General Brannagan & Co to stay and take us to the championship?or not....

Sadly, the transfer "window" will be a buyers market with many clubs (and not just the lower leagues) needing to raise money in order to meet financial commitments - and let's remember that the vast majority of bills aren't being waived, just deferred, so even when some sort of cash-flow is restored, there may well be a season and a half's outgoings to be found in short order.

Add to this the fact that many players contracts will finish sometime before we get the next campaign underway and that many out of contract players will probably be looking to see who can offer the best deal in order to ameliorate their own situation and it's not too hard to see the richer clubs getting some talented players without have to throw wads of cash around in transfer fees.....

I don't see why he wouldn't sign the contract for some security in times like these. His value will rise, he has a contingency if next season goes wrong or if he's injured, and we have a proven track record of not standing in the way of our players when the time comes.

Why wouldn't he sign!?

I don't see why he wouldn't sign the contract for some security in times like these. His value will rise, he has a contingency if next season goes wrong or if he's injured, and we have a proven track record of not standing in the way of our players when the time comes.

Why wouldn't he sign!?

Possibly because if a club signs him on a free next summer, he could get paid a bit more wage. If I were at the club, I'd offer him a 2-year deal with slightly improved wages and a minimum fee release clause on it, reaffirming our commitment to sell him if the right offer comes in

Give Brannagan and Dickie a new contract. If those two players have the clubs interest at heart as well as there own goals. Then give the club protection in return, for giving you a platform to put yourself back in the shop window, and move back towards the top flight. So when the bids come rolling in we can demand more due to contractual lengths.

Give Brannagan and Dickie a new contract. If those two players have the clubs interest at heart as well as there own goals. Then give the club protection in return, for giving you a platform to put yourself back in the shop window, and move back towards the top flight. So when the bids come rolling in we can demand more due to contractual lengths.

Dickie did that last summer.

Possibly because if a club signs him on a free next summer, he could get paid a bit more wage. If I were at the club, I'd offer him a 2-year deal with slightly improved wages and a minimum fee release clause on it, reaffirming our commitment to sell him if the right offer comes in

The problem with minimum fee release clause is it needs to be slightly on the low side to get the player to sign the contract. Possibly in CB case this would be around £1.5M.
So if then he has a cracking first 3 months of next season, several clubs are after him, the club wants £3M (and the fans expect £4M!) the player's agent advises all the clubs they only need to offer £1.5M to get him. He goes for £1.5M instead of best market value.
The fans then blame the club for putting a stupid clause in the contract.

you need to start at 2 million as the minimum.

Come on Cam! Give us a damn good season as Captain Fantastic and get us up!

The ball is in CB's court.

We can offer him the moon on a stick and if he doesn't want to sign the new contract, it is his decision.

The ball is in CB's court.

We can offer him the moon on a stick and if he doesn't want to sign the new contract, it is his decision.
True but he does appear to really like this club and always gives 100%, I know that don’t mean a lot in the footballing world but he does appear to be genuine

It might all be mind games, but it looks like the club are in a decent financial position if they can risk losing £1m or so on Brannagan now to get a final season out of him.

However, I suspect that with do much uncertainty around and the potential wages caps, Cam will commit to another year or two with us knowing that we would still look to let him move on when the time and price are right.

From what I’ve been told we are looking for 1.5-2m.

I don’t think anyone will be willing to pay that and in reality, looking at Ledson/Lundstram, if we were to sell we would probably get closer to 750k-1m.

The question then becomes if we are happy to miss out on this fee for an additional year for CB...this might be more palatable with an auction of Dickie (which looks likely) covering any income we may not get from CB.

It might all be mind games, but it looks like the club are in a decent financial position if they can risk losing £1m or so on Brannagan now to get a final season out of him.

However, I suspect that with do much uncertainty around and the potential wages caps, Cam will commit to another year or two with us knowing that we would still look to let him move on when the time and price are right.
I could be wrong but the bulk of the article appears to be based on Robinson's views. We know he hasn't exactly been on the same hymn sheet as the chairman in the past. I would be amazed if the directors would rather he left for nothing next year, given developing and selling is part of the sustainable plan but, as you say, maybe financially we are OK.

Back
Top Bottom