National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

We only got labour from Poland?

Yes, the Tories have had years to sort it out but have done b****r all even though it was clear this was happening from long before it happened.
True to form, really.

They sit on there fat and handsomely superannuated ar$es doing screw-all but throwing in squirrels and diversions at every opportunity...and trying to lay the blame on everyone else.

0/10

• React
Reactions: QR

The looks on their faces at 38 seconds is a rarity. That’s genuine fear - even the troll can’t pretend she’s tough in this moment. Sunak nervously touches his face and looks down. Rees-Mogg merely looks forward and carries on dreaming about a world where cars are replaced by horse and carriage.

Have a gorgeous weekend xoxo
Great tweet Charlie Biscuits .

We only got labour from Poland?

Yes, the Tories have had years to sort it out but have done b****r all even though it was clear this was happening from long before it happened.
I’ve never voted Tory in my life, nor would I, but they’re hardly responsible for every private enterprise’s mitigation strategies for disruption.

I’ve never voted Tory in my life, nor would I, but they’re hardly responsible for every private enterprise’s mitigation strategies for disruption.
Read more widely. European lorry drivers are activity avoiding the uk due to customs checks and the hostile environment. Last time I was at the Kassam I'm sure 99.9%of those there think the pandemic is over.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Read more widely. European lorry drivers are activity avoiding the uk due to customs checks and the hostile environment. Last time I was at the Kassam I'm sure 99.9%of those there think the pandemic is over.
Yes, I’m aware of the demand for lorry drivers: a most favourable situation for the job market and those long suffering skilled drivers who want to earn more than £12 a hour. I’m not sure, however, what that has got to do with this particular article about one farmer’s supply chain mismanagement.

Or have I not read into it widely enough?

No, they're not, but had they not delivered an absolutely wretched Brexit deal in the name of getting "it" done, one that even they can't stick to, it might've made life easier for said businesses to mitigate in the first place.

Yes - sort of. It is a very, very, very long story.

Lord Kelvin started the first popular campaign for the adoption of metric measures, slightly before the EU, etc in 1904 (that is no typo!)

More here: https://ukma.org.uk/what-is-metric/uk-progress/uk-metric-timeline/

I guess I`m fortunate as I was educated in both and find it easy to use either and convert in my head. 🤷‍♀️

From a science and standardisation point of view I would say stick with it.

Yes, I’m aware of the demand for lorry drivers: a most favourable situation for the job market and those long suffering skilled drivers who want to earn more than £12 a hour. I’m not sure, however, what that has got to do with this particular article about one farmer’s supply chain mismanagement.

Or have I not read into it widely enough?
Do you think it's only one farmer?

It's more than just Brexit (covid, pay, working conditions) but Brexit makes it worse for the UK.

Do you think it's only one farmer?

It's more than just Brexit (covid, pay, working conditions) but Brexit makes it worse for the UK.
I don’t know, and I doubt the NFU would either. One swallow doesn’t make a summer and all that.

Can you list 5 ways in which you are personally worse off since Brexit?

No, they're not, but had they not delivered an absolutely wretched Brexit deal in the name of getting "it" done, one that even they can't stick to, it might've made life easier for said businesses to mitigate in the first place.
I’m not saying the “deal” was good, but any business taking a status quo approach after 5 years of uncertainty only has itself to blame when things go south when they inevitably do change.

And as for relying on the government for guidance? What about the last 60 years of cabinet behaviour prompts you to believe that’s a shrewd course of action, no matter your political leanings?

They are if they cut off the skilled labour* through immigration rules required where there is no replacements to do the same job. Rather than going cold Turkey and saying train the indigenous population in an unrealistic timeframe (ie. training a HGV driver), try tapering the reduction over a few years so businesses have time to train replacements.

I could say businesses have no control over Govt decisions/law+ so the Govt actually have more control the other way.

* There is a skill In picking fruit/veg.
+ I'm excluding Tory donors and mates/neighbours of Tory Ministers.

I’m not saying the “deal” was good, but any business taking a status quo approach after 5 years of uncertainty only has itself to blame when things go south when they inevitably do change.

And as for relying on the government for guidance? What about the last 60 years of cabinet behaviour prompts you to believe that’s a shrewd course of action, no matter your political leanings?

I`m liking this poster!

No its not another me! :)

They are if they cut off the skilled labour* through immigration rules required where there is no replacements to do the same job. Rather than going cold Turkey and saying train the indigenous population in an unrealistic timeframe (ie. training a HGV driver), try tapering the reduction over a few years so businesses have time to train replacements.

I could say businesses have no control over Govt decisions/law+ so the Govt actually have more control the other way.

* There is a skill In picking fruit/veg.
+ I'm excluding Tory donors and mates/neighbours of Tory Ministers.
I’m all for being respectful of a paid position in life no matter how humble, but to say fruit picking is skilled?

Lots of ifs in that post too. Britain’s legitimate immigration policy towards welcoming skilled Labour has been entirely unaffected by Brexit.

It’s more probably that travel restrictions imposed by native governments due to Covid have created a foreseeable shortage over the past 18 months. Combine that with an assumption that perhaps some unscrupulous farmers would rather let fruit rot and claim the numerous grants than pay seasonal workers over £10 an hour, and we get closer to the real issue. Which is completely unrelated to Brexit.

Last edited:
I don’t know, and I doubt the NFU would either. One swallow doesn’t make a summer and all that.

Can you list 5 ways in which you are personally worse off since Brexit?
Why five?

Brexit has created or made these situations worse

1. My and my family's freedom of movement across the EU had been removed. My children will find it far harder to study in the EU (as one of them wants to).

2. The cat's not happy (you'll need to refer to previous posts but this relates to the totally unnecessary shortage in shops).

3. My garden waste bin hasn't been emptied for five weeks. (this maybe a minor inconvenience but an unnecessary inconvenience none the less).

4. A close relation lives in NI and she says life is really 'uncomfortable' now.

5. The additional Inflation due to Brexit. (note I'm not laying inflation in its entirety at the door of Brexit).

Edit: and I haven't been abroad yet so I can't comment of others negative experiences.

Edit 2: it's not about me it's about how it's affects everyone.

Last edited:
  • React

And equally it is a bit difficult to know exactly how much of a contingency plan you're going to need and how much time a resource you put into it, when the government themselves haven't got a scooby about what might realistically happen....largely because they are so caught up in doctrine and dogma as opposed to practical governance.

They didn't have a clue what Brexit meant, nobody did....and still don't. I doubt they can be honest with themselsves, or us about the true impacts....it does not compute!

The government (the "party of business", as they like to remind us constantly) who took us into to this, "hoped" it wouldn't be too bad, "persuaded" some we would strike the easiest trade deals in history, told us that at risk industries such as farming and fishing would be fine/manageable and would probably flourish after few bumps in the road.

So I think I can forgive business for not knowing what the actual f**k they were supposed to do when it came to contingency. I mean, lets face it, had they made contingency plans for where we currently are, I have absolutely no doubt they would've been called out as doom mongers and project fear peddlers....probably by the ministers of the very government that has put them in this predicament.

• React
Reactions: QR
Why five?

Brexit has created or made these situations worse

1. My and my family's freedom of movement across the EU had been removed. My children will find it far harder to study in the EU (as one of them wants to).

2. The cat's not happy (you'll need to refer to previous posts but this relates to the totally unnecessary shortage in shops).

3. My garden waste bin hasn't been emptied for five weeks. (this maybe a minor inconvenience but an unnecessary inconvenience none the less).

4. A close relation lives in NI and she says life is really 'uncomfortable' now.

5. The additional Inflation due to Brexit. (note I'm not laying inflation in its entirety at the door of Brexit).
I’m in NI now as it happens, fly to Belfast regularly for work. Everything is fine day to day wise, but I agree it’s not ideal that the EU is trying to use the political situation as leverage. My bin hasn’t been emptied either, and although VOWH council lazily included Brexit as an east excuse, it’s clearly more a management issue, plus the fact a lot of workers are getting pinged: that’s a Covid issue, not Brexit.

As for your concerns over your children’s futures? I find that a little dramatic. No member state has yet to overtly disobey the treaty and refuse entry to EU citizens and joint educational initiatives remain unaffected.

Even if educational applications are more stringent in future, if your child should be able to make it on merit, assuming they get the grades. Which is how it should be.

The rest is all very middle class and went over my head.

I’m all for being respectful of a paid position in life no matter how humble, but to say fruit picking is skilled?

Lots of ifs in that post too. Britain’s legitimate immigration policy towards welcoming skilled Labour has been entirely unaffected by Brexit.

It’s more probably that travel restrictions imposed by native governments due to Covid have created a foreseeable shortage over the past 18 months. Combine that with an assumption that perhaps some unscrupulous farmers would rather let fruit rot and claim the numerous grants than pay seasonal workers over £10 an hour, and we get closer to the real issue. Which is completely unrelated to Brexit.

Yes, there is skill in picking fruit hence why some people can't do it or pick it up very slowly.

And on skilled labour, hence why I talked about tapering the reduction over a few years allowing training etc to kick in. HGV driving is skilled, after you need to pass test/s to do it yet isn't included in as a skilled job for immigration purposes. Immigration and the current policy is very much to do with Brexit and the dogma that follows it. Did you see the Leave campaign focus on it from very early on?

Ah, the strawman of some unscrupulous farmers. What grants do they get from destroying their own crops and recouping the additional cost of getting rid of the food waste, even if bulldozing back into the soil as fertilizer?

What benefits do Transport companies get from not being able to provide a full service?

I’m in NI now as it happens, fly to Belfast regularly for work.
I'm very happy for you and hope you are enjoying the stout.
EU is trying to use the political situation as leverage.
Er, the over ready deal you mean.
VOWH council lazily
Not sure how Vale of White Horse can been lazy when Biffa collect your bins. 🤔🤔🤔🤔
As for your concerns over your children’s futures? I find that a little dramatic.
Because they're not your children?

• React
Back
Top Bottom