National News Boris Johnson - Ousted Former PM

I will say it again..... folk seem to have missed it.
No issue at all with legal migration through the proper channels.

Vehemently opposed to illegal entry by persons unknown, who will soon enough find themselves either in some form of modern slavery or the wrong side of the law.

Legal migration protects the very people who need it, illegal entry feeds the very thing they are fleeing.
No one can reasonably argue against any of the above.
The UK and France need to come with with a fair and humane system for screening those seeking entry to the UK.

It's a problem that is (to be fair) not of the government's making - mass migration is a global phenomenon. It has always happened and probably always will.

On the one hand you don't want unlimited and illegal immigration into the country, but on the other hand, you cannot blame people for wanting to make better life for themselves and their families.

I suppose we should have expected the old reactionary trope 'why don't you put these people up then' as well as the pictures of helicopters and mentions of gun boats. Is it worth mentioning that JK Rowling regularly mentions the benefits support she received some years ago, pays all her tax in the UK and has donated significant amounts to various causes , including MS research, literacy and assisting single parents back into work?

The same little Nigel Farages' who want 'to take back our sovereignty'. In our small way we are responsible for a lot of these people heading toward Europe and the UK - through what we have and what we haven't done in the name of foreign policy.
They have money and properties, some of which are empty, to assist the Govt in housing the migrants - it will be much nicer than a scuzzy hotel.

After all, they all showed a desire to help out in various pronouncements to the press, so let's take them up on it eh? And I am sure Lily Allen will have a right old time!

I actually have a little bit of sympathy for the government insofar as they were in a pretty impossible position with these exam results.

Allow the teachers' predictions to stand as is, and you immediately introduce bias and favoritism into the system.
Apply an algorithm as they tried to, and now a student's grade is suddenly based not only on his or her talents, but also on the performance of kids at their school over the previous several years. Doesn't exactly seem reasonable to me for someone to have their grades dropped just because they happen to live in an area that's full of thickos! ;)

There probably wasn't a completely fair route through this problem.

But then the government eliminates any sympathy they may have been due by making every decision in the most chaotic and back-and-forth way possible.
"We believe in this decision.....oh, wait, it looks like public opinion is against us, so let's just rip up our plans and reverse course so we do whatever's most popular today"
They did exactly the same a few months ago with the covid outbreak.

I would have more respect for the government if they would actually make a decision based on the advice they were getting, and then stick to their guns if it turned out to be unpopular - even if I disagreed with that decision myself. At least then it would look as if they had some competency and principles.

But they don't. They just seem to chart the simplest and most politically expedient course through every crisis.
Unsurprising really, as they're led by a man who has always based his principles on what's going to work best for him at any given moment.

And these jokers are supposed to be leading the country through the biggest political disruption for three generations in just a matter of months? Is there anyone now who doesn't think that the implementation of Brexit is going to be a complete and utter shambles??
Great post, exactly this it's a hard situation with no exact answer but it's the chaos in decision making that causes the real frustration and pain for the candidates- I bet Boris has plenty of flip-flops for his holiday.

I’m enjoying the fact that we’re taking back control by begging France to sort out the English Channel, while squinting through binoculars and looking very angry from the shore. Wait until January when many of our treaties with the French are torn up, and they have basically zero obligation to make even the most basic of efforts to stop people stowing away.

Still no idea where Napoleon, I mean Boris, is. Maybe he’s having a bit of trouble getting the barbecue going. Glamping isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

They have money and properties, some of which are empty, to assist the Govt in housing the migrants - it will be much nicer than a scuzzy hotel.

After all, they all showed a desire to help out in various pronouncements to the press, so let's take them up on it eh? And I am sure Lily Allen will have a right old time!
Is this more of your famed sarcasm, or the xenphobic comment of someone entirely lacking in empathy?

Can any of you Tory apologists explain this one?

Just look up Common Wealth, IPPR & New Economics Foundation for the opposing views from the opposition.

There are many of these "institutes" that use their academic & collective leverage to steer politicians & groups.
Now a sensible politician will meet & discuss all views, on all extremities, both in public and in private, to reach some sort of middle ground, or "populism" as it seems to have been christened.
As someone who has had the pleasure of sitting in on several APPG (All Party Parliamentary Group) meetings you get all the extremes of relative views and the collective group develops a policy or outcome that sits somewhere in the middle.................... and that is politics in a tin. As they are all party you don`t need to be in power to influence the outcome either.
No apology, it happens.

Just look up Common Wealth, IPPR & New Economics Foundation for the opposing views from the opposition.

There are many of these "institutes" that use their academic & collective leverage to steer politicians & groups.
Now a sensible politician will meet & discuss all views, on all extremities, both in public and in private, to reach some sort of middle ground, or "populism" as it seems to have been christened.
As someone who has had the pleasure of sitting in on several APPG (All Party Parliamentary Group) meetings you get all the extremes of relative views and the collective group develops a policy or outcome that sits somewhere in the middle.................... and that is politics in a tin. As they are all party you don`t need to be in power to influence the outcome either.
No apology, it happens.
I think you've missed the point. Having such meetings isn't an issue as it is to be expected but claiming it is a personal meeting and not one being carried out as part of her role in the government is.

Is this more of your famed sarcasm, or the xenphobic comment of someone entirely lacking in empathy?
Meow, want some milk with that? Or a saucer of cream? Tin of tuna?

Just reality of millionaires who live in big houses not offering their properties for the function of housing migrants but telling us proles what we should do or think. Live their words into tangible actions to make life better, not be vacuous paper activists.

Meow, want some milk with that? Or a saucer of cream? Tin of tuna?

Just reality of millionaires who live in big houses not offering their properties for the function of housing migrants but telling us proles what we should do or think. Live their words into tangible actions to make life better, not be vacuous paper activists.

And you know they haven't quietly been funding charities etc supporting/housing such people?

And you know they haven't quietly been funding charities etc supporting/housing such people?
I don't but being those sorts of virtual signallers and looking for good PR, surely the message would resonate saying I am doing this, join me to help to help lives better. A more powerful, positive and unifying message isn't it?

I think you've missed the point. Having such meetings isn't an issue as it is to be expected but claiming it is a personal meeting and not one being carried out as part of her role in the government is.

Then the only person who can make the decision is Ms Truss.
As far as I can see......
Truss had two meetings with the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA) removed from a public register created to disclose private institutions that were involved in government policy development.
The meetings were removed from the department’s website on Wednesday and replaced with a note explaining they were personal meetings, and thus did not warrant publication on the site.

If she had just left them there then nobody would have batted an eyelid.

I don't but being those sorts of virtual signallers and looking for good PR, surely the message would resonate saying I am doing this, join me to help to help lives better. A more powerful, positive and unifying message isn't it?

Some people just get on and do things and as you are lumping them altogether, you haven't a clue one way or the other.

Isn't a 'virtual signaller' someone working on the railways or perhaps at an airport?

Indeed, I believe they "trigger" their signals using "gaslighting", from the comfort of a "safe space" with a cup of "froth". Being timely is essential: tick-tock! And strictly no "Whataboutism"!
Not to mention struggling with “the wrong kind of snowflake”.

Back
Top Bottom