Matches Boxing Day v Pompey in doubt - POSTPONED

I can understand that a fixture is called off, the issues with testing, vaccination, isolation etc. are insurmountable. However, given the logistics for away support, particularly at this time of the year, wouldn't it be sensible , not to mention reasonable, if a decision was made giving sufficient notice to all? We've already got tickets and paid for the coach, others will be taking the train (if there even are trains running!) more will be watching the amount they drink on Christmas day in order to be legal driving.
The regulations state game on with 14 players, including a goal keeper, fit. I would have thought that clubs should be able to state with some accuracy how many players they have and in what physical condition they find themselves.

I can understand that a fixture is called off, the issues with testing, vaccination, isolation etc. are insurmountable. However, given the logistics for away support, particularly at this time of the year, wouldn't it be sensible , not to mention reasonable, if a decision was made giving sufficient notice to all? We've already got tickets and paid for the coach, others will be taking the train (if there even are trains running!) more will be watching the amount they drink on Christmas day in order to be legal driving.
The regulations state game on with 14 players, including a goal keeper, fit. I would have thought that clubs should be able to state with some accuracy how many players they have and in what physical condition they find themselves.
Yes agree, people factor it in as part of their Christmas plans, which can be complicated.

….. and booked a B and B

Had my boxing day planned for me now since was waiting for news if it would be on, so I won't be going sadly.

And another. Baldock running Exeter ragged on his last appearance in an Oxford shirt............recalled by KR!!

no trains boxing day, except a few to the airport.... we'll be locked down from Boxing Day anyway

Was it Rushden and Diamonds called off at 1.30 pm with an anticipated 10000 attendance?
In my mind it was against Woking, Dad and I got to the ground at around 12:30 it was still on, so headed to the bowling alley. Heard it was called off so ordered another couple of pitchers - everything got a bit hazy after that, so may well have been against R&D...

Edit: Thinking about it, I'm maybe muddling it up the games, the Woking game didn't we get damn near 12K on Boxing Day, and have the game end in a 0-0 snorefest?

Do you think Clubs actually think supporters matter? Do you think they care about transport arrangements etc?
We are well down the list......... probably the last thing they consider.

Agreed.

Ive flown over from Texas with my yank daughter for her first away game for this one. Rental cars too expensive so we are hitching lifts and rides and building our travel itinerary around it.

Some early notice would be helpful. I can’t see the game going ahead though with a crowd

Last edited:
Even the Trough of Greed agrees with me................

13 players and a goalie, get on with it.
From that link...

There are however talks between clubs and authorities to scrap FA Cup replays in rounds three and four, and to reduce EFL Cup semi-final ties to one-leg matches.
They'll never come back if they do that, hopefully it'll be resisted.

So if either club knows right now that they're not going to have 14 players on Sunday who are fit and not in the Covid protocol, then absolutely they should call the game off today so that everyone can make alternate plans.

The problem is that Covid is spreading so rapidly at the moment, that it's tough to predict how many positive tests both sides will produce even this week.
When we went up to Wigan, I think we had a full squad even the day before - by the morning of the game, we had like 10 available players and no goalie.

So if either club knows right now that they're not going to have 14 players on Sunday who are fit and not in the Covid protocol, then absolutely they should call the game off today so that everyone can make alternate plans.

The problem is that Covid is spreading so rapidly at the moment, that it's tough to predict how many positive tests both sides will produce even this week.
When we went up to Wigan, I think we had a full squad even the day before - by the morning of the game, we had like 10 available players and no goalie.
That’s not true. I read on the Wigan message forum it was just our goalie that was out

Pompey game off tomorrow night. They haven’t enough players to fill a team due to covid and illness according to local radio. Even more likely Sunday will be off.

From that link...

They'll never come back if they do that, hopefully it'll be resisted.
Yes, I hope they don't, the lower league clubs that get a replay against one of big boys can eliminate thier losses for at least a season.

The premiershite clubs have been trying to do away with FACUP replays for many seasons now, maybe now they've finally found a way! Balls!!!! :(

Back
Top Bottom