National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

If the government has said it won't allow lower food standards following Brexit why would it legislate to give itself the power to do exactly that?

Piffle, fuss over nothing!

It'll be like neonicotinoids, just a little 10 minute relaxation, then all back to normal. Nothing to see here.

And how could it be otherwise in a country led by the inscrutibly honest BoJo?

It'll be like neonicotinoids, just a little 10 minute relaxation, then all back to normal. Nothing to see here.

Bojo thinks well we have get some cheap food for all these miserable needy school kids. Can somebody please get rid of that meddling Marcus Rashford. Can we transfer him to Italy or Spain in return for all our fish. Nobody in England eats it anyway.

Bojo thinks well we have get some cheap food for all these miserable needy school kids. Can somebody please get rid of that meddling Marcus Rashford. Can we transfer him to Italy or Spain in return for all our fish. Nobody in England eats it anyway.
Love these conspiracy theories.
The government are really not that clever.

Same as in France and several other EU countries then.......

So the last one he sent it before Christmas, when parcel firms were kind of busy, didn`t do the paperwork because he was probably trying to dodge doing it.

Then gets all tweety when Fedex send it back.......

And how many tens of thousands of transactions have been perfectly fine for context?

Nope just focus on the tweety whiny one.

Oh yes we won't/will, not. 😵

BBC News - Brexit: No plans to dilute workers' rights, minister says

BBC News - Brexit: Government considers scrapping some EU labour laws

Last edited:
Last edited:
Oh yes we won't/will, not. 😵

BBC News - Brexit: No plans to dilute workers' rights, minister says

BBC News - Brexit: Government considers scrapping some EU labour laws
From the second piece:

Appearing before MPs, the business secretary said: "I'm very struck as I look at EU economies how many EU countries - I think it's about 17 or 18 - have essentially opted out of the working time directive.
"So even by just following that we are way above the average European standard and I want to maintain that."

I had a look into this, as it seemed a curious statement given how Directives are required to be enforced by EU member states, and I can't find any evidence of it being true. The only 'opt-out's I can see in relation to the WTD are those found in Art. 22 of the text of the Directive - essentially, allowing workers to opt out of the regulations provided they consent to it. Sixteen countries (see p.9) have adopted these opt-out provisions either in whole or in part, so I presume this is what he is referring to. But here's the thing - the UK is one of those countries. It seems to me Kwarteng is implying that the UK is being undercut by European nations who are refusing to implement this Directive while the UK inhibits its own competitiveness by adhering steadfastly to its provisions. But unless he's referring to something else, this simply isn't the case.

The point I have made a few times on this forum before about EU labour laws providing a 'floor rather than a ceiling' of rights applies again. I'm not aware of any EU Directives or Regulations that implicitly or explicitly prevented us from improving workers' rights, improvements that we can now implement outside the shackles of Brussels, but maybe there are some. If anyone knows of any I would genuinely be interested to hear. Because, otherwise, I can't see any 'review of workers' rights' being of any benefit at all to the average worker.

Unfortunately, the business secretary was one of the authors, along with 4 other members of the present cabinet, of Brittania Unchained, in which they stated:

The British are among the worst idlers in the world. We work among the lowest hours, we retire early and our productivity is poor. Whereas Indian children aspire to be doctors or businessmen, the British are more interested in football and pop music.

Too many people in Britain prefer a lie-in to hard work

We must stop bailing out the reckless, avoiding all risk and rewarding laziness.

British workers ‘among worst idlers’, suggest Tory MPs

So, obviously, we should be completely unconcerned. I’m sure our present employment rights are safe in their hands.

Unfortunately, the business secretary was one of the authors, along with 4 other members of the present cabinet, of Brittania Unchained, in which they stated:

The British are among the worst idlers in the world. We work among the lowest hours, we retire early and our productivity is poor. Whereas Indian children aspire to be doctors or businessmen, the British are more interested in football and pop music.

Too many people in Britain prefer a lie-in to hard work

We must stop bailing out the reckless, avoiding all risk and rewarding laziness.

British workers ‘among worst idlers’, suggest Tory MPs

So, obviously, we should be completely unconcerned. I’m sure our present employment rights are safe in their hands.
So retirement will become an idle dream. Basically back to Victorian England, work until you die.

So retirement will become an idle dream. Basically back to Victorian England, work until you die.
Exactly. But unfortunately their are too many people who seem incapable of joining the pretty obvious dots. No names!

From the second piece:

Appearing before MPs, the business secretary said: "I'm very struck as I look at EU economies how many EU countries - I think it's about 17 or 18 - have essentially opted out of the working time directive.
"So even by just following that we are way above the average European standard and I want to maintain that."

I had a look into this, as it seemed a curious statement given how Directives are required to be enforced by EU member states, and I can't find any evidence of it being true. The only 'opt-out's I can see in relation to the WTD are those found in Art. 22 of the text of the Directive - essentially, allowing workers to opt out of the regulations provided they consent to it. Sixteen countries (see p.9) have adopted these opt-out provisions either in whole or in part, so I presume this is what he is referring to. But here's the thing - the UK is one of those countries. It seems to me Kwarteng is implying that the UK is being undercut by European nations who are refusing to implement this Directive while the UK inhibits its own competitiveness by adhering steadfastly to its provisions. But unless he's referring to something else, this simply isn't the case.

The point I have made a few times on this forum before about EU labour laws providing a 'floor rather than a ceiling' of rights applies again. I'm not aware of any EU Directives or Regulations that implicitly or explicitly prevented us from improving workers' rights, improvements that we can now implement outside the shackles of Brussels, but maybe there are some. If anyone knows of any I would genuinely be interested to hear. Because, otherwise, I can't see any 'review of workers' rights' being of any benefit at all to the average worker.

I suppose the genuine purpose of the review will not be to bolster workers' rights, but to identify areas where greater business flexibility can be achieved whilst retaining our core rights.

I'm not even sure why the 48 hour working week point is being raised by the media. Everybody who needs to work longer working weeks signs the opt out as part of their contract or in a side letter. Without question. It's a point of principle that nobody is particularly interested in (or at least haven't been interested in until now for some reason).

I suppose the genuine purpose of the review will not be to bolster workers' rights, but to identify areas where greater business flexibility can be achieved whilst retaining our core rights.

I'm not even sure why the 48 hour working week point is being raised by the media. Everybody who needs to work longer working weeks signs the opt out as part of their contract or in a side letter. Without question. It's a point of principle that nobody is particularly interested in (or at least haven't been interested in until now for some reason).

Creates twatter traffic for the losers to get angsty over.

There has always been an opt out for those who want to do more hours.
We might even get a 7 day NHS but don`t hold your breath on that one.......................

What did most of the fishermen vote for? Because they aren't happy with the outcome!
Its gonna take time,with the remoaners still moaning and the EU getting all narky about it and causing unnecessary problems.......if we had left straight away then it wouldve all settled down by now.why dont all the remoaning tarts just move to the EU????

Back
Top Bottom