Boris watch ....

Pete Burrett

Following the interest in several 'Trump watch' threads, and assuming Boris is our next PM, thought I'd get this one set up in readiness.

That Poll is as flawed as they come and was funded by Boris's employer so absolutely no bias there whatsoever.

This thread is worth a read:

That Poll is as flawed as they come and was funded by Boris's employer so absolutely no bias there whatsoever.
So a left wing professor who writes for the Guardian says it's flawed, no surprise there.
And the poll was conducted by ComRes, an independent polling organisation whose polls are used by many media outlets including BBC, ITV and Sky, not just the Telegraph.
Anyway, whether the poll is right or not isn't really the point, by posting it I was just trying to add some balance to this thread.
Like Boris or not - and I get that many people on here don't - he will connect with many voters in a way that Theresa May never did.

So a left wing professor who writes for the Guardian says it's flawed, no surprise there.
And the poll was conducted by ComRes, an independent polling organisation whose polls are used by many media outlets including BBC, ITV and Sky, not just the Telegraph.
Anyway, whether the poll is right or not isn't really the point, by posting it I was just trying to add some balance to this thread.
Like Boris or not - and I get that many people on here don't - he will connect with many voters in a way that Theresa May never did.

Actually he is one of many criticising it. And the poll was funded by Boris's employers, you don't think that will have a bearing on its independence? Especially as it was released conveniently just before he officially starts his leadership campaign?

And whether the poll is right or wrong and its accuracy is very important which was what was being pointed out in the link. It can set a fake picture for the rest of Boris's campaign and the perception of Boris with Tory members and MPs.

Actually he is one of many criticising it. And the poll was funded by Boris's employers, you don't think that will have a bearing on its independence? Especially as it was released conveniently just before he officially starts his leadership campaign?

And whether the poll is right or wrong and its accuracy is very important which was what was being pointed out in the link. It can set a fake picture for the rest of Boris's campaign and the perception of Boris with Tory members and MPs.
But the poll is irrelevant in terms of his leadership campaign, he already had enough MP's onboard before the poll was even published and is polling well over 50% amongst the Tory membership - he is gonna win by a landslide

But the poll is irrelevant in terms of his leadership campaign, he already had enough MP's onboard before the poll was even published and is polling well over 50% amongst the Tory membership - he is gonna win by a landslide

It isn't irrelevant, it shows his campaign tactics and it helps define the context of the campaign that all the others have to fight against. If it was so irrelevant why was it done?

I hate the term but it is a classic use of 'fake news' to set the agenda.

His strengths as Mayor was in trusting other people to "do the job" and using his flair as an advocate for London and as a recognisable figurehead.
A friend of mine, who is an MP, once said "He`s the only person you can recognise from behind" !

On Boris's watch neighbourhood crime fell dramatically and confidence in the Met police rose. Simply by putting bobbies before buildings, there were still 32,000 police officers when he left office and providing a visible police presence is the most important public perception.
He funded it by selling under used buildings and raising £660 million or so. He also introduced bodycams on the frontline.I won`t mention the water cannons!

Then you have Crossrail, Cycle Super Highways, improvements to some of the more deadly junctions (Oval/Blackfriars etc).

Thing is a lot of the projects span or reach from preceeding Mayors across to others... you`ll probably find that Khan is still dealing with some Livingstone "Legacy" projects.

Would he unify a country? Doubt it........... he`s Marmite!

His strengths as Mayor was in trusting other people to "do the job" and using his flair as an advocate for London and as a recognisable figurehead.
A friend of mine, who is an MP, once said "He`s the only person you can recognise from behind" !

On Boris's watch neighbourhood crime fell dramatically and confidence in the Met police rose. Simply by putting bobbies before buildings, there were still 32,000 police officers when he left office and providing a visible police presence is the most important public perception.
He funded it by selling under used buildings and raising £660 million or so. He also introduced bodycams on the frontline.I won`t mention the water cannons!

Then you have Crossrail, Cycle Super Highways, improvements to some of the more deadly junctions (Oval/Blackfriars etc).

Thing is a lot of the projects span or reach from preceeding Mayors across to others... you`ll probably find that Khan is still dealing with some Livingstone "Legacy" projects.

Would he unify a country? Doubt it........... he`s Marmite!

Don't forgot his garden bridge, Boris Island Airport and water cannon farces in his time as mayor.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Point of order! :)

Could we use this thread to literally 'keep a watch' on Boris' activity and comments going forward as PM, rather than looking back over his past achievements / inadequacies?

Will he be a respected, unifying figurehead, or a bumbling incompetent, or something in between?

(That said, I'm guessing there'll be more to report in the debit column, but I'll try to keep an open mind ....)

But his past racism, lies and actions relate and point to his future actions and competence. So they are very relevant for the Fatberg of dishonesty and this discussion imo.

Back
Top Bottom