National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

Agree absolutely with this - the guy was effective, and was either well-liked or at least respected by all the major parties in Northern Ireland and the Republic.
Combining this with the Withdrawal Agreement that cuts Northern Ireland off from the rest of the union.......he really is doing his best to P**s everyone in Northern Ireland off. Maybe he actually secretly is in favour of reunification?

Also, I've never heard of Rishi Sunak before today. Am I ignorant and out-of-touch, or is he really as politically green as he appears?
Still, PPE at Oxford; Goldman Sachs; Manager at various hedge funds.......he certainly fits the current Tory profile!
Smith seemed to get on the wrong side of Downing St - if talk is true.

Sunak did a lot of debates and interviews before the election, so was clearly someone they think is a rising star in the Tory party. Typical Tory background though - private school, father in law is an Indian billionaire, etc. But very green politically but supposedly not that naive to politics.

We're all dying to know what it is, and how we will know when it has been delivered.

Judging by Boris' track record on delivery, I am expecting it to be thoroughly underwhelming and completely half-arsed.

Government officials and lawyers are at this very moment trying desperately to work out the detail of Boris' vacuous rhetoric and make it into something that will actually be deliverable, legal and tangible. I do not envy them one little bit trying to make a silk purse out of that sows ear.

Should have read the manifesto........................ https://vote.conservatives.com/our-plan (y)

You either have a positive, can do attitude ............. or not.

Should have read the manifesto........................ https://vote.conservatives.com/our-plan (y)

You either have a positive, can do attitude ............. or not.
Alternatively....you're easily fobbed off with a few mealy mouthed weasel words in a manifesto (the ultimate handbook for a post truth world...who really gives them creedence anyway :rolleyes: ) and truly believe the moon on a stick is a viable goal....

How are the government (and more importantly their advisers and lawyers...the ones who do all the heavy lifting) getting on with their Northern Ireland border arrangements, by the way?

PS...nice to see the Tory page you've referenced using a bit of Comic Sans font in the title....always a winner:ROFLMAO: .......it's almost like they're trying to send you a subliminal message.....

• React
Reactions: Ian
It isn't, but just parroting 'Get things done' all the time (not you, the Govt) and then re-announcing stuff that's already happened or been decided, setting targets for years after you will no longer be in power (nothing wrong with targets, but a bit of progress on how to achieve them might be a good idea - a proclamation in itself doesn't get anything actually 'done'), lying about what is true or not and burying bits of bad news (friction-free trade? Oh how we laughed) isn't really progress. It's just back to politics as normal after the Brexit fiasco (which isn't actually sorted out at all anyway!).

It isn't, but just parroting 'Get things done' all the time (not you, the Govt) and then re-announcing stuff that's already happened or been decided, setting targets for years after you will no longer be in power (nothing wrong with targets, but a bit of progress on how to achieve them might be a good idea - a proclamation in itself doesn't get anything actually 'done'), lying about what is true or not and burying bits of bad news (friction-free trade? Oh how we laughed) isn't really progress. It's just back to politics as normal after the Brexit fiasco (which isn't actually sorted out at all anyway!).

That is how politic`s/government "works" very,very slowly.
I think the removal of Javid will have a greater impact than we realise.
The "steady hand" has been removed and the purse strings passed to somebody who maybe more maverick.
Lets be honest we could, technically, print as much money as is needed to get the economy moving.
It is often said its the Economy that drives the feel good factor.

I can look out of my office window and see the start of £450 million investment happening. Plenty of builders earning money, more space for services, more staff in work.............. but not for a while yet.

A friend has had a CP on his land for HS2, he says it was bought on the cheap but he`s bought another farm off the back of it for the best part of £3 million and got some left over.

Well said

Re "getting things done" #cough,cough#....post 148, which kind of started this puerile shenanigan [emoji16]

So...turbo charging public spending is now OK is it....but if anyone else tries it....well that would be irresponsible?

Add in the ongoing exercise in centralising powers and decision making to number 10 and it is starting to have all the knockings of a religious cult than....pretty much like momentum...for balance[emoji6]

That is how politic`s/government "works" very,very slowly.
I think the removal of Javid will have a greater impact than we realise.
The "steady hand" has been removed and the purse strings passed to somebody who maybe more maverick.
Lets be honest we could, technically, print as much money as is needed to get the economy moving.
It is often said its the Economy that drives the feel good factor.

I can look out of my office window and see the start of £450 million investment happening. Plenty of builders earning money, more space for services, more staff in work.............. but not for a while yet.

A friend has had a CP on his land for HS2, he says it was bought on the cheap but he`s bought another farm off the back of it for the best part of £3 million and got some left over.
Javid wasn't liked by Cummings (who like other unelected spin doctors in the past, is having far too much influence) so was put in a pretty impossible position - but he did actually resign, rather than being removed. I'd have thought a 'steady hand' was EXACTLY what is needed in a chancellor, rather than a maverick who might think that printing money was a solution to anything much (the lessons of history!). I don't want to be taking a wheelbarrow load of notes down to the shop to buy a loaf.

Just because your mate has made some money off a CP on his HS2 land does not mean that is the norm. Mind you, if it is perhaps that is why it is (already) so ridiculously over budget :)

In any case, the Treasury is way too big and powerful to be controlled by No 10 in the long run. The No 10 machinery is simply too small.

Many have tried it...all have failed.

In any case, the Treasury is way too big and powerful to be controlled by No 10 in the long run. The No 10 machinery is simply too small.

Many have tried it...all have failed.
but, until now the unelected, non-party member Cummings hasn't tried! .... wonder if his puppet, Bojo, will, this time, fall off Cummings' arm in their quest for total control & the creation of a dictatorship? :oops:

Last time a Dictator who was also Chancellor took control of a European country, it didn't end well :rolleyes:

So Dominic Cummings, with Johnson's obvious blessing, has opened the doors to nutters being advisors. This bloke is a racist and believes in forced contraception of people he considers beneath him. Whilst he is only an advisor, he is still in the centre of Govt which he shouldn't be anywhere near with such views.

He sounds like a lovely character. Not. How can we get rid of this plague of unelected 'advisors' that have infected politics for the last forty years or so? They have far too much influence and far too few checks.

Well, the UK GDP comparison from 2018 to 2019 is higher than the Eurozone, even after being flat for 3 months:

The EU countries are 'fighting like ferrets in a bag' over money

Something I was told would never happen as there was plenty of money to go around! And talk of allowing North Macedonia and Albania to join the EU will only it makes worse.

Fun times ahead eh?

• React
Reactions: PQ
Back
Top Bottom