National News Boris Johnson - Ousted Former PM

Does anyone else think "crossing the floor" (irrespective of direction) should trigger an automatic by-election?

Same as MP`s kicked out of their party?

That aside - it really ticked off a lot of Labour supporters on the left of the party who think KS is "turning blue". 🤷‍♀️
What? The thing he actually proposed as a motion??

God, no!

Given the sparsity of obvious candidates to take over if/when Boris departs, I'm wondering whether their best option would be to reappoint Theresa may and give her a chance to actually lead the party without all the noise of Brexit dominating everything.......

Discuss

Given the sparsity of obvious candidates to take over if/when Boris departs, I'm wondering whether their best option would be to reappoint Theresa may and give her a chance to actually lead the party without all the noise of Brexit dominating everything.......

Discuss

I can think of nothing funnier.

Theresa May was one of the worst duds of a PM seen.
I definitely believe MPs who cross the house should be made to resign and a by election held. Shaun Woodward did the same in Witney years ago.
With PMs we had Harold Wilson, Margaret Thatcher, David Cameron and Theresa May all leave office for a successor. i don’t think there should be a general election, certainly not if illness forces the leader to stand down

Yes...by-election for crossing the floor.

(BLIMEY.... WE'RE ALL IN AGREEMENT ON THE BORIS JOHNSON THREAD)

Mods???? - Sort this out!!!

Last edited:
Does anyone else think "crossing the floor" (irrespective of direction) should trigger an automatic by-election?

That aside - it really ticked off a lot of Labour supporters on the left of the party who think KS is "turning blue". 🤷‍♀️
agreed

You should be voting for the candidate not the party. If you choose a candidate who sees a change of party as the best move for their electorate then they should be able to do that. If there was PR with a transferable vote it would make sense to have a by-election, or otherwise change the electoral system so that you are formally voting for a party not a candidate.

Technically no, as you’re supposed to vote for your MP, not the party they belong too.
But as so many of the electorate aren’t particularly well informed of the policies their local candidates stand for, it might be a reasonable suggestion?

Theresa May was one of the worst duds of a PM seen.
I definitely believe MPs who cross the house should be made to resign and a by election held. Shaun Woodward did the same in Witney years ago.
With PMs we had Harold Wilson, Margaret Thatcher, David Cameron and Theresa May all leave office for a successor. i don’t think there should be a general election, certainly not if illness forces the leader to stand down
If a general election was called immediately after the replacement of a PM, they would be at a considerable disadvantage of having time to get their policies out there and showing the people what they stand for.
But a new leader that waits too long for an election, can also be seen as week.

In our local Labour Party we have just been through a process of re-selecting our MP, she is a reasonably effective, hard working MP. Providing the local Party in Bury South is given the same opportunity ( what some of us would call ‘democracy’) fair enough. The new candidate in Bury South should then fight a bye-election.

In our local Labour Party we have just been through a process of re-selecting our MP, she is a reasonably effective, hard working MP. Providing the local Party in Bury South is given the same opportunity ( what some of us would call ‘democracy’) fair enough. The new candidate in Bury South should then fight a bye-election.
Democracy comes through voting for an MP, not party pre-selection.

general election was called immediately after the replacement of a PM, they would be at a considerable disadvantage of having time to get their policies out there and showing the people what they stand for.
But a new leader that waits too long for an election, can also be seen as week.

The problem with a new PM is often that they introduce policies that weren't voted for as part of the manifesto at the last general election yet claim the mandate to do so from that election.

Democracy comes through voting for an MP, not party pre-selection.
As much as that is technically true, people will vote alongside party lines most of the time. In fact we now see a lot of people voting for party leaders instead of their own MP - the defection of Labour supporters who couldn't vote for JC point to this.

So why have the party name on the ballot paper?
Because Britain has allowed vested interests to subvert its version democracy by organising themselves into parties.
(But my real answer is that I was replying to someone suggesting that it is anti-democratic to make someone compete for a party selection. I don’t think picking which candidate will represent a political party in an election is part of democracy - it is part of a mechanism to railroad democracy).

As much as that is technically true, people will vote alongside party lines most of the time. In fact we now see a lot of people voting for party leaders instead of their own MP - the defection of Labour supporters who couldn't vote for JC point to this.

Yes and Party leaders in recent years acting as if they are Presidents rather than PMs (ie. Johnson trying to cut out/prorogue Parliament).

Then people are failing democracy, democracy is not failing them.

Back
Top Bottom