National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

It did. Although if you can't see the irony...
Or rather, some people don't have strictly defined lines on which they can celebrate leaving the EU to prove a political point, etc. Or perhaps even, you are missing the point too.

11pm on Friday I shall be soundly asleep and miss the delivery of something we voted for almost 4 years ago.
The generic lack of celebration probably shows that Leavers have more class & respect than remainers who have been trying to de-rail the democratic will of the people for some time..... ?

Been trying to work out - what exactly happens on Friday, with regards Brexit?

Britain stops getting represented in EU meetings? We stop paying into the EU budget......but do get a 33 billion pound bill? Anything else?

Strikes me that not many changes will be noticeable until the end of the year......and what that will look like, who the hell knows?

Britain stops getting represented in EU meetings? We stop paying into the EU budget......but do get a 33 billion pound bill? Anything else?

Strikes me that not many changes will be noticeable until the end of the year......and what that will look like, who the hell knows?
Some think the UK will crash and become unable to function without the EU on Brexit Day.

We're in the transition period, in theory, to remove the prospect of a "No Deal" Brexit. We will then be able to negotiate any trade deals we want with anyone else, such as US, Australia or the Vatican. In that time, we'll also negotiate with the EU on our future relationship to cover various items that we've been not allowed to start on due to the way they wanted the talks structured - some contributions will stay until we go, some EU structural items will be in place, while others will stop.

Let's be honest, it will be a mess for good couple of years while people adjust to having to think when going to the airport, etc. Fair to say, regardless of the doom or green grass, no one has the foggiest how it will go.

At least those 50ps will be released to the world! I never thought such a stupid thing would trigger people so much

It is just the legal process. Nothing will change until the end of the year.
Our local news had an article based on viewers questions as to what will change between Friday & Saturday, sum answer nothing.
Also read an interesting article that highlighted the financial pain the EU will suffer by us leaving, it has the bottom line effect of the 10 smallest countries all leaving en bloc, but with a greater impact because of the positive contribution we make.
Who is going to make up the payments? France, Germany....... ermmm..... who else have they got?

We're in the transition period, in theory, to remove the prospect of a "No Deal" Brexit. We will then be able to negotiate any trade deals we want with anyone else, such as US, Australia or the Vatican. In that time, we'll also negotiate with the EU on our future relationship to cover various items that we've been not allowed to start on due to the way they wanted the talks structured - some contributions will stay until we go, some EU structural items will be in place, while others will stop.

Let's be honest, it will be a mess for good couple of years while people adjust to having to think when going to the airport, etc. Fair to say, regardless of the doom or green grass, no one has the foggiest how it will go.

At least those 50ps will be released to the world! I never thought such a stupid thing would trigger people so much
Is the Vatican not in the EU?

The 50p, it should be recalled immediately, its a bloody disgrace. Not for what it's commemorating, that's neither here nor there for me, but for the Oxford Comma Scandal...

Such things should never be allowed. ?

We do not stop paying into the budget in the transition period (currently a year)
Not a lot changes except, I believe we stop attending meetings as members of the EU.
The major changes will happen in 2021.

Is the Vatican not in the EU?

The 50p, it should be recalled immediately, its a bloody disgrace. Not for what it's commemorating, that's neither here nor there for me, but for the Oxford Comma Scandal...

Such things should never be allowed. ?
I was being sarcastic with the Vatican - clearly in or out of the EU, there is little trade to be had!

And that in part is why that 50p thing has made me laugh a bit. It's a quote from America and the Oxford comma is perfectly reasonable to add in or out - it's a nothing sort of fuss. The fact that the likes of Philip Pullman and Alastair Campbell have been so triggered by it, makes me want one.

I wasn't that bothered by it, nor the silly celebration in London.

The Vatican isn`t in the EU............ the Holy See is an elective absolute monarchy, with only one major economic actor (the state itself) so it does not meet the criteria. It`s not part of the Custom`s Union either...... and is exempt from EU tax & duties.
It also mints 1 million euro`s a year.

Nope, nothing dodgy going on there, nothing to see.....its only the Catholic church.... and the EU. Two of the most corrupt organisations on the planet.

Boris is the emperor with no clothes - the weavers report that the suit is finished and they mime dressing the emperor who then marches in procession before his subjects. The townsfolk uncomfortably go along with the pretense, not wanting to appear unfit for their positions or stupid. Finally, a child in the crowd blurts out that the emperor is wearing nothing at all and the cry is then taken up by others. The emperor realizes the assertion is true but continues the procession.

Last edited:

I'm in Rome at the weekend, let me know if there's anything I can do...

Wouldn't want it to be thought that us remainers are just going to sit around and wait for the whole house of cards to come tumbling down!

Jeremy is the emperor with no clothes - the weavers report that the suit is finished and they mime dressing the emperor who then marches in procession before his subjects. The townsfolk uncomfortably go along with the pretense, not wanting to appear unfit for their positions or stupid. Finally, a child in the crowd blurts out that the emperor is wearing nothing at all and the cry is then taken up by others. The emperor realizes the assertion is true but continues the procession. And gets caned by the electorate.

I got that for you. ? ?

Back
Top Bottom