National News The Brexit Thread πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ί

I don't think that's a consequence of Brexit. I used to do some work for a white goods supplier and those new energy classifications were being used before we left. It is because some appliances are now far more energy efficient than the old A rating - but you can't just change the energy usage for each band as that would mean a NOS (new old stock) appliance with a B rating sticker (for example) would have a different energy consumption than a new appliance with the same sticker. So new low energy bands were created.

While I consider Brexit to be a maximum omnishambles in almost every way, this isn't anything to do with it.

Is that genuine? Wow.

And why rename the categories to include A**, A*, and A? The previous A-G was a much better system.
I believe the back story is the EU has changed its scale to make it more taxing thereby giving scope for improvement. So the question is, will we follow suit (or why haven't we)?

I don't think that's a consequence of Brexit. I used to do some work for a white goods supplier and those new energy classifications were being used before we left. It is because some appliances are now far more energy efficient than the old A rating - but you can't just change the energy usage for each band as that would mean a NOS (new old stock) appliance with a B rating sticker (for example) would have a different energy consumption than a new appliance with the same sticker. So new low energy bands were created.
Thanks for that explanation, appreciated.

While I consider Brexit to be a maximum omnishambles in almost every way, this isn't anything to do with it.
This isn't the time or the place for reasonable explanations.

Is that genuine? Wow.

And why rename the categories to include A**, A*, and A? The previous A-G was a much better system.
It's a bit like Nigel Tufnell's amp.

But yeah, what ZTH said is the reality. Stuff has got more efficient and the knock on to existing stuff.

Last edited:
elieve the back story is the EU has changed its scale to make it more taxing thereby giving scope for improvement. So the question is, will we follow suit (or why haven't we)?

We have plans I believe, they haven't been implemented yet.

Thank goodness the farmers knew what they were voting for eh!

Even more reason to buy locally produced products because, if the demand isn`t there, neither is the supply. πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

Look at the label, choose wisely, eat seasonally.

Quite agree....cut down those food miles

Just a shame there's nobody to pick it πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

No shortages around these parts........ πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

Just over the border in Lincs one major supplier was offering up to Β£240 a day for pickers.
The outcome of that.....................
"Many thanks for the overwhelming interest in our Field jobs, we have been inundated by the number of applicants for our advertised field harvesting jobs and we will NOT be taking any more applications.
Thanks for all applications received so far however due to the immense interest unfortunately it is impossible to reply to every applicant."

Just over the border in Lincs one major supplier was offering up to Β£240 a day for pickers.
"Many thanks for the overwhelming interest in our Field jobs, we have been inundated by the number of applicants for our advertised field harvesting jobs and we will NOT be taking any more applications.
Thanks for all applications received so far however due to the immense interest unfortunately it is impossible to reply to every applicant."
Not sure the equivalent of Β£60k/year is sustainable for business though.

Not sure the equivalent of Β£60k/year is sustainable for business though.

It's not all year working on picking.
And it is piece work so folk have to graft to hit the targets, the producer adds pennies to the product and the volume does the rest...... and the consumer picks up the cost by a few pence...

https://committees.parliament.uk/oralevidence/3206/pdf/

Thought-provoking stuff (if you have the inclination to read all 48 pages of it).

Yet another example of a Government Minister simply refusing to listen to the evidence and trying to make out everything is rosie.

Still, some will fall for it if they say it enough, I guess!

It's really good we are not relying on cheap immigrant labour to any longer an at last farmers are going to have to pay a decent wage. Jobs that need topping up with working tax credits shouldn't exist. This surely is one of the success stories of Brexit (i was happy to be part of a trading block it was the free movement of immigrant labor that drives down wages which concerned me).

It's really good we are not relying on cheap immigrant labour to any longer an at last farmers are going to have to pay a decent wage. Jobs that need topping up with working tax credits shouldn't exist. This surely is one of the success stories of Brexit (i was happy to be part of a trading block it was the free movement of immigrant labor that drives down wages which concerned me).
Yes, I'd be happy if that's how things turned out more broadly in this country, but have a read of @RyanioBirdio's long piece a couple of pages back, it sums up my concerns about the sort of people who were driving Brexit.

But it’s only a success if the farmers are able to employ all of the workforce they require.
In spite of higher wages, this is not currently the case and will not be for years, if at all.

But it will drive up locally farmed food prices which will increase, for many, the reliance on imports and processed foods.

Is that all good?

What's the solution?

Back
Top Bottom