National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

Is there any reason why, with all the new build houses that have gone up or are planned, why haven’t they put the latest generation solar panels on EVERY rooftop. Covers the green/carbon neutral angle and all that additional generating capacity would mitigate the need to build new power stations.

I get the bit about there being nothing generated overnight but demand is much lower then, so our existing power stations should cope.

That is something I don't understand, make it a requirement for planning and put in the connectivity etc at the time of building. I don't think it will mitigate the need for new power generation (if nothing else to replace old power stations) but it would be a good dent in it.

Had this exact discussion with Mrs M yesterday evening, why is this not a thing? It seems obvious, and won't add much to the build cost of a house.
So can anyone think why it's not happening? 🤔

Is there any reason why, with all the new build houses that have gone up or are planned, why haven’t they put the latest generation solar panels on EVERY rooftop. Covers the green/carbon neutral angle and all that additional generating capacity would mitigate the need to build new power stations.

I get the bit about there being nothing generated overnight but demand is much lower then, so our existing power stations should cope.
I agree - it is something that me and Mrs ZtH often talk about. There are roof tiles which look like roof tiles but are also solar collectors - why they aren't installed as standard is (obviously) down to cost, but you can subtract the cost of the 'normal' roofing from that - and the more they are used, then the more they will be mass produced, so the cheaper they will get. Supposedly it's already cheaper than a full new roof plus solar panels. It should be part of the new house building regulations, because retrofitting solar panels (and the gubbins required) is expensive and disruptive.

Average solar panel lasts 25 years or so which is generally longer than the companies that supply them and seeing some of the new build "quality" going up probably longer than the house as well.

If it was profitable it would be done but it isn`t so it rarely is.

Personally I would be making it compulsory to fill the roof space of all public buildings and the big warehouses with them rather than building solar farms, then again the other issue is connectivity to the grid.

Brexit will settle down once the remoaners have got their dissapointment out of their system and the EU stop being vindictive and stop cutting off their noses.

Average solar panel lasts 25 years or so which is generally longer than the companies that supply them and seeing some of the new build "quality" going up probably longer than the house as well.

If it was profitable it would be done but it isn`t so it rarely is.

Personally I would be making it compulsory to fill the roof space of all public buildings and the big warehouses with them rather than building solar farms, then again the other issue is connectivity to the grid.

It'll be profitable for housebuilders if it becomes a planning requirement as they won't make any profit if they can't build any houses.

Brexit will settle down once the remoaners have got their dissapointment out of their system and the EU stop being vindictive and stop cutting off their noses.
What did most of the fishermen vote for? Because they aren't happy with the outcome!

reckon I'll find out the actual 'cost' of brexit ,first hand, in the next week or so- mail depending- having just done a deal on record from a Spanish record dealer ( based in Spain) - hoping there wont be any charges, but ,reluctantly, expecting royal mail to what on a handling fee (around £8 ) as well as a customs fee on behalf of the government ( who knows how much?)

I stopped buying rare vinyl records direct from America when additional customs charges and royal mail fees were introduced & imposed some years ago ( around the time Royal mail was privatised by the then coalition government)

private purchases from EU counties were unaffected.... this is my 'trial run' of post brexit record buying from an EU based seller
Update on the above ^^
It was dispatched( posted) in Spain 12 days ago ....usual ( pre-brexit) time for a package (record) to arrive was between 5-7 days

so far , post brexit, its 12 days on from it being posted (air mai) no sign of the package from Spain :rolleyes:

Update on the above ^^
It was dispatched( posted) in Spain 12 days ago ....usual ( pre-brexit) time for a package (record) to arrive was between 5-7 days

so far , post brexit, its 12 days on from it being posted (air mai) no sign of the package from Spain :rolleyes:

I've been waiting 22 days for 2 model cars from France (value €140). Posted on the 28th. No one knows anything. Still at least there's no more bloody immigrants crossing the channel or frogs stealing our fish.

Back
Top Bottom