• Call in the Donald

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Call in Noel Edmonds

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • I don't care anymore

Votes: 37 21.1%

• Total voters
I loved the analogy that one of the Lords cited the other day:

He asked his three elderly aunts what they would like to do the following day. Two of them agreed that they wanted to go to the cinema. Therefore the democratic process meant that he was to take all three to the cinema the next day. However, he then looked up which films were on and found it was Reservoir Dogs or Texas Chainsaw Massacre. What was he to do?

That will go as follows:

EU Negotiating team: Hello Theresa
Maybot: We would like to renegotiate the backstop.
Ireland pipe up: No chance.
Maybot: It has to be renegotiated as I can't get the deal through parliament.
EU: Sorry Theresa but no more negotiation on the Withdrawal Bill.

And we are back where we started with the Maybot trying to get the same deal through Parliament that won't get through but she will have wasted even more time.

Apparently she might not be able to pull the vote as they will have to vote on pulling the vote and a number of Tories will vote against.

Laura Kuenssberg not sure:

Edit: 3 Tory MPs have confirmed they will vote against delaying the vote but there is confusion on the process.

Last edited:
The whole leavers didn't being to know what they voted for thing is a myth. Of course, some people weren't informed and didn't care, but the sweeping statements from some in the Leave camp is a little disrespectful. I've heard a myriad of reasons why people voted Leave.

Surely the point being that it would only take 3% of voters to fall into this category and vote differently for the overall result to be different. I personally feel that the numbers that 'voted blind' because it seemed like a fun rebellous thing to do; or believed the what they read on the side of buses; or were so obsessed with a single issue (most likely immigration) that they didnt consider other aspects in the bigger picture, or whatever would come to far more than 3%

Why would they vote against the vote?

Because they want a vote on May's Deal, I think ostensibly to chuck it out (certainly the reasoning of 1 Tory MP).

Although the vote for the vote may not be necessary:
Edit: The EU won't renegotiate as they've already reiterated and will back Ireland. So the delay is a pointless exercise and the Maybot is coming over worse than Boris in trying to survive and protect her own position rather than being all about getting the job done (as she has claimed).

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1072129699449589760&ref_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-parliaments-46506969

Also: Leo Varadkar I believe has said they won't consider renegotiating the backstop.

Many Tories (both leave and remain) coming out on the news criticising this and delaying the vote is a pointless exercise.

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: Ian
But, but, but we were told May’s deal wasn’t negotiable.

What a load of horse s**t, the British public are being taken for fools. Classic EU orchestrated last minute drama. No doubt May will come back from Brussels, step off the plane waving a piece of paper

EU Court of Justice have also just ruled that Brexit can be reversed. Amazing timing , what a coincidence! I thought courts were meant be free from political interference. If the timing of that announcement isn’t political then I’m a monkey’s uncle.

But, but, but we were told May’s deal wasn’t negotiable.

What a load of horse s**t, the British public are being taken for fools. Classic EU orchestrated last minute drama. No doubt May will come back from Brussels, step off the plane waving a piece of paper

EU Court of Justice have also just ruled that Brexit can be reversed. Amazing timing , what a coincidence! I thought courts were meant be free from political interference. If the timing of that announcement isn’t political then I’m a monkey’s uncle.
Maybe they are willing to give us the deal that Dave wanted, in order to keep us in. :)

Last edited:
But if May is off to try and better the deal, why vote against stopping the vote??

Because the EU and Ireland have already said they won't renegotiate the backstop or Withdrawal Bill. These MPs I suspect are No Deal Brexiteers or staunch Remainers.

Just when we thought it couldn't get any more confusing!

So Teresa wasn't going to change her deal AT ALL.

The EU weren't going to offer more favourable terms AT ALL.

Now the EU court has announced Britain could rescind Brexit without another member's approval and suddenly the Commons vote is off and Teresa's off to Brussels.

Who do you think you can trust least: ANY politician or ANY OUFC chairman?

Yep. An absolutely f**king mess which is all of the Maybot's and the Tories making since the Referendum.

Vince Cable was just asked, if another referendum had the result of 48%-52% in favour of staying in the EU is that acceptable and he said YES as we have to draw a line under this.

Gobsmacked!

Vince Cable was just asked, if another referendum had the result of 48%-52% in favour of staying in the EU is that acceptable and he said YES as we have to draw a line under this.

Gobsmacked!

I quite like Vince, but he would say that wouldn’t he!

Remainers would probably also accept 51/49 (surprise, surprise) but doubt they would except 49/51, insisting that opinion is shifting in their direction and in a couple of years time when a few more OAP’s had died they will get the ‘correct’ result.

Yep. An absolutely f**king mess which is all of the Maybot's and the Tories making since the Referendum.

She’s had a tough gig, but what sympathy I had for her has evaporated. So much of this mess is totally self inflicted.

The worst PM in my living memory, and there’s quite a bit of competition!

I still find it amazing that Labour aren’t way ahead in the polls, then I see Corbyn being interviewed by Peston last night and I realise why.

Remainers would probably also accept 51/49 (surprise, surprise) but doubt they would except 49/51, insisting that opinion is shifting in their direction and in a couple of years time when a few more OAP’s had died they will get the ‘correct’ result.
The number of OAPs is going up - not down - as time goes on.

Gobsmacked!

My interpretation is whatever the result that is it. So a result in favour of Brexit (assuming the option is a no deal Brexit) then it is Hard Brexit, a vote in favour of Remain then we remain. Make the result legally binding rather than an advisory result which would make it clearer.

The number of OAPs is going up - not down - as time goes on.

True. However lots of young (very naive;)) people suddenly eligible to vote for the first time, much more likely to vote remain.

Remainer Cameron made a huge mistake calling a referendum when he did, should’ve waited until 2020.;)

Back
Top Bottom