National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

I would have been just as critical. I happen to think that Corbyn would have been pretty useless (although of course I don't know for certain) but that doesn' t give anyone a free pass.
I know mistakes have been made and Boris has said as much. This was something new something that hasn’t been experienced here in the U.K. let alone the world, and I’m not 100% sure but there hasn’t been a pandemic in almost a century ( I maybe wrong there ). What the chancellor has done is unprecedented but he wants to help as much as he can. Unfortunately businesses will go to the wall and there will be some large scale redundancies by tyis wil also be global like the virus. What we need to do now is look at everything that went wrong what can be done to make sure there is no repeat and if there was a repeat lessons learned from this pandemic can be carried over so mistakes aren’t repeated.
It doesn’t matter who would have been in power wirh a pandemic like we have now, there would be mistakes and unfortunately there would recriminations.
It’s the world we live in.

I know mistakes have been made and Boris has said as much. This was something new something that hasn’t been experienced here in the U.K. let alone the world, and I’m not 100% sure but there hasn’t been a pandemic in almost a century ( I maybe wrong there ). What the chancellor has done is unprecedented but he wants to help as much as he can. Unfortunately businesses will go to the wall and there will be some large scale redundancies by tyis wil also be global like the virus. What we need to do now is look at everything that went wrong what can be done to make sure there is no repeat and if there was a repeat lessons learned from this pandemic can be carried over so mistakes aren’t repeated.
It doesn’t matter who would have been in power wirh a pandemic like we have now, there would be mistakes and unfortunately there would recriminations.
It’s the world we live in.
Yes, but it is not the fact that they made some mistakes. As you say, that was pretty unavoidable. It's that they acted too slowly - in many cases because they were reluctant to be seen to be changing their minds - and had the example of much of the rest of Europe to learn from BEFORE it really took hold here. The initial lockdown (when it finally came) was quite effective and would have been much more so two weeks earlier. The messaging initially was clear and effective, and the chancellor's financial measures were decisive and essential. So I am not saying that everything they've done has been bad - that would be daft. However since those initial messages and the initial lockdown, things have become more muddled, more chaotic, more about the avoidance of blame (a nasty 'scientist' told me to do it than ran away) than learning from lessons. We've had the track and trace fiasco (world beating? my a**e, it doesn't even exist), Johnson trying to tell Starmer that questioning the government's approach to anything is unpatriotic (Putin, where are you!), the mixed messages, the rewriting of history ('herd immunity was never our policy', 'we put a caring shield around care homes' etc right out of the Trump playbook).

So excuse me if I don't just shrug and say 'Oh well, everyone makes mistakes' - and I don't want to let this lot get away with the way they have gone about managing this. The death toll tells it's own sad and final story.

There are to many that are twats to their work force, the problem isn’t the governments if a company sets up its buisness in this country then after a while it’s cheaper in another country or they toodle pip, there is nothing the government can do. And no government can keep giving tax incentives to stay in the country its bad enough now with the tax breaks that are given to companies which could be use for more better.
Never heard of import taxes?

Never heard of import taxes?
Yes o have go back to the miners strike and who it happened. Coal was cheaper to import here rather than buy coal from here. Hence why the pits were shut, also maybe Maggie was doing something to help the climate change and be the first to do so. ?

Yes o have go back to the miners strike and who it happened. Coal was cheaper to import here rather than buy coal from here. Hence why the pits were shut, also maybe Maggie was doing something to help the climate change and be the first to do so. ?
She certainly was 'doing something to help climate change' with all those additional 'coal miles'!

If only our coal was as cheap as the imported coal even paying import duties then we may have still had coal up until recently

E4740E33-CFF7-4C07-ADEF-2B11E2DBC4AB.jpeg
Closures started immediately after WW2.
So Labour under Wilson closed 246 pits in 12 years.
The Conservatives under Thatcher closed 115 pits in 11 years

View attachment 4139
Closures started immediately after WW2.
So Labour under Wilson closed 246 pits in 12 years.
The Conservatives under Thatcher closed 115 pits in 11 years
plumbing the depths for those stats ;)

IMO the Thatcher government closed down ALL the (remaining) UK mines as retribution for the early 70s 3 day week , rolling blackouts etc, and the bringing down of the Heath Tory government, attributed to stricking miners during Heath's time as PM

Now that we’ve won Covid I guess we might as well fire this one up again for more healthy debate as we take back control with our “oven ready deal”.

Appears according to Frost and Barnier that things aren’t going so well... just game playing from both sides before a last minute deal or are we about to walk off into the sunset and hope the 164 members of the WTO agree we can trade on those rules from 01/01/2021?

Out of interest, for those for Brexit... with the national debt revealed today, recession, lack of (public) progress on trade deals with anyone and Covid would you be for an extension?

The informed talk has always been that there will be a big bust up and a walk away in the summer as that tends to happen with EU negotiations. Both sides will take their time apart, come together and find a deal as the clock ticks.

So far, the informed talk is looking correct.

Back
Top Bottom