National News Boris Johnson - Ousted Former PM

Behave....would be some extremely good advice for Ms Patel to follow, as opposed to throwing her weight around like some middle management relic from the 80's.

I am surprised that you are this behind the times in your view of management as a public sector worker. You must have respect at work, diversity, equal opportunity and all those modern day new-fangled "namby-pamby" methods shoved down your throat at every available opportunity!

Certainly do, however there are ways around it. :D

When I had my first team I had 2 "troublesome" individuals that had been through the whole range of informal grievance meetings, formal grievance meetings, HR liaison meetings, AMICA "working together meetings" and several months of soft & cuddly BS that was nothing more than tit for tat time wasting.

I took them into a room individually, (I may, or may not have blistered the paint... no witnesses) then we had a "resolution meeting" where it was made clear that I had listened to their issues, outlined the expected behaviour and would meet with them every month until the matter was resolved. The first review meeting was cancelled by both of them.

Job done, no problem anymore and both are happier in their work.

Yep, would probably classify as bullying & harassment and a breach of the ministerial code but it sorted the problem.

Behave.

"Home Office permanent secretary Philip Rutnam resigned at the weekend, claiming that Patel had “created fear” in the department and that his attempts to convince her to change her behaviour had “created tension” between him and the home secretary.

Yesterday it was reported that a former civil servant took an overdose and received a five-figure payout from the Department for Work and Pensions after alleging that she was bullied by Patel, who was an employment minister at the time"

That's from Postmodern Marxist Civil Service World.

Personality clashes happen all the time.
That is why there is a formal complaint system to follow at all levels.
Someone "getting a payout" is just taking a cheap option, happens far more frequently than people think.

My post was a response to your 'Fake News' statement that no-one complained, darling.

Have a lovely weekend 🍺

My post was a response to your 'Fake News' statement that no-one complained, darling.

Have a lovely weekend 🍺

Gobbing to the press isn`t a complaint..... neither is OD`ing.
If people complained, with evidence then the case would be stronger.

As for Sir Alex "resigning" over the issue..... he`s nearly 70 so probably fancied cashing in the pension pot. ;)

You too sweet cheeks xx 🥃🥃

You do love defending your mates, their bendy rules and extremely low standards... #ToryfanboyNo1 . . . is it like the Dennis the Menace Fan Club?....do you get a badge or something?:ROFLMAO:

Public sector set to have salaries frozen for the foreseeable. He'll no doubt be champing this move. Despite being one of those directly impacted...

Reference the highlighted section of your post Baz, I think you could be right. In spite of the spinelessness and recurring cock-ups, the Tories will probably get in again in 2023/4 despite the worthy efforts of a reforming Mr Starmer, but after that there could be a sea change in British politics, with a more centrist Labour Party making gains.
If they do I hope it’s with Rishi as PM

Behave.
She probably told them straight they were being obstructive and needed to shape up.
"Bullying" when nobody said a word at the time? Nobody started or noted a complaint?
Maybe they didn`t like being told the reality by a woman? Or maybe it was racism....
Sometimes blistering the paint on the walls is the only way to get things done.

Crack on Priti.
"Nobody started or noted a complaint?" - so the £25k that was paid to a member of staff of a previous department to avoid an employment tribunal was just the government's lawyers being generous? The person was paid off with taxpayers money to avoid her being made to testify...

Behave.
She probably told them straight they were being obstructive and needed to shape up.
"Bullying" when nobody said a word at the time? Nobody started or noted a complaint?
Maybe they didn`t like being told the reality by a woman? Or maybe it was racism....
Sometimes blistering the paint on the walls is the only way to get things done.

Crack on Priti.
Managing is about how you get the best out of the imperfect (as we are all imperfect).

Good bosses don't bully. Period.

Certainly do, however there are ways around it. :D

When I had my first team I had 2 "troublesome" individuals that had been through the whole range of informal grievance meetings, formal grievance meetings, HR liaison meetings, AMICA "working together meetings" and several months of soft & cuddly BS that was nothing more than tit for tat time wasting.

I took them into a room individually, (I may, or may not have blistered the paint... no witnesses) then we had a "resolution meeting" where it was made clear that I had listened to their issues, outlined the expected behaviour and would meet with them every month until the matter was resolved. The first review meeting was cancelled by both of them.

Job done, no problem anymore and both are happier in their work.

Yep, would probably classify as bullying & harassment and a breach of the ministerial code but it sorted the problem.
So what's worse? Being called out as a bully but not recognising the behaviour in yourself or admitting to being a bully. Close call.

So what's worse? Being called out as a bully but not recognising the behaviour in yourself or admitting to being a bully. Close call.
The nature of the complaint was her bullying attitude. She comes across a bit arrogant. But after what I heard on the news that there was shouting and swearing then that is unacceptable in which case she should go.

The nature of the complaint was her bullying attitude. She comes across a bit arrogant. But after what I heard on the news that there was shouting and swearing then that is unacceptable in which case she should go.
Agreed. And what about Essexyellow admitting to being a bully?

Agreed. And what about Essexyellow admitting to being a bully?

I used an alternative strategy and outlined clearly what was expected of the team members in clear and concise language.

No complaints were made and the individuals now have a far better working relationship.

Sorry, some times a line has to be drawn in the sand for the benefit of all protagonists.

Maybe we should have just carried on spinning an eternal treadmill of tit for tat gripes wasting time, energy and public money?

I used an alternative strategy and outlined clearly what was expected of the team members in clear and concise language.

No complaints were made and the individuals now have a far better working relationship.

Sorry, some times a line has to be drawn in the sand for the benefit of all protagonists.

Maybe we should have just carried on spinning an eternal treadmill of tit for tat gripes wasting time, energy and public money?

Now you are trying to justify bullying. THERE IS NO EXCUSE.

If a person has to resort to bullying it speaks volumes about their limitations as a manager.

My Mrs would be a lot less annoying and would waste a lot less of my time, energy and money if i just hit her/shout at her occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom