99 ford puma st official tracking front
99 ford fiesta st edition 2020 official images hero front

NEWS
by Lawrence Allan
2 mins read
12 January 2021
Ford has substantially increased the prices of two of its most popular models for 2021, claiming that the rise is due to additional tariffs on components built outside the UK and EU.

According to UK price lists from December and January, the price of a Fiesta ST in ST-2 trim rose by £1455 at the start of this month. ST-3 and ST Edition models also went up by £1695, meaning the range now tops out at £28,770.

Also more expensive to buy this year is the recently launched Puma ST. That was available to order from September last year priced from £28,495, but this month that base price has increased to £30,415 with no equipment upgrades.

Speaking to Autocar, a Ford UK spokesman confirmed the rise was “all to do with Brexit pricing” because some of the engine components used in the production of both models are sourced from the US.

Those components push the two models over the allowable limit on what proportion of goods can be assembled from parts made outside of the UK and EU for tariff-free access. Known as ‘rules of origin’, it could mean a number of other UK models assembled in the EU from components made elsewhere become significantly more expensive.

Further clarification on this and many other areas of the newly ratified EU-UK trading agreement is needed, reckon industry leaders. Mike Hawes, CEO of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, says his team “await the details to ensure this deal works for all automotive good and technologies, including specifics on rules of origin and future regulatory co-operation”.
Fear not......plans are well advanced for the new Austin Brexit.....a snip at £32000 (cash sales only) with a full 3 month warranty. And Remainers needn't worry either, there's something for them too!
1610654726462.png

Last edited:
Gosh, I wish I could have only worked 48hrs a week - thank gawd I've retired.......

OPEN GALLERY

NEWS
by Lawrence Allan
2 mins read
12 January 2021
Ford has substantially increased the prices of two of its most popular models for 2021, claiming that the rise is due to additional tariffs on components built outside the UK and EU.

According to UK price lists from December and January, the price of a Fiesta ST in ST-2 trim rose by £1455 at the start of this month. ST-3 and ST Edition models also went up by £1695, meaning the range now tops out at £28,770.

Also more expensive to buy this year is the recently launched Puma ST. That was available to order from September last year priced from £28,495, but this month that base price has increased to £30,415 with no equipment upgrades.

Speaking to Autocar, a Ford UK spokesman confirmed the rise was “all to do with Brexit pricing” because some of the engine components used in the production of both models are sourced from the US.

Those components push the two models over the allowable limit on what proportion of goods can be assembled from parts made outside of the UK and EU for tariff-free access. Known as ‘rules of origin’, it could mean a number of other UK models assembled in the EU from components made elsewhere become significantly more expensive.

Further clarification on this and many other areas of the newly ratified EU-UK trading agreement is needed, reckon industry leaders. Mike Hawes, CEO of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, says his team “await the details to ensure this deal works for all automotive good and technologies, including specifics on rules of origin and future regulatory co-operation”.
The only country in history to vote to impose economic sanctions on itself.

Crazy. Absolutely crazy.

Alternative view, buy fewer new cars and save the environment.

Can`t have it both ways folks.

Greta like this. :)

Already happening. Cars at a 30 year low in sales in the UK. Nothing to do with Brexit, everything to do with Covid and changing work patterns.

Alternative view, buy fewer new cars and save the environment.

Can`t have it both ways folks.

Greta like this. :)
Does it mean fewer car or just that folk keep their old more polluting cars for longer?

Amazing how you poke fun at Greta and defend Moggy to the hilt.

One has done more for the planet than you or I will ever achieve in our lifetime, the other has done more to further his own interests than you or I will ever achieve i our lifetime.

I know which side of history I'd rather be on.

Surely better to keep the old car and use it for as long as possible rather than buy a new car which will be resource intensive to produce?
Yes there will be a tipping point at which old pollution is greater than the new pollution (on a full life basis). Can't say where the point is and anyway it will differ depending on what car is being replaced and what car is being bought.

Pollution is falling now as fewer people use cars.
Ironic the other day. So often I see empty buses as passengers are giving them a wide berth because of Covid or there’s no purpose in their journey. To see an inspector waiting at the bus stop must have been the only passenger for that journey. Maybe he was trying to catch out the bus driver for not wearing his mask.

Pollution is falling now as fewer people use cars.
Ironic the other day. So often I see empty buses as passengers are giving them a wide berth because of Covid or there’s no purpose in their journey. To see an inspector waiting at the bus stop must have been the only passenger for that journey. Maybe he was trying to catch out the bus driver for not wearing his mask.
1610710030184.png

Surely better to keep the old car and use it for as long as possible rather than buy a new car which will be resource intensive to produce?
Yes I'd have thought so.

A Polestar 2 costs around 24 tons of Co2 to produce (I'm not going into the issues around Lithium mining but yeah it's basically an environmental catastrophe). I'm not going to pretend I know how much a Tesla or Ford EV consumes during the build process because I don't know. I can't help but think that charging the thing (at least for the next few decades) will not be carbon neutral either, on the basis that we are not on a purely sustainable electricity grid yet.

A 2015 Audi A4 apparently spits out 28 tons of Co2 per 100,000 miles (according to some online carbon output generator I used).

So yeah it's probably not as green as the advertising makes out, and probably a close run thing over the course of a vehicle's lifetime. An argument to be made for make do and mend.

Tell you what isn't Britain brilliant now we don't have those filthy immigrunts stealing our jobs

Yippee

• React
Reactions: m
Back
Top Bottom