National News Boris Johnson - Ousted Former PM

Oh "shared services" ... don`t get me started. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Our IT was in-house. Those guys knew where everything was, where it connected, who worked where etc etc. Most of them were on sensible money, secure jobs etc.

Then it was decided to out-source it, fantastic start with huge upgrades in kit & software in Year 1 & 2 of the contract.

Massive downside - the "IT Helpdesk" in the subsequent years (it feels like much longer!)

Anything non-clinical/patient-facing goes wrong it`s graded at level 3 response- 3-5 working days.
And that's after some poor sod has sat on the phone for an hour trying to explain to someone whose first language is not English, over a dubious IP line that some non-clinical things are equally critical.
Still, we still get paid even if we aren`t doing anything as the system is down.

HR................... 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️:ROFLMAO:

Did the bumbling fool really not understand the question?

I seriously don't think I've seen a worse political performance and there are many contenders from across all parties.

I do wish folk like Marr et al would learn to use silence as an interview tool rather than talking over people about 10 seconds after asking them a question.

Having watched the interview this morning Boris was, at the core, correct. For too long there has been easy access to a cheap labour pool that isn`t there anymore.
I`ve seen it and lost work through it, so do you continue a "race to the bottom" or try and raise the standards, whilst accepting there will be bumps in the road?

Would you rather work 37 hours a week at £20 an hour or 74 hours a week at £10 an hour? Same end point.... £740.00. 🤷‍♀️

I do wish folk like Marr et al would learn to use silence as an interview tool rather than talking over people about 10 seconds after asking them a question.

Having watched the interview this morning Boris was, at the core, correct. For too long there has been easy access to a cheap labour pool that isn`t there anymore.
I`ve seen it and lost work through it, so do you continue a "race to the bottom" or try and raise the standards, whilst accepting there will be bumps in the road?

Would you rather work 37 hours a week at £20 an hour or 74 hours a week at £10 an hour? Same end point.... £740.00. 🤷‍♀️

That doesn't change the short term problem and the very real chance that 20k Pigs get killed and incinerated for no good reason which was what the question posed to him was and he ignored. And to re-iterate I'd like to see the British population doing these jobs but that isn't an option in the short term.

That doesn't change the short term problem and the very real chance that 20k Pigs get killed and incinerated for no good reason which was what the question posed to him was and he ignored. And to re-iterate I'd like to see the British population doing these jobs but that isn't an option in the short term.
It's more like 150k pigs. Friday's Newsnight (last 10 mins) did a good piece on it.

Strange irony that a butcher with over 30 years of experience was "priced out" of the work by cheaper labour from the EU. :)
Firstly it was Portugese than latterly Eastern Europeans.
Its a skill you don`t forget because the animal's design remains the same & I could go back into it tomorrow.... current salary seems to be between £400 -£700 a week but the better rate is for an "early" night shift and probably piece work so start at 5.30pm to finish by 2.00am or so but could easily be a 6.00am finish so 60-70 hours so "less appealing" the deeper you look..... and it screws your work/life balance.

Just watching a friend presenting about similar issues on Countryfile.

What is the answer? We all pay a bit more for food?

That is the answer which it why brexiteers promises of cheaper food if we leave the EU is so perplexing.... or simply a lie.

Do you want cheap food and therefore support/condone cheap labour, or pay a fair price so the labour earns more?

I would prefer the latter.

If people still prefer to buy cheap imported cr** and "outsource" the problem to a far-off land and never mind the cost to the planet then they can crack on...

The problem is that our economy is built at least to some extent on cheap labour. EU workers who were previously employed in this country (picking veg, slaughtering pigs, driving lorries and petrol tankers) made up a substantial proportion of that labour. Send them all home and then you've got a shortage in that area (it's not exactly rocket science!). The reason they were here in the first place is because they were more willing to do jobs like that and were willing to do them for less than the native population.

If you want UK citizens to do those jobs, you have somehow either got to force them to do it (vote for your freedom eh?) or make the wages better - significantly better. UK people aren't going to pick spuds for tuppence ha'penny while living in a slum-like HMO and paying their gang boss most of their wages - and neither should they (neither should anyone - but we are addicted to cheap food).

On the basis that the first option isn't practical (the labour shortages are in markets that need training or are in geographically different areas from the spare labour) the only option is the second. Which means more expensive food. Or shitter food made at a lower cost. Neither of those are palatable (pun intended).

It's almost as if the government didn't have a plan...

The problem is that our economy is built at least to some extent on cheap labour. EU workers who were previously employed in this country (picking veg, slaughtering pigs, driving lorries and petrol tankers) made up a substantial proportion of that labour. Send them all home and then you've got a shortage in that area (it's not exactly rocket science!). The reason they were here in the first place is because they were more willing to do jobs like that and were willing to do them for less than the native population.

If you want UK citizens to do those jobs, you have somehow either got to force them to do it (vote for your freedom eh?) or make the wages better - significantly better. UK people aren't going to pick spuds for tuppence ha'penny while living in a slum-like HMO and paying their gang boss most of their wages - and neither should they (neither should anyone - but we are addicted to cheap food).

On the basis that the first option isn't practical (the labour shortages are in markets that need training or are in geographically different areas from the spare labour) the only option is the second. Which means more expensive food. Or shitter food made at a lower cost. Neither of those are palatable (pun intended).

It's almost as if the government didn't have a plan...
Maybe their plan is to let UK farmers go bust so they can then import cheap, poor quality food from abroad hence their claim that food would become cheaper post Brexit.

Absolutely agree with this...

Give them the chance to give a full answer to the question asked (if they can) or dig themselves into their own hole (if they can't).....

....then deal with what they've said.

Nothing worse than watching an interview with someone with no answer not having to give one because the interviewer is too occupied by the sound of their own voice!

Worst culprit? - Fiona Bruce on question time

Absolutely agree with this...

Give them the chance to give a full answer to the question asked (if they can) or dig themselves into their own hole (if they can't).....

....then deal with what they've said.

Nothing worse than watching an interview with someone with no answer not having to give one because the interviewer is too occupied by the sound of their own voice!

Worst culprit? - Fiona Bruce on question time
But when they don't even attempt to answer the question and simply filibuster to fill the time available for the interview what else can they do?

Strange irony that a butcher with over 30 years of experience was "priced out" of the work by cheaper labour from the EU. :)
Firstly it was Portugese than latterly Eastern Europeans.
Its a skill you don`t forget because the animal's design remains the same & I could go back into it tomorrow.... current salary seems to be between £400 -£700 a week but the better rate is for an "early" night shift and probably piece work so start at 5.30pm to finish by 2.00am or so but could easily be a 6.00am finish so 60-70 hours so "less appealing" the deeper you look..... and it screws your work/life balance.

Just watching a friend presenting about similar issues on Countryfile.

What is the answer? We all pay a bit more for food?

There you go, you can help out Johnson and his Govt, at least for the short-term. ;)

Back
Top Bottom