National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

The same. Why?
Who knows, less may have died. And before anyone says that's a ridiculous assumption, it is no more or less ridiculous than someone saying our vaccine response, or PPE provision, or lock-downs would have been any different in or out of the EU. Nobody knows!

There are other countries in Europe but not part of the EU, who's vaccine programme has been pretty woeful to date too - just take a look at Switzerland. (And yes I have been there too if Essex is worried about my right to comment:)).

Shame we couldn't sort out our own borders over a year ago - wonder how may less might've died if we had:unsure:

• React
Reactions: QR
Remoaners coming out of the woodwork like that no-mark Sourbry....... pathetic fools

I note the water cannons were out in Belfast last night.

First time they have been used since?

2015- because it`s all about Brexit isn`t it?

Footnote:
If we were within the EU we would have been obliged to wait for the EMA to approve the vaccine`s rather than rolling out on the say so of the MHRA.
As we had removed that additional level of oversight we didn`t have to wait and could grant an emergency licence for use within the UK.
We gained between 4 - 10 weeks on the EU before you get into the contract discussions.
When you are vaccinating roughly 350k a day that is a huge advantage.

Further footnote:
As predicted the daily vaccine total has slowed in the last week, but by Monday we should reach "herd immunity" with a combination of vaccine, recovered from and natural immunity.

Footnote:
If we were within the EU we would have been obliged to wait for the EMA to approve the vaccine`s rather than rolling out on the say so of the MHRA.
As we had removed that additional level of oversight we didn`t have to wait and could grant an emergency licence for use within the UK.
We gained between 4 - 10 weeks on the EU before you get into the contract discussions.

Further footnote:
As predicted the daily vaccine total has slowed in the last week, but by Monday we should reach "herd immunity" with a combination of vaccine, recovered from and natural immunity.

It's nice that COVID is willing to agree to planned timelines.

Footnote:

Further footnote:

Actually no, we wouldn't have been obliged to wait for vaccine approval by the EMA at all. We could have proceeded under existing EU law without the EMA as confirmed by MHRA with approval for use through an emergency procedure for a country to use it in their own domestic market (as Hungary did for a Russian vaccine).

You are on a par with Jacob Rees-Mogg with this one:

Last edited:
Actually no, we wouldn't have been obliged to wait for vaccine approval by the EMA at all. We could have proceeded under existing EU law without the EMA as confirmed by MHRA with approval for use through an emergency procedure for a country to use it in their own domestic market (as Hungary did for a Russian vaccine).

You are on a par with Jacob Rees-Mogg with this one:

It was an emergency approval through the MHRA anyway, so either way it is semantics.
I`m sure the EU would have found a way to take retribution had we been "in".
Then there are the contractual "issues".

Best Regards

Jacob. :)

It was an emergency approval through the MHRA anyway, so either way it is semantics.
I`m sure the EU would have found a way to take retribution had we been "in".
Then there are the contractual "issues".

Best Regards

Jacob. :)

It isn't semantics, we didn't need to wait for EMA approval at all even if we were "in". There were no other issues as we could have gone alone on purchasing vaccinations as Hungary did. You were wrong. :)

• React
Reactions: QR
With regard to the vaccine does anybody seriously think that the EU have come out well on this?
Bureaucratic and slow to move? The centralisation of purchasing did not work from what I can see
I believe that a lot of politicians in EU countries are equally unimpressed.

If it`s random posts vaguely related to Brexit then "Have at you good sir".....
Is this meant to be a good news Brexit story? 😳

'a feeling that aspects of the new arrangements may not be as bad as feared.'

'Renewables service companies like Dulas do not have fresh produce or perishable goods to worry about'

'There are still some real worries however about the Irish border'

'However, the significance of the new arrangements has had some consequences, one of which was that Dulas re-registered an Irish legal business entity to help smooth out any problems'

Is this meant to be a good news Brexit story? 😳

'a feeling that aspects of the new arrangements may not be as bad as feared.'

'Renewables service companies like Dulas do not have fresh produce or perishable goods to worry about'

'There are still some real worries however about the Irish border'

'However, the significance of the new arrangements has had some consequences, one of which was that Dulas re-registered an Irish legal business entity to help smooth out any problems'
From a trading perspective, brexit has not been good for the EU or UK.
Having said that it appears to be less worse than a lot of people predicted (some ridiculous claims that the EU wouldn't let any UK aeroplanes land in the EU is one example - that was repeated on here I seem to remember)
I am not sure that we will know for sure for a few years how bad things have been.
The EU protectionism is fine (I can see why they are so protectionist) but it is negatively affecting the German and other EU countries economies as well as the UKs .
I am really not sure that Spain are right in being so hard on UK expats when their economy is in such a precarious state?

I am really not sure that Spain are right in being so hard on UK expats when their economy is in such a precarious state?
Is there any evidence that Spain is being any harder on UK immigrates that it is on any other third county immigrates?

Having said that it appears to be less worse than a lot of people predicted
But not the 'sunlit uplands' 'no down sides, only considerable upsides' it was sold as.

Back
Top Bottom