National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

Is there any evidence that Spain is being any harder on UK immigrates that it is on any other third county immigrates?
There is a difference
Many many UK people have 'emigrated ' to Spain. They were already there.
It sounds as if some of the border control was more officious than was legally necessary.
My point is that the Spanish economy relies a lot on the UK tourists and people who have moved there
Your comment about other third country immigrants , whist being correct legally, is madness economically. The Spanish economy is in a really poor state. Alienating the British really is daft from an economic perspective. Some in the EU have your attitude. Which is fine, but will make the Spanish economy suffer even more. It is in my view not at all pragmatic. But maybe that says an awful lot about the EU?

If we were still in the EU how many people do you think would have been vaccinated against covid in the UK? How many more would have died?
I agree your probably right. But that was just shear good luck on the government’s part.
They had to take the nationalist approach and back the partly home grown vaccine regardless.
Thank god it turned out to be one of the winners!!
Let’s hope we don’t have to be so reckless next time.

There is a difference
It sounds as if some of the border control was more officious than was legally necessary.
My point is that the Spanish economy relies a lot on the UK tourists and people who have moved there
Your comment about other third country immigrants , whist being correct legally, is madness economically. The Spanish economy is in a really poor state. Alienating the British really is daft from an economic perspective. Some in the EU have your attitude. Which is fine, but will make the Spanish economy suffer even more. It is in my view not at all pragmatic. But maybe that says an awful lot about the EU?
They are not alienating UK citizens because they want to, they are doing it because we have told them we don't want the freedom of movement we had before.

There is a difference
The Single market has to follow its own rules to function properly.
It’s this misguided believe that the rules can be bent to suit that has gotten us into this mess.

There is a difference
They are not alienating UK citizens because they want to, they are doing it because we have told them we don't want the freedom of movement we had before.
Remember this?

20210405_135108.jpg

That is not what I have read.
We are not throwing out Europeans who made their homes here. Rightly.
It appears that UK people living in Spain have been told to have particular paperwork and then when they turned up withsuch paperwork have been turned away
We don't want freedom of movement. I believe that many European countries think the same and think that the extent of freedom of movement in retrospect was not sensible

The Single market has to follow its own rules to function properly.
It’s this misguided believe that the rules can be bent to suit that has gotten us into this mess.
They are not following their own rules . That is the issue.
And nothing is that black and white.
Pragmatism surely has to have some vague possibility?
Cutting their nose off to spite their face comes to mind.
Greece seem to be having a totally different view to Spain. Both are part of the EU.
It is tough times for all economies if you are suggesting that the Spanish should slavishly make it difficult for those who have invested hugely in the Spanish economy to go back making the Spanish economy even weaker, then tell the people who suffer due to this that the EU is better for it

That is not what I have read.
We are not throwing out Europeans who made their homes here. Rightly.
It appears that UK people living in Spain have been told to have particular paperwork and then when they turned up withsuch paperwork have been turned away
We don't want freedom of movement. I believe that many European countries think the same and think that the extent of freedom of movement in retrospect was not sensible
I'd be interested to read that. All I've read is that many thousands have completed the paperwork and have been granted settled status but that some can't afford the necessary health insurance (because they no longer get free heath care - the UK's decision not the EU's) and so don't qualify. There also seem to be a number of UK citizens living 'under the radar' and not paying tax in Spain who are being caught out.

Goodness.
We are where are now.
I am actually concerned for the Spanish and Greek economies.
Post pandemic they really need support. This is not helping in my view

Spain forecast to grow +6% in 2021, Greece +3,5%. UK at +4%.

Sweet that you care, mind.

Spain forecast to grow +6% in 2021, Greece +3,5%. UK at +4%.

Sweet that you care, mind.
You missed the slightly important bit.....

"These projections are subject to significant uncertainty and elevated risks, predominately linked to the evolution of the pandemic and the success of vaccination campaigns."

Source.

You missed the slightly important bit.....

"These projections are subject to significant uncertainty and elevated risks, predominately linked to the evolution of the pandemic and the success of vaccination campaigns."

Source.

Indeed, same caveats will apply to all current economic forecasts.

I just don't see the Spanish and Greek economic recoveries being that behind the UK's own economy, as alluded to by Foley.

In fact, given that opening boarders will increase the risk of Covid transmission, isn't there a bigger risk to the Spanish & Greek economies if they were to allow swarms of British tourists in?

I`m sure we covered this somewhere on here............

Ursula said "I am the first woman to be President of the European Commission. I am the President of the European Commission. And this is how I expected to be treated when visiting Turkey two weeks ago, like a Commission President, but I was not...."

News for Ursula, not all countries are equal for all.

I`m sure we covered this somewhere on here............

Ursula said "I am the first woman to be President of the European Commission. I am the President of the European Commission. And this is how I expected to be treated when visiting Turkey two weeks ago, like a Commission President, but I was not...."

News for Ursula, not all countries are equal for all.
So if the same thing happened to The Queen, you'd still think it a bit of a laugh?

Back
Top Bottom