National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

From today's Guardian. Even you fartypants Brexiteers have to laugh at this one.

'In the meantime, with the Bank of England governor appearing before the Treasury select committee on Monday to forecast “apocalyptic” food prices, do you get the sense that the government has anything in the same postcode as a plan to make things even mildly better? Hand on heart, no. Quite the opposite. In fact, it has two plans to make them worse. The first is a possible trade war with the EU, which smelled-it-dealt-it treaty critic David Frost seems to be suggesting is one of the good kinds of wars. And the second is Boris Johnson’s triumphant announcement, via the pages of the Daily Mail as opposed to their line managers, that he is going to lay off 91,000 civil servants.'
According to the Daily Mail, the reason the Bank of England can't control this is because.....wait for it....

ALL their staff are working from home

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...gland-helpless-Staff-office-one-day-week.html

f*****g priceless :ROFLMAO:

When I worked in export, you had to make a declaration on the customs paperwork as to the origin, purpose and circulation of the goods; I assume it's still the same after nearly 4 years since I left.

I cannot see why a statement of "Not for onward journey", "Not for re-sale" or even a blunt "Not for export to EU member states" would not be sufficient to allow the free flow of goods without duties from the mainland to the province and checks would then only be required on shipments without that declaration. Overly simple, but such a statement would allow free trade between the NI and GB to support the UK's internal market and it protects the EU against goods entering the Single Market, which is what the EU wants.

The contention remains the NI/Eire open border, but any goods moving that way that have been so declared is obviously an offence and that can be dealt with under existing customs regulations. I'm sure the EU will be particularly vigilant for goods arriving into mainland Europe from Eire - especially when they notice they used to receive them across the channel!

When I worked in export, you had to make a declaration on the customs paperwork as to the origin, purpose and circulation of the goods; I assume it's still the same after nearly 4 years since I left.

I cannot see why a statement of "Not for onward journey", "Not for re-sale" or even a blunt "Not for export to EU member states" would not be sufficient to allow the free flow of goods without duties from the mainland to the province and checks would then only be required on shipments without that declaration. Overly simple, but such a statement would allow free trade between the NI and GB to support the UK's internal market and it protects the EU against goods entering the Single Market, which is what the EU wants.

The contention remains the NI/Eire open border, but any goods moving that way that have been so declared is obviously an offence and that can be dealt with under existing customs regulations. I'm sure the EU will be particularly vigilant for goods arriving into mainland Europe from Eire - especially when they notice they used to receive them across the channel!
A far too sensible and logical solution I fear

But surely you have to wait for non-existent technology to be developed so you can do this? Just writing a declaration gives no financial benefit to anyone 'important' does it?

It’s non story.
Irrespective of what our crazy government repeal,
any business wishing to export goods to another place, will continue to do so on the basis that they comply with the destination’s requirements.

"Mr Rees-Mogg is said to have told the cabinet earlier this month about the plan to force an expiry date on 1,500 pieces of EU legislation. This is to "force radical thinking" from Government departments."

Ah, the Cortes ship-burning approach to motivate the civil service to solve all the government's problems for them. Good luck with that!

"Mr Rees-Mogg is said to have told the cabinet earlier this month about the plan to force an expiry date on 1,500 pieces of EU legislation. This is to "force radical thinking" from Government departments."

Ah, the Cortes ship-burning approach to motivate the civil service to solve all the government's problems for them. Good luck with that!

And they have to be in the office* to do it.

*Regardless if there is available space or not.

And they have to be in the office* to do it.

*Regardless if there is available space or not.
Sadly they don’t.
They can pass the laws and unless any new government reverses them, they will stand.
A good example: Forbidding Councils from using funds from council house sales, to build new homes.
Never overturned by Labour.

Sadly they don’t.
They can pass the laws and unless any new government reverses them, they will stand.
A good example: Forbidding Councils from using funds from council house sales, to build new homes.
Never overturned by Labour.

I should have been clearer, I was referring to the Civil Service and the haunted Pencil's moaning linked with Tonyw's penultimate sentence.

If we don't comply with EU standards we can't sell our goods in the EU. Come on you Brexiteers which of you never saw that one coming?

I think I pointed that out about 5, maybe 6 years ago.

Never mind, apparently the answer is to just sell to the huge market made up by the rest of the world....apart from the fact that said standards are become more unified and less diverse all the time ....and largely led by multi-nation cooperatives like....the EU. This is mainly because (funnily enough) all countries want to be able to sell to each other, so must meet each others standards.

But hey....Brexit fundamentalists know best 🤷‍♂️

So in other words, the UK already manufacturers goods that meet the standards required by the EU and even if those standards were "relaxed", are companies going to invest millions in re-tooling and processing costs in order to not be able to send them to countries in the single market?

Bit of a non-story; life will go on....

So in other words, the UK already manufacturers goods that meet the standards required by the EU and even if those standards were "relaxed", are companies going to invest millions in re-tooling and processing costs in order to not be able to send them to countries in the single market?

Or to put it another way, more Brexit bullshit, given that "controlling our own laws" was central to the very idea of leaving the EU[emoji2369]

We will always fall in line with what the market dictates, we do not and never will control it....and haven't since the days of Empire.

That said, I suspect this is where Moggy and many of the Brexity moonies would like us to be...

Or to put it another way, more Brexit bullshit, given that "controlling our own laws" was central to the very idea of leaving the EU[emoji2369]

We will always fall in line with what the market dictates, we do not and never will control it....and haven't since the days of Empire.

That said, I suspect this is where Moggy and many of the Brexity moonies would like us to be...
285715229_559546062195867_6693364655390474786_n.jpeg

You mean we aren't going to get 1400rpm vacuum cleaners now?! I'm utterly devastated I tell ya as the haunted Pencil mentioned it as being a Brexit bonus....

I think the only vacuum still manufacturered in the UK is the Henry....

So David Frost has now come out and admitted that the UK negotiating position was weak ("Shaped as the protocol is by relative UK weakness and EU predominance in the withdrawal agreement negotiations") and that the agreement he negotiated and BoJo signed would only work if the EU didn't apply its terms (“The protocol arrangements could only have worked if, in real life, the EU regulatory framework had not been fully applied in practice ").

So BoJo "got Brexit done" by signing a deal they knew would not work unless the other side did not implement its terms - seems fairly fraudulent to me.

Back
Top Bottom