National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

There are a couple of mortgage lenders who only work through IE/Edge. They're also generally crap.
Wow. I'd certainly never enter into a financial contract with a company who ran their business on outdated equipment - it doesn't instil confidence that your details would be securely held does it...

I’m just waiting for the Asian trade deals to surface. The ones that will require the UK to offer fantastic work visa schemes and enormous immigration access, which will see all the white people from Poland replaced by “brown people” who speak even less English. The good news is that they aren’t from an even poorer part of the world than Eastern European people, so they won’t work for even less money than the previous willing and able used to, especially with employment rights now completely up to the government back benchers.

Our high paid, high skilled economy, complete with enormous levelling up for all, is just over the horizon.

I’m just waiting for the Asian trade deals to surface. The ones that will require the UK to offer fantastic work visa schemes and enormous immigration access, which will see all the white people from Poland replaced by “brown people” who speak even less English. The good news is that they aren’t from an even poorer part of the world than Eastern European people, so they won’t work for even less money than the previous willing and able used to, especially with employment rights now completely up to the government back benchers.

Our high paid, high skilled economy, complete with enormous levelling up for all, is just over the horizon.
Like this from 3 days ago you mean...

Isn't IE compatibility implemented in Edge for another 10 years or so? Even so, I thought we'd got past all of this kind of thing in the early 2000s. That's the problem with big institutions using outdated technology. I wonder what backend it is using that requires IE compatibility mode.
Probably just haven’t stress-tested it with other browsers. Or that one guy who wrote the incomprehensible style sheets left.

Tempting to say you couldn't make it up.

But someone has

And we (well, some of "us") elected them as our government.

Sunlit uplands here we come- just over the horizon, or is that over the rainbow :unsure:

Probably just haven’t stress-tested it with other browsers. Or that one guy who wrote the incomprehensible style sheets left.
Where I work we've had literally years of fun because the person who wrote the incomprehensible style sheet was made redundant, despite being actually a very useful and good guy. It would have saved so much if they'd just asked him to tidy up his style sheets.

I saw that. Thought I should get some popcorn in.

[Edit} How long before someone comes along and claims it can't be true because it's the Guardian, though?

Don't panic, I found it in the DM too.

All bases covered 😂

How long before someone comes along and claims it can't be true because it's the Guardian, though?
Hopefully not long. I’ve got a seven month old post about the realities of trade deals and movement of people / VISA quotas that I need labelling as hindsight. We all knew what we were voting for anyway. Nothing says higher wages, improved living standards and more employment opportunities for British people quite like mass deregulation, the decimation of workers’ rights and increasing numbers of immigrants from the poorest parts of the world.

Australians under 35 will be able to move here more easily, because as many people have been saying for years, you don’t get trade deals without concessions on things like movement of people and VISAs.

It’s all good and well while it’s those jolly Aussies who are coming over more often, but wait until we start doing deals with non-English speaking countries filled with… gosh, I can’t even say it… people of colour.

You would be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) at how how many companies and government institutions still run systems on outdated tech - remember the spreadsheet scandal at the start of the pandemic?

I only stopped using Windows 2000 when I had little option but to upgrade to Office 2013 (from Office 2000 naturally). W10 was quite a shock to the system and I still mourn the loss of functionality which W2000 had.

I've still got an old laptop running Windows 3.1, it's sort of "quaint" to boot it up occasionally.....

It omits to mention the spending more on the NHS in future is coming from direct tax rises that have zero to do with Brexit. Delivering free ports has nothing to do with Brexit, they exist in the EU too. "Developing our distinctive, pro-innovation approach to artificial intelligence regulation" - so they haven't actually done anything. "Making Export Health Certificates digital to avoid unnecessary paperwork for businesses and speed up processes at the border." - forgetting to mention that the system relies on an obsolete web browser, and frequently doesn't work. "Protecting consumers in the Covid pandemic. We have allowed consumers to make more of their purchases contact-free, by raising the contactless limit to £100, which could not have been done in the EU." - strange how contactless limits have increased in Europe too then.... "Delivering modern digital services for drivers that match the public’s expectations. We will introduce digital driving licences, test certificates and MOT testing, doing away with paper test certificates and bringing MOTs into the modern age in a way that is greener and more efficient." - zero to do with Brexit.
No doubt someone will do a comprehensive response, but first looks don't look the most accurate.

It omits to mention the spending more on the NHS in future is coming from direct tax rises that have zero to do with Brexit. Delivering free ports has nothing to do with Brexit, they exist in the EU too. "Developing our distinctive, pro-innovation approach to artificial intelligence regulation" - so they haven't actually done anything. "Making Export Health Certificates digital to avoid unnecessary paperwork for businesses and speed up processes at the border." - forgetting to mention that the system relies on an obsolete web browser, and frequently doesn't work. "Protecting consumers in the Covid pandemic. We have allowed consumers to make more of their purchases contact-free, by raising the contactless limit to £100, which could not have been done in the EU." - strange how contactless limits have increased in Europe too then.... "Delivering modern digital services for drivers that match the public’s expectations. We will introduce digital driving licences, test certificates and MOT testing, doing away with paper test certificates and bringing MOTs into the modern age in a way that is greener and more efficient." - zero to do with Brexit.
No doubt someone will do a comprehensive response, but first looks don't look the most accurate.

I was rather upset when the gas guzzler passed its MOT last year and no bit of paper..... :(

Still if that's a Brexit bonus then so be it....

I was rather upset when the gas guzzler passed its MOT last year and no bit of paper..... :(

Still if that's a Brexit bonus then so be it....
to quote the MOT Testing Industry body:
"Britain is also well behind other countries in Europe when it comes to using automated equipment and modern electronic technology. A partially computerised system has already been installed into all Testing Stations in Britain, but in terms of fully utilising the most modern equipment coupled with modern computer technology this will fall well short of systems which have been in use for some time in many other EU States, even the Republic of Ireland."
Strange nowhere else in EU was blocked, only us apparently...

Wasn`t sure which thread to pop this in....... so here is as good as any.
Long way to go but movement in the right direction...

1644579233262.png

Wasn`t sure which thread to pop this in....... so here is as good as any.
Long way to go but movement in the right direction...

View attachment 8144
is there a graph that shows the rate that prices for energy, fuel, food and similar essentials are rising in the UK currently, in comparison to EU ( and other ) countries?

asking for a friend

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom