National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

Of course, there is always the unknown, and that applies inside the Club or out on the Patio having a toke.

Will the UK be back in the EU? Unlikely in my life time so I`m not overly concerned.

It took us 40 years to detach from the evolving beast and the political landscape won`t allow that to change for a long while yet.

Interesting to note that hospitality is now bemoaning the lack of available (cheap!!) labour "coz of Brexit".............. maybe they`ll need to start paying decent wages and we will need to pay a sensible price for a meal out or a hotel room?
……and one of the loudest voices is an ardent Brexiteer, Tim Bighair from ‘Spoons.

Really? Or has what he said been twisted to suit the reporter's agenda?

Two sides to everything...
tenor.gif

Worse deal or deal on our terms? All a matter of perspective.....................
Well yes, Brexit was going to mean the deals are on our terms, our terms just chose to make things worse, to quote the FT

“But if you are comparing the new trade deal to the pre-Brexit relationship, with both the UK and the EEA members in the single market, then the new deal doesn’t come close to offering the same levels of economic access and benefits.”

Well yes, Brexit was going to mean the deals are on our terms, our terms just chose to make things worse, to quote the FT

“But if you are comparing the new trade deal to the pre-Brexit relationship, with both the UK and the EEA members in the single market, then the new deal doesn’t come close to offering the same levels of economic access and benefits.”
Wouldn't it be nice if an avid Leaver - and I fully accept that many still favour our exit for a myriad of reasons - would just agree that as things stand leaving is no guarantee of a better future for the UK outside the EU.

I'm still hearing echoes that 'all Leavers are thick' and 'all Remainers are just bitter losers'. Surely time we stepped away from the playground and grew up a bit?

EY, you are missing a trick, a career as a Tory spin-doctor awaits. You could be the UK’s Kellyanne Conway and purveyor of ‘alternative’ facts.

Jobs gone already. ;)

G7 should be interesting.................

Jobs gone already. ;)

G7 should be interesting.................
Technically the "new" trade deals are mostly just temporary (ie have short expiry dates) rollover deals to cover the immediate period until new deals can be done. Also, not really any with our main trading partners.

Technically the "new" trade deals are mostly just temporary (ie have short expiry dates) rollover deals to cover the immediate period until new deals can be done. Also, not really any with our main trading partners.

40 years of engagement with the EU will take time to untangle I think most rational people accept that.

Same as at work if you need a short-term fix chuck in an MoU then sort out the contract.

The key aspect is we are free to trade with whom we chose and don`t need to drag along 20+ other countries who will all have a differing view depending on what is "good" for them.

40 years of engagement with the EU will take time to untangle I think most rational people accept that.

Same as at work if you need a short-term fix chuck in an MoU then sort out the contract.

The key aspect is we are free to trade with whom we chose and don`t need to drag along 20+ other countries who will all have a differing view depending on what is "good" for them.
but surely the EU was this undemocratic monolith and would just do it themselves, why in an organisation so undemocratic would they worry about 20+ countries opinions?

but surely the EU was this undemocratic monolith and would just do it themselves, why in an organisation so undemocratic would they worry about 20+ countries opinions?

That is the problem, so much time, effort, and money is spent on finding the "one size fits all" solution.

The next budget they set maybe interesting as the EU start to create "taxation" to plug the Brexit gap.

"Although the commission and European Parliament have traditionally lobbied for the creation of pan-EU taxes, member states have historically resisted attempts to divert revenues from their national coffers to Brussels. But the debate over the so-called “own resources” has shifted as the current round of budget negotiations has proved to be particularly bruising due to the €15bn hole left by the departure of the UK. Five “frugal” governments — Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark and Austria — have said they want a budget not larger than 1 per cent of the gross national income, falling far short of Brussels’ proposal of 1.1 per cent and the 1.3 per cent the European Parliament wants."

Source: https://www.ft.com/content/ but it`s paywalled so you`ll have to trust me! lol

All those leavers saving how good it will be to trade on WTO terms. Let's leave the WTO! Er, no, wait, that won't work.

I for one am stunned that we don’t appear to have any idea what we’re doing, or have any ability to check even the most basic of details, given our record of strong negotiating skills in recent years.

I for one am stunned that we don’t appear to have any idea what we’re doing, or have any ability to check even the most basic of details, given our record of strong negotiating skills in recent years.

They'll just ignore it as it is breaking the rules just a small bit.

Don’t be mean. They’re doing a good job. It’s not their fault. Or something.

Don’t be mean. They’re doing a good job. It’s not their fault. Or something.
Anyway...we've got a good deal with Australia, so all hail our prowess in bringing that one in.

What's that you say???.....decimate the UK sheep farming industry??.....wool industry already in in dire trouble??.......massive increase in carbon footprint and food miles??

Erm.....we (have told the PM to) think Ollie Robinson has been treat harshly and that fans have a right to boo knee-takers....will that do....are we popular again??

Anyway...we've got a good deal with Australia, so all hail our prowess in bringing that one in.

What's that you say???.....decimate the UK sheep farming industry??.....wool industry already in in dire trouble??.......massive increase in carbon footprint and food miles??

Erm.....we (have told the PM to) think Ollie Robinson has been treat harshly and that fans have a right to boo knee-takers....will that do....are we popular again??

UK Lamb Prices have only just eased from record highs.

Wool/Fleece has been on its a**e for years unless it is specific breeds. We should be using it for insulation etc but that might upset the vegans.

If the consumer (you and me!) doesn't buy cheap imported :poop: then importing it becomes uneconomical.

Go back to eating local, seasonal food and not avocados, coconut milk, soy latte and other stuff that is causing deforestation and trashing the planet.

As you were. :)

UK Lamb Prices have only just eased from record highs.

Wool/Fleece has been on its a**e for years unless it is specific breeds. We should be using it for insulation etc but that might upset the vegans.

If the consumer (you and me!) doesn't buy cheap imported :poop: then importing it becomes uneconomical.

Go back to eating local, seasonal food and not avocados, coconut milk, soy latte and other stuff that is causing deforestation and trashing the planet.

As you were. :)
It's a nice principal EY, but people won't stop buying cheap s**t and I agree totally with the thought of buying local, seasonal products, but that not's going to happen either. So instead of shipping from our near neighbours in the same volumes (and lower carbon footprint), we are going to be shipping produce half-way around the world. This seems to be particularly apply to wine, where the Aussies are hoping to fill the trade gap caused by Chinese tariffs.

You can't have it both ways.

Back
Top Bottom