Matches Boxing Day v Pompey in doubt - POSTPONED

At least Wimbledon are due to play on Sunday so we might have half a chance of getting Wednesday's game on. The shortening of the 10 day isolation period to 7 days announced today might help a little.

I'm sure there is a similar chart for the UK somehwere, but here's a CDC chart from the USA comparing flu deaths and covid deaths...

Screenshot 2021-12-22 at 10.50.27.png

Think it will get worse now, Boris is gambling with people all because of his backbenchers

Far from it, it's a pragmatic move.
Most people are most infectious when they are asymptomatic.
By the time you have symptoms its too late, by Day 7 you are unlikely to be shedding any viral load and, if you are, the LFT`s will pick it up and you do 10 days anyway.

what is a matter of concern with calling games off with 14 senior players or less 'fit' ..... is that it gives those with a few 'key' players out carrying injuries, the option of calling matches off due to a (claimed) covid outbreak taking their 'unavailable ' list to the point where a match can be postponed ( then played 'later' when said key players are fit) .... given the EFL's lack of application to their own FFP rules regarding wage bills genuinely meeting the prerequisite percentage of a clubs income, I have little if any faith in some EFL clubs adhering to EFL requirements currently regarding calling off games, and even less faith in EFL properly 'policing' whether clubs claiming x amount of positive cases are being genuinely honest..... as in where is the proof? .... or am I being overly cynical and suspicious?

what is a matter of concern with calling games off with 14 senior players or less 'fit' ..... is that it gives those with a few 'key' players out carrying injuries, the option of calling matches off due to a (claimed) covid outbreak taking their 'unavailable ' list to the point where a match can be postponed ( then played 'later' when said key players are fit) .... given the EFL's lack of application to their own FFP rules regarding wage bills genuinely meeting the prerequisite percentage of a clubs income, I have little if any faith in some EFL clubs adhering to EFL requirements currently regarding calling off games, and even less faith in EFL properly 'policing' whether clubs claiming x amount of positive cases are being genuinely honest..... as in where is the proof? .... or am I being overly cynical and suspicious?
At least it will be a peaceful Boxing Day, Sarge. No pacing up and down at 4.50pm.

At least it will be a peaceful Boxing Day, Sarge. No pacing up and down at 4.50pm.
probably will have already done plenty of that pacing up n down much earlier than 4.50pm on Boxing day..... its day 1 of the 3rd ashes test, ( technically day 2 starts at 11.30pm on boxing day/ night)

Spot on this Sarge in Pompey's case. Danny Cowley was ask by the local press down here about the availability and whether Boxing days game will go ahead. Danny Cowley answered by say that they had an unspecified number of positive cases, with some merely self isolating due to being close contacts. He also said that they have 4 regular 1st teamers out injured hence the didn't have enough players to play the game. Neither of their 2 senior keepers were affected.
Make of that what you will as in my opinion i think it is correct to call off the game but not for the excuses coming out of Frattan Park.

Spot on this Sarge in Pompey's case. Danny Cowley was ask by the local press down here about the availability and whether Boxing days game will go ahead. Danny Cowley answered by say that they had an unspecified number of positive cases, with some merely self isolating due to being close contacts. He also said that they have 4 regular 1st teamers out injured hence the didn't have enough players to play the game. Neither of their 2 senior keepers were affected.
Make of that what you will as in my opinion i think it is correct to call off the game but not for the excuses coming out of Frattan Park.
That’s what I said some games will be called off because of a few covid cases but leaving enough to field a team but with a couple of injuries leaving a club with the bare minimum, use self isolating as an excuse.

It is of course a gamble.

COVID won't always be an available as an excuse and you could end up with a backlog and even more of your better players not available.

But yeah, put a loophole in that some can exploit to their advantage, and some always will. (Not aimed at Pompey - I know nothing of their situation)

This postponement has come at just the right time. A chance to get Winnall ".fine tuned " for a critical Christmas period. Do not write him off just yet.

Think there is more chance of picking someone from this forum and sticking them upfront. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: *

*I`m out - prolapsed disc - sorry.

probably will have already done plenty of that pacing up n down much earlier than 4.50pm on Boxing day..... its day 1 of the 3rd ashes test, ( technically day 2 starts at 11.30pm on boxing day/ night)

The last time that we didn't play on Boxing Day, back in 2010, was also arguably our greatest ever day's cricket in Australia. Bowled the convicts out for 96, and were then 157/0 at the close. Basically retained the Ashes that day. Remember staying up till 5am on Christmas night watching.....then crawling out of bed, throwing some clothes on and being just ready to leave home when the ref called the Rushden game off because of a tiny icy patch in front of the South Stand.

Why do I get the feeling that England are not going to reproduce that score this weekend?

The last time that we didn't play on Boxing Day, back in 2010, was also arguably our greatest ever day's cricket in Australia. Bowled the convicts out for 96, and were then 157/0 at the close. Basically retained the Ashes that day. Remember staying up till 5am on Christmas night watching.....then crawling out of bed, throwing some clothes on and being just ready to leave home when the ref called the Rushden game off because of a tiny icy patch in front of the South Stand.

Why do I get the feeling that England are not going to reproduce that score this weekend?

I'd be amazed if England got to 157/0 in this series as it would require the openers to learn to bat at international level and the Aussie bowling attack to have an off day.

I see that the Oxford City's home Boxing Day clash versus Slough Town is still on. They are second in the table and should get a good crowd by their standards. I am thinking about watching this game. Does anyone know if season ticket holders still quality for a discount for City's home games?

Back
Top Bottom