come up with a convincing argument that didn't involve jingoistic nationalism or irrelevant references to history.

Our friend Cassox will no doubt attribute all sorts of descriptors to me (I'm guessing: 'snowflake', 'traitor', 'gutless' etc), but fortunately I don't care what 'hard men' with fascist tendencies think of me.
Can you let me know the pros of the EU please?

For me. It's a we pay them £900 Million a year to get £300million back (not sure the actual figures)

I just don't see how fantastic the EU is? hello

So I was halfway through typing out a reply to Eaststand when Pete posted and said pretty much everything I wanted to say - good job!

So I'll just pontificate instead.....

…...but it actually seems to me as if the next real decision is likely to be in the EU's court.

If (as seems almost certain) MPs reject the idea of a No Deal Brexit today (and it really is only rejecting the idea....there's nothing legally binding being decided today), and then approve the idea of an Article 50 extension tomorrow - it's then going to be the EU's decision as to whether they approve that extension. And a lot of the noises coming out of the EU at the moment actually suggest they may not. Could just be brinkmanship, or they could be them thinking that they're really not getting anywhere here.....time to force the UK to make a decision.

Because if Article 50 cannot be extended, as the Sheik said there's really only two decisions we can make - accept May's deal or revoke Article 50.
If we do neither, then its No Deal Brexit by default on March 29th. There's no time for a GE or another vote, this parliament would have to make a decision now.

Would be a ballsy move by the EU - but at the very least, it would get us to a rapid resolution. The political fallout's going to last for years whichever way this goes...….

Extremely well put Pete! (The EU benefits post In particular)

And you didn't even mention our ability as a member of the EU to strike the most lucrative trade deals on the planet and on favourable or equal terms too, because of the power and influence of the EU as a trading bloc. I know this has been said before, but the recently signed EU-japan trade deal accounts for 1/3 of global GDP....it's huge!

We're walking away from that and Japan have already said that any post Brexit deal will be on less favourable terms.

Why? Because they can and because we are a mid-sized country of declining global influence and importance.

Welcome to the reality of post Brexit trade and the deals we're likely to be offered as a mid-sized single nation of declining influence and importance.

Never mind I'm sure the good 'ol US of A will come galloping to the rescue...All we'll need to do is say "how far" when they say "bend over". It will be the easiest trade deal in history (now where have I heard that before?).[emoji6]

So parliamentary sovereignty only matters when it is in your favour! As Farage is also involved, who would have guessed he lied about this as well.

Tory MPs going behind Parliament's back again as well.

I'd laugh if this caused the revocation of A50.
If this did happen and they sought to influence the decision then the government really should revoke it.

Banks, Wigmore and Farage really are completely contemptable shits.

Back
Top Bottom