Votes: 77 44.0%
  • Call in the Donald

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Call in Noel Edmonds

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • I don't care anymore

Votes: 37 21.1%

• Total voters
How do you think a compromise can be reached?
You really can't blame the EU for wanting a VERY hard border between itself and the soon-to-be Third World UK. How long before our citizens decide to move in their millions across the border in search of food and medicine? Makes sense for the EU to want a wall. Got to keep those desperate foreigners out.
so i take it you'll be moving to a EU country after Brexit??.........pffffft didnt think so

Brexit is a bit like PPI in that a fair few people were convinced by a few slick talking salesmen that it was just what they needed, only to find out it wouldn't help them, they didn't need it, or they already had access to the alledged benefits in products they already had owned.

And so one of the biggest mis-selling scandals of modern times resulted in billions of pounds of compensation for duped customers everywhere.

Of course the difference is there will be no compensation with Brexit, especially no deal Brexit.

Last edited:
So Gary are you in favour of a no deal exit, May’s deal or remaining know what you now know as it stands?
I did think May's deal would ultimately be the best it was going to get, so I'd rather have voted on it and talked trade, but other didn't think so. I would much rather a deal is agreed upon with the EU because both sides will lose without one, but I'm realistic enough that sometimes you have to walk away and accept the worst case scenario because you have other priorities that you need get on with. 3 years is long enough.

Brexit has sucked an abnormal amount of legislative time up and I am at a point where I care more about funding the Police, funding schools, investing in infrastructure, particularly in the north, than listening to a bunch of Remainers constantly moan about leaving the EU for another couple of years while parliament spins it's wheels because no can agree on anything.

So if it has to be a No Deal Brexit, so be it. It's an opportunity lost, but an opportunity gained. I am fed up of the persistent negativity about Brexit and shrill doom mongering that has dragged this country down since the vote, and I am not the only one who wants to move on now to look to the future rather than obsess about a vote held 3 years ago and how awfully thick those racists are who voted for it.

We cannot Remain and even vaguely call ourselves a Democracy. If that happened, I will only sit back and say I told you so when politics becomes even nastier than it is now and Remainers don't like how badly they are treated.

Every day that goes by it seems someone has to be negative about leaving.
Mark Carney constantly reminds us how catastrophic things will be. Medical supplies will run out. Science research will not get EU funding. Food will get more expensive. Farmers will lose their subsidies.
It is up to the U.K. now to help those affected, but that will be our decision not decisions made elsewhere.
Rightly or wrongly, this country voted to leave and that will now happen

And as for a 2nd vote. I am not so stupid to fall for that trick, and plenty of others who voted to leave won't fall for it either. We know another vote would not be held if it was 52-48 the other way in a 2nd vote and we voted to Remain, so we understand the game that has been afoot, and will fight it persistently and won't fall for any old tricks.

I can only reaffirm my view that the UK has to move, look to the future, take it for what it is and forget about constantly fighting a 3 year old vote. I am incredibly positive about this country and the skills and talent within it, I just wish others put the same energy into this, than stopping Brexit. Whatever happens, our future is going to be tough, but that is the same in or out of the EU.

Brexit has sucked an abnormal amount of legislative time up and I am at a point where I care more about funding the Police, funding schools, investing in infrastructure, particularly in the north, than listening to a bunch of Remainers constantly moan about leaving the EU for another couple of years while parliament spins it's wheels because no can agree on anything.

So if it has to be a No Deal Brexit, so be it. It's an opportunity lost, but an opportunity gained. I am fed up of the persistent negativity about Brexit and shrill doom mongering that has dragged this country down since the vote, and I am not the only one who wants to move on now to look to the future rather than obsess about a vote held 3 years ago and how awfully thick those racists are who voted for it.

But surely you can see that, following a No Deal Brexit, it will not be back to Business as Usual any time soon?

There's going to be an insane amount of work to do. Britain has to work out some sort of deal - or a succession of smaller deals - with the EU to manage the separation of the million and one things that are currently integrated (e.g. air travel, intelligence, medicines, fishing etc. etc.). Britain has to work out what it's going to do at the borders - both with Ireland and at ports & airports. Britain has to put some sort of trade deals in place with someone - and there's some pretty big, pretty controversial decisions to be made there. Scotland is going to want a second referendum, so that needs to be managed......

Investing in infrastructure? Come back in a decade, when we've finally sorted everything out and know where we stand in the world again.

You can only have business as usual if you don't initiate a gigantic and fundamental change in the country's relationship with the world.

Lots of deals have already been negotiated with countries around the world.
The sooner the uncertainty is over for business the better off everyone will be

Lots of deals have already been negotiated with countries around the world.

Have they? Talk us through these deals, bearing in mind what they have to replace.

The deals I have read about were either in the Mail On Sunday today or Sky News but without wasting my time on that I’ll leave you to look into that.
If you want to do some of your own research then that’s fine by me

The deals I have read about were either in the Mail On Sunday today or Sky News but without wasting my time on that I’ll leave you to look into that.
If you want to do some of your own research then that’s fine by me

Anything bigger than Micronesia or Tahiti?

And the uncertainty won't be over for business - in the event of a No Deal Brexit - until trade deals that cover a significant proportion of our trade are signed (or we confirm that we're going to trade with our biggest partners, like the EU, the US & China without one).

There was always going to be uncertainty and that is certainly not good for business generally.
I have a feeling that shares and house prices are going to rise substantially in the run up till the end of October

But surely you can see that, following a No Deal Brexit, it will not be back to Business as Usual any time soon?

There's going to be an insane amount of work to do. Britain has to work out some sort of deal - or a succession of smaller deals - with the EU to manage the separation of the million and one things that are currently integrated (e.g. air travel, intelligence, medicines, fishing etc. etc.). Britain has to work out what it's going to do at the borders - both with Ireland and at ports & airports. Britain has to put some sort of trade deals in place with someone - and there's some pretty big, pretty controversial decisions to be made there. Scotland is going to want a second referendum, so that needs to be managed......

Investing in infrastructure? Come back in a decade, when we've finally sorted everything out and know where we stand in the world again.

You can only have business as usual if you don't initiate a gigantic and fundamental change in the country's relationship with the world.
Yup, but I mean from a legislative point of view. We're no longer in an endless cycle of confidence votes, proroguing parliament distractions, votes on deals, etc. Parliament is moving from Brexit to do what it's paid to do.

We can get back to a UK legislative agenda that has largely been absent for 3 years. We desperately need to sort out social care over my other points, but with Brexit hanging around like a stale fart in a server room, it's getting little time and focus, when it deserves more. For better or worse, a No Deal will mean we step off of the EU hamster wheel and can sort ourselves out.

It won't be easy, won't be pleasant, but we have to move on from this legislative paralysis. I want a deal, but not at the expense of everything else and not reaching 4 years talking about a theoretical backstop.

There have been talks about side deals with the EU since December 2017, so the shock won't be as immediate a feared. I suspect certainty will help the markets a ton, even if it's a sub-optimal deal.

Now is the time to invest in infrastructure. Anyone who has taken a train east from Manchester can testify to how the north is crying out for investment. It will eat into the deficit reduction, but at a time when the job market could be shaky, it will help shore up the initial No Deal shock. Only a fool leaves it 10 years IMHO

As an aside, it's nice to see the UK finally be a little dismissive of the EU - the 30 days from Mutti feels like the Maybot's negotiations were an appalling 2+ year sideshow before we finally went back with what we want.

I have a feeling that shares and house prices are going to rise substantially in the run up till the end of October
House prices will almost certainly collapse before Christmas. No deal will hack chunks out of them and we’ve got another global recession like in 2008/9 just around the corner.

House prices will almost certainly collapse before Christmas. No deal will hack chunks out of them and we’ve got another global recession like in 2008/9 just around the corner.
Why would house prices collapse? They’ve already done so in the light of three years uncertainty.
We’ve had ten years of near zero interest rates and with uncertainty due to end soon....at least most of us hope so, I’d imagine if anything we should be cautiously optimistic. I think the EU will come up with some compromise as we get nearer to October.
It’s in the interests of all concerned to do trade deals.
Trade barriers are of no help to anyone.
The only concern I have at the moment is the stand off between China and US and the very sad things going on in HK.

Not so sure about the house prices. The pound is likely to crash meaning that property for foreigners (or UK Nationals with offshore funds) will look like generous investment opportunities, leading to a spike in demand.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Back
Top Bottom