Votes: 77 44.0%
  • Call in the Donald

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Call in Noel Edmonds

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • I don't care anymore

Votes: 37 21.1%

• Total voters
Upside, we can buy food globally and eventually help reduce the impact of leaving the EU with no deal
Can’t wait to start eating that hormone treated beef from Australia, or that sweet, sweet North American chlorinated chicken. Food that will eventually end up cheaper for businesses to buy but that we will never see any savings on as consumers one way or another.

Liam Fox commented on chlorinated chicken being an option about a year ago and Jacob Rees-Mogg was advocating the Aussie hormone beef barely a week ago, so none of this is speculation. No wonder Tim Martin is touring Wetherspoons across the country to tell all his customers how great no deal is. He can’t wait to slash his overheads by buying the cheapest and most potentially dangerous meats in the world, before selling them on to the very people who made it possible for him to purchase them.

It’s genuinely sick how sadistic the whole process is when you step back and look at everything, and it’s all right there hiding in plain sight.

Still, project fear, eh?!

Can’t wait to start eating that hormone treated beef from Australia, or that sweet, sweet North American chlorinated chicken. Food that will eventually end up cheaper for businesses to buy but that we will never see any savings on as consumers one way or another.

Liam Fox commented on chlorinated chicken being an option about a year ago and Jacob Rees-Mogg was advocating the Aussie hormone beef barely a week ago, so none of this is speculation. No wonder Tim Martin is touring Wetherspoons across the country to tell all his customers how great no deal is. He can’t wait to slash his overheads by buying the cheapest and most potentially dangerous meats in the world, before selling them on to the very people who made it possible for him to purchase them.

It’s genuinely sick how sadistic the whole process is when you step back and look at everything, and it’s all right there hiding in plain sight.

Still, project fear, eh?!
Straight for the extreme options! Project fear ;). Perhaps us not being CAP will help our local farmers produce good quality beef in higher numbers. Is there a need to import beef or chicken?

It is sadistic, and to this day I wonder if the EU are regretting their gaullic shrug when Cameron went to them initially all those years ago. If they had given a little, would the vote have ever happened? We'll never know.

Straight for the extreme options! Project fear ;). Perhaps us not being CAP will help our local farmers produce good quality beef in higher numbers. Is there a need to import beef or chicken?

It is sadistic, and to this day I wonder if the EU are regretting their gaullic shrug when Cameron went to them initially all those years ago. If they had given a little, would the vote have ever happened? We'll never know.

The suggestion is that the Lamb/Sheep industry could be wrecked with tariffs as we export 50% of our Lamb to France apparently. Hill Farmers would be ruined according to a Welsh NFU Farmers spokesperson I saw on a programme at the weekend.

So even though the major Brexiteers including a cabinet minister are actively on record as speaking favourably for the import of the aforementioned meat products, it’s still project fear? I’m not the one going for extreme options, they are. That’s the only reason I can even mention it - they’re specifically talking about it!

This is the problem really, isn’t it. Even when the people involved in it at its core are saying “this is a good idea” the reaction is still one of people being dramatic when they point out what they’ve said on record. If I said I wanted to shoot somebody and someone said “hey up he wants to shoot this person!” I wouldn’t expect anybody to turn around and say they were being extreme for suggesting such a thing. Not if I’ve actually said it.

But sure, let’s pretend they haven’t advocated it directly. Onwards!

I'm not a member of the cabinet or a politician. So it's just my opinion based on what I'd do. They can suggest what they like and as we see, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

And as consumers, we have the choice to say no thank you

The suggestion is that the Lamb/Sheep industry could be wrecked with tariffs as we export 50% of our Lamb to France apparently. Hill Farmers would be ruined according to a Welsh NFU Farmers spokesperson I saw on a programme at the weekend.
I have no doubt that is one the many scenarios that could unfold. Thing is, we don't know until we get there and perhaps there are other markets we can export to. We just don't know!

I have no doubt that is one the many scenarios that could unfold. Thing is, we don't know until we get there and perhaps there are other markets we can export to. We just don't know!

The point about the Lamb/Sheep Industry was overnight it would be screwed by losing its biggest market. Hill Farming doesn't have big margins to begin with so they wouldn't have the resources to survive until a new market is found.

The point about the Lamb/Sheep Industry was overnight it would be screwed by losing its biggest market. Hill Farming doesn't have big margins to begin with so they wouldn't have the resources to survive until a new market is found.
I don't disagree. What we don't know is two fold. 1) Will the market completely disappear over night and how likely is that? 2) Are other economic areas already aware of this and ready to buy?

As I say, we just don't know!

I don't disagree. What we don't know is two fold. 1) Will the market completely disappear over night and how likely is that? 2) Are other economic areas already aware of this and ready to buy?

As I say, we just don't know!

Iirc, should a crash out Brexit happen, the suggestion is a 40% tariff for British Lamb exports to the EU would be added on so it is a very good chance the industry at the best would be severely affected with that price increase.

Iirc, should a crash out Brexit happen, the suggestion is a 40% tariff for British Lamb exports to the EU would be added on so it is a very good chance the industry at the best would be severely affected with that price increase.
As a civilian, the politicians will be very aware of that on both sides, with others outside wanting to take advantage. Of course, it applies on both sides of the channel, with Dutch Onion sellers worried about their business. And vineyards, cheese makers, etc.

At the moment though, we have no inkling over what will actually happen or ultimately what tariffs could be levied.

As a civilian, the politicians will be very aware of that on both sides, with others outside wanting to take advantage. Of course, it applies on both sides of the channel, with Dutch Onion sellers worried about their business. And vineyards, cheese makers, etc.

At the moment though, we have no inkling over what will actually happen or ultimately what tariffs could be levied.

Those talking about the tariffs on the Lamb/Sheep Industry seemed very certain about 40%. I expect the EU tariffs will be known for 3rd party countries (which we would be 1) under only WTO terms, what our tariffs would be is open for debate.

And importantly both sides, tariffs zeroed out cover a multitude of things. What will the effect be on economies in the EU on the verge of a recession?

And importantly both sides, tariffs zeroed out cover a multitude of things. What will the effect be on economies in the EU on the verge of a recession?
Thats for the EU to decide. Its okay Drunker standing up saying they wont budge but if we crash out how will Greece, Spain and Portugal feel about us being unable to buy from them - or a tariff making food so expensive we dont bother? Those three are in huge shite as it is.

Thats for the EU to decide. Its okay Drunker standing up saying they wont budge but if we crash out how will Greece, Spain and Portugal feel about us being unable to buy from them - or a tariff making food so expensive we dont bother? Those three are in huge shite as it is.
The UK economy has somehow managed to grow more than the EUs, so the southern states will not want to end up falling into a recession over Brexit when they are very close to it now. Even in Germany. If they had not been so insistent on a negotiating red line, its more than Ilkley a trade deal will have been in progress, so the angst over the back stop will be smaller. That is the EUs mess!

The UK economy has somehow managed to grow more than the EUs, so the southern states will not want to end up falling into a recession over Brexit when they are very close to it now. Even in Germany. If they had not been so insistent on a negotiating red line, its more than Ilkley a trade deal will have been in progress, so the angst over the back stop will be smaller. That is the EUs mess!

Still waiting on the forlorn hope that the German car companies to come to our rescue then. We were told by the Brexiteers that these negotiations would be easy.

It is our mess, remember May's red lines?! The EU have been consistent on their position and our Govt know the basic principles that the EU and the single market operate on.

Exactly, so what do they do? Stick two fingers up to the countries that need to trade with us most to punish us for leaving their club or lose face and do whats best for their member countries?

Just some numbers (from 2017, I believe):

6.6% of Portugal's exports were to the UK
6.9% of Spain's exports were to the UK
3.9% of Greece's exports were to the UK

44% of the UK's exports were to the EU

If tariffs make exports so expensive that the importing countries don't bother, it's bad for everyone. But it's not hard to see who's worst affected.

Back
Top Bottom