National News The Brexit Thread πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ί

Assuming we didn't rush the approval through out of desperation/political point scoring (bearing in mind we have the worst covid stats in Europe and the approval came back in about 10 minutes).

Throughout all of this HMG has taken the approach that they know better than all of the collective minds and experience of Europe and time and time again that approach has been proven disastrous.

Correct we didn`t rush it, we worked hard and the MHRA are "fastidious" in the extreme.

France & Italy have rapidly increasing death rates, as does Germany and they have little or no vaccine or roll out capacity.
Whilst our death toll is bleak it will take some time for the true comparisons to be made.

OK. Im actually delighted it was pushed through early but i think it was a risk - we didn't have much choice and so its a conditional yes (we don't know with certainty yet).

Anything else?

Of everything right now trying to belittle the efforts of other country vaccine roll outs is the one thing we shouldn't be engaging in. This is a global pandemic and it will only be overcome with a globe effort (particularly if we continue to fail to get a grip of our borders). The limiting factor is the supply of vaccine as I'd imagine most counties will find the human resource needed to deliver it once it's available. We should be cheering all other counties on. I appreciate xenophobes are finding this concept difficult.

OK. Im actually delighted it was pushed through early but i think it was a risk - we didn't have much choice and so its a conditional yes (we don't know with certainty yet).

Anything else?

Patience, there are but 3 weeks gone.

The sky hasn`t fallen in and the world is a very different place.

Many are bridging arrangements and provisional but will get signed off in due course.

Of everything right now trying to belittle the efforts of other country vaccine roll outs is the one thing we shouldn't be engaging in. This is a global pandemic and it will only be overcome with a globe effort (particularly if we continue to fail to get a grip of our borders). The limiting factor is the supply of vaccine as I'd imagine most counties will find the human resource needed to deliver it once it's available. We should be cheering all other counties on. I appreciate xenophobes are finding this concept difficult.

If it was us that was failing you would be singing a different tune, hypocrisy isn`t a good look.

Patience, there are but 3 weeks gone.

The sky hasn`t fallen in and the world is a very different place.

Many are bridging arrangements and provisional but will get signed off in due course.

I'm patient. I just want to know what benefits I've got to look forward to. Educate me.

I reckon those in the fishing industry who have lost their jobs or are about to lose their businesses feel as if the sky has fallen in.

I have no idea and frankly what’s the point.
All I know is that we are where we are and that business and the public ,has to get on and deal with what ever this throws at us.
I agree that we have to get on with it but i think the point is obvious and pretty f*****g significant. 51% of us voted for this yet none of them seem able to explain why.

I'm patient. I just want to know what benefits I've got to look forward to. Educate me.

Trade deals.

Saving the annual cost of membership.

Not having to contribute to future bailout funding.

Greater accountability in Parliament.

A reduction in cheap imported labour, and subsequently an increase in the base wage, lower competition for housing, school spaces, healthcare, and general congestion.

No threat of being tied to a weak currency.

As others have identified, you can't judge the benefits of a new global political position within 20 odd days of it taking shape. Nor can you judge the downsides. What's encouraging is that we haven't had the Brexit recession (George Osborne), we haven't had World War III (David Cameron), and we haven't lost those 500,000 Brexit jobs which we were promised. We haven't had medicine shortages. We haven't had food shortages.

... But we have had a few videos from regretful fishermen and some ham sandwiches have been confiscated at the border. So I guess we'd best rejoin immediately πŸ™„

I agree that we have to get on with it but i think the point is obvious and pretty f*****g significant. 51% of us voted for this yet none of them seem able to explain why.
It was a protest vote and seemed like a good idea at the time. Many of the 51% don't like the reality, they were duped. They will still protest, it wasn't EU membership that was offensive it was UK politics, and that will not change any time soon.

As others have identified, you can't judge the benefits of a new global political position within 20 odd days of it taking shape. Nor can you judge the downsides. What's encouraging is that we haven't had the Brexit recession (George Osborne), we haven't had World War III (David Cameron), and we haven't lost those 500,000 Brexit jobs which we were promised. We haven't had medicine shortages. We haven't had food shortages...

You say too early to judge either way but then you judge in one way πŸ€”

It was a protest vote and seemed like a good idea at the time. Many of the 51% don't like the reality, they were duped. They will still protest, it wasn't EU membership that was offensive it was UK politics, and that will not change any time soon.
Agreed. First party with any credibility who offer readmission to the eu, after a respectable break to allow the duped to correct their mistake without looking stupid, will walk into power.

Whether the EU have us back is another question.

Trade deals.

Saving the annual cost of membership.

Not having to contribute to future bailout funding.

Greater accountability in Parliament.

A reduction in cheap imported labour, and subsequently an increase in the base wage, lower competition for housing, school spaces, healthcare, and general congestion.

No threat of being tied to a weak currency.

As others have identified, you can't judge the benefits of a new global political position within 20 odd days of it taking shape. Nor can you judge the downsides. What's encouraging is that we haven't had the Brexit recession (George Osborne), we haven't had World War III (David Cameron), and we haven't lost those 500,000 Brexit jobs which we were promised. We haven't had medicine shortages. We haven't had food shortages.

... But we have had a few videos from regretful fishermen and some ham sandwiches have been confiscated at the border. So I guess we'd best rejoin immediately πŸ™„
You really didn't expect that to happen in 22 days. Give the process time to happen. You say it won't happen, I say it might, take a rain check and see where we are next year.
But all the short term issues exporters and importers were concerned about are happening. Inflation will go up, just because import costs are higher, access to cheap labour will diminish. The good thing though is we can be unemployed sovereign Englishman. Well British.

Last edited:
You really didn't expect that to happen in 22 days. Give the process time to happen. You say it won't happen, I say it might, take a rain check and see where we are next year.
But all the short term issues exporters and importers were concerned about are happening. Inflation will go up, just because import costs are higher, access to cheap labour will diminish. The good thing though is we can be unemployed sovereign Englishman.
That might be your opinion but it wasn't the Government or the Remain campaign's official projection. The nightmarish effects I described were to be "immediate" effects of a leave vote.

Here's the link:

So although your opinion is perfectly valid, I would respectfully suggest that if the Government and the Treasury can be so wrong about this, I'm sure you're much more likely to be wrong and with the added downside of not having even nearly as much knowledge, resource or evidence to support your doom-mongering.

I'd add that predictions of an eventual return to the EU are also based on the shaky presumption that the EU will even exist in the next 20-50 years.

Back
Top Bottom