Votes: 77 44.0%
  • Call in the Donald

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Call in Noel Edmonds

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • I don't care anymore

Votes: 37 21.1%

• Total voters
I see the EU, in their truest form of self serving bureaucracy appointed an not well regarded German defence minister as their new "President", alongside a cavalcade of other questionables. The minister is so good that the German's ran out of guns for a defence exercise and used broomsticks painted black instead and described as their weakest minister.

And just did it behind doors. What a day to be alive! ?

I see the EU, in their truest form of self serving bureaucracy appointed an not well regarded German defence minister as their new "President", alongside a cavalcade of other questionables. The minister is so good that the German's ran out of guns for a defence exercise and used broomsticks painted black instead and described as their weakest minister.

And just did it behind doors. What a day to be alive! ?

They haven't appointed anybody yet although she has been nominated. The MEPs still have to vote for her (15th July according to the linked article) to get the job.

And the MEPs are mightily pissed off that their candidates got ignored including the one a majority voted for. The largest centre right group that actually involves her party are very vocally angry about.

They haven't appointed anybody yet although she has been nominated. The MEPs still have to vote for her (15th July according to the linked article) to get the job.

And the MEPs are mightily pissed off that their candidates got ignored including the one a majority voted for. The largest centre right group that actually involves her party are very vocally angry about.

It feels like a royal stitch up. The Spanish chap who was prosecuted for insider trading is another standout candidate. What were they thinking?

It feels like a royal stitch up. The Spanish chap who was prosecuted for insider trading is another standout candidate. What were they thinking?

I suspect the MEPs will vote against the appointments which will mean it will get even more interesting.

Do they have the numbers though? While there has been a swing, the leading voting blocs are still powerful. I'd be surprised if this didn't go through

Do they have the numbers though? While there has been a swing, the leading voting blocs are still powerful. I'd be surprised if this didn't go through

The leading bloc (which includes her Party) are angry, the Greens are angry, the other centre left groupings are angry. I don't think there is a grouping that isn't unhappy, well apart from the Brexit Party, to the point (based on what I've read) that a majority of MEPs are demanding the system is reviewed and changed.

Anger is one thing, intentions to vote are another if the likes of Merkel and Macron get involved.

I cannot believe the EU actually thought it was a good idea to act like that.

What about the new head of the ECB ?

"In December 2016, the court found Lagarde guilty of negligence, but declined to impose a penalty. "...................thats a conviction then for "criminal negligence" but all is good......

8 year fixed term "de facto" job paying around 390,000 + expenses.....nice....

Anger is one thing, intentions to vote are another if the likes of Merkel and Macron get involved.

I cannot believe the EU actually thought it was a good idea to act like that.

Based on the statements I've seen I'll be very surprised if they vote through the proposed people as she wasn't even on the list. And the MEPs see it as an attack on the European Parliament and their role from my interpretation of those comments which with the mood beforehand after the European elections for greater transparency, I can see this being a line in the sand moment. Of course, my intrepretation of the comments may be wrong.

What about the new head of the ECB ?

"In December 2016, the court found Lagarde guilty of negligence, but declined to impose a penalty. "...................thats a conviction then for "criminal negligence" but all is good......

8 year fixed term "de facto" job paying around 390,000 + expenses.....nice....
I saw that one and did wonder the same thing. Regardless of the criminality, there are real questions if Lagarde as a lawyer has the relevant experience to the run the ECB. I don't know what the mandarins in the EU are thinking at the moment, but as a Brexiteer, it makes me feel justified in voting to leave.

Based on the statements I've seen I'll be very surprised if they vote through the proposed people as she wasn't even on the list. And the MEPs see it as an attack on the European Parliament and their role from my interpretation of those comments which with the mood beforehand after the European elections for greater transparency, I can see this being a line in the sand moment. Of course, my intrepretation of the comments may be wrong.
Ursula was a hand picked appointment by Merkel, so she is going to fight for it. With the EUs dependence on others for their fiscal health, will MEPs bite the hand that feeds them?

Ursula was a hand picked appointment by Merkel, so she is going to fight for it. With the EUs dependence on others for their fiscal health, will MEPs bite the hand that feeds them?

When you have a member of her party and leader of the Centre right bloc so publically angry, I suspect they will vote against it. That doesn't even take in to account those like the Greens, centre-left who are against it and have no stake in her. Also, the person the European Parliament proposed after voting that had a majority support for them in the Parliament is the centre right candidate from the same bloc as her party.

Also, the Germans can't withhold their contributions because they don't like it if the MEPs vote against their preferred candidate.

A country that has a government that maintains Chris Grayling in a cabinet post for several years hasn’t exactly got much room to shout in terms of the supposed lack of talent in the EU.

A country that has a government that maintains Chris Grayling in a cabinet post for several years hasn’t exactly got much room to shout in terms of the supposed lack of talent in the EU.

PR skills........... he has an amazing ability to "distance" himself from his signature on total clusterfudges ! (y)
He has also been the "axeman" for a lot of Government departments and does the "dirty work" that saves money but costs jobs.

When you have a member of her party and leader of the Centre right bloc so publically angry, I suspect they will vote against it. That doesn't even take in to account those like the Greens, centre-left who are against it and have no stake in her. Also, the person the European Parliament proposed after voting that had a majority support for them in the Parliament is the centre right candidate from the same bloc as her party.

Also, the Germans can't withhold their contributions because they don't like it if the MEPs vote against their preferred candidate.
They cannot, but it's politics and the Germans are very adept at it. Unless they are so arrogant that they believe they can do whatever they want in Europe?

We're not allowing him to be President of the country or anything like that! Or head of a Central Bank. He only gets to play with trainsets nowadays

I saw that one and did wonder the same thing. Regardless of the criminality, there are real questions if Lagarde as a lawyer has the relevant experience to the run the ECB. I don't know what the mandarins in the EU are thinking at the moment, but as a Brexiteer, it makes me feel justified in voting to leave.

Lagarde has been Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund for the past eight years!

I'm not going to represent anything about her competence or criminality, but heading the global centre for macroeconomic policy for the best part of a decade would seem to be reasonable experience for running a central bank.

Of course the current favourite to replace her at the IMF.....Mark Carney.

Lagarde has been Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund for the past eight years!

I'm not going to represent anything about her competence or criminality, but heading the global centre for macroeconomic policy for the best part of a decade would seem to be reasonable experience for running a central bank.

Of course the current favourite to replace her at the IMF.....Mark Carney.
I was reading around the subject, and while LaGarde has been head of the IMF, the nuances she's worked with aren't unfortunately a direct cross over to what the ECB does and what the likes Draghi have had to do as a Central Banker. I had assumed she was a slam dunk appointment. While she is an adept politician and lawyer, the technical economist part of the role is where her skills are more lacking, to be polite.

Maybe what they are looking for is a politician rather than a technocrat, but of course, this criminal case should kind of disqualify anyone from that sort of job: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38369822

I see George Osborne wants the job too!

Back
Top Bottom