National News Boris Johnson - Ousted Former PM

Another spectacular own goal from our glorious leader , what a guy!....

If Johnson is serious about trying to resolve the situation why did he make the letter public ffs!?! It's not as if his ministers don't fall back on 'you'll have to wait for the announcement' daily on TV when asked difficult questions. 😡😡😡

If Johnson is serious about trying to resolve the situation why did he make the letter public ffs!?! It's not as if his ministers don't fall back on 'you'll have to wait for the announcement' daily on TV when asked difficult questions. 😡😡😡
Johnson's inner inflammatory Shock-Journo always comes to the fore at the most inopportune moments doesn't it?

He basically can't help himself.

Anyone else that hell bent on causing themselves this much self harm with such regularity would likely be identified as in need of some serious help.

UK: We want sole control of our own borders! We want to make our own laws, even though we’ve been involved in forming all of the EU ones because we’re a hugely senior member with a veto! Oh man, it’s going to be so brilliant once we’re out! There are no limits to what we can achieve! An independent, global Britain, just like when the globe was pink! We especially can’t wait to annoy the French, particularly over fishing rights! So long as they’re annoyed everything could always be worse! Exclamation points! Free and independent exclamation points! All the cards! They need us! Nothing to lose! Only upsides! Now let’s get going and let’s take back control! Onwaaaaaard to gloryyyyyyyy!

Also UK: JESUS CHRIST FRANCE AND EU WHY WON’T YOU HELP US CONTROL OUR BORDERS YOU KNOW THAT WE CAN’T DO IT ON OUR OWN WHAT’S THE MATTER WITH YOU WE DON’T HAVE THE RESOURCES OR THE LEGISLATION IN PLACE BECAUSE IT WAS ALL TIED TO OUR MEMBERSHIP AND WE NEVER SORTED IT OUT WHEN WE STORMED OFF IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC FOR GOOD MEASURE AND ON TOP OF THAT WE CAN’T EVEN BUILD THE WAVE MACHINE PRITI WANTS WHICH IS A TOTALLY SANE AND REASONABLE IDEA AS OPPOSED TO SETTING UP SAFE LEGAL PASSAGES BECAUSE WE DON’T KNOW HOW TO DO IT AND DON’T HAVE THE MONEY THAT’S WHY WE’VE SPENT TENS OF MILLIONS ON PAYING OTHER OTHER COUNTRIES TO WALK AROUND LOOKING FOR BOATS ON BEACHES OH REAL MATURE MACRON YEAH REAL MATURE YOU’RE PATHETIC IT’S LIKE YOU WANT TO BE UNHELPFUL AND UPSET OUR COUNTRY ON PURPOSE THIS IS ABOUT THE FISH ISN’T IT SERIOUSLY I CAN’T BELIEVE THIS YOU SHOULD ALL BE DOING MORE NONE OF THIS IS ANYTHING TO DO WITH US THIS IS YOUR FAULT THIS IS WHY WE LEFT YOU BUNCH OF KNOBS YOU’RE SO UNFAIR WE HATE YOU NOW SORT IT OUT BECAUSE WE CAN’T DO IT UNLESS YOU DO IT FOR US EVEN THOUGH ALL WE DO IS SAY HOW CRAP YOU ARE AND HOW YOU NEED US MORE BECAUSE WE ARE THE BEST AND THEN WONDER WHY WE DON’T GET EVERYTHING ON OUR OWN TERMS GOD YOU’RE SO ANNOYING!!!1one11!!

It would be funny if it weren’t so catastrophic, not to mention utterly humiliating. Good thing we’ve proven to be trustworthy and stuck to our word on all the promises we made, and honoured all of our agreements that we signed last year. Otherwise begging the people we’ve stabbed in the back and stuck two fingers up at to do more to fix something we don’t like, because we think we can do whatever we want and it’s really funny to see other countries upset until it suddenly doesn’t suit us, and demanding that they continue to do even more than us by publishing a grovelling letter on social media which we’re pretending is a letter of authority, would be one of the most ludicrous moves in living memory.

Last edited:
Also UK: JESUS CHRIST FRANCE AND EU WHY WON’T YOU HELP US CONTROL OUR BORDERS YOU KNOW THAT WE CAN’T DO IT ON OUR OWN WHAT’S THE MATTER WITH YOU WE DON’T HAVE THE RESOURCES OR THE LEGISLATION IN PLACE BECAUSE IT WAS ALL TIED TO OUR MEMBERSHIP AND WE NEVER SORTED IT OUT WHEN WE STORMED OFF IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC FOR GOOD MEASURE AND ON TOP OF THAT WE CAN’T EVEN BUILD THE WAVE MACHINE PRITI WANTS WHICH IS A TOTALLY SANE AND REASONABLE IDEA AS OPPOSED TO SETTING UP SAFE LEGAL PASSAGES BECAUSE WE DON’T KNOW HOW TO DO IT AND DON’T HAVE THE MONEY THAT’S WHY WE’VE SPENT TENS OF MILLIONS ON PAYING OTHER OTHER COUNTRIES TO WALK AROUND LOOKING FOR BOATS ON BEACHES OH REAL MATURE MACRON YEAH REAL MATURE YOU’RE PATHETIC IT’S LIKE YOU WANT TO BE UNHELPFUL AND UPSET OUR COUNTRY ON PURPOSE THIS IS ABOUT THE FISH ISN’T IT SERIOUSLY I CAN’T BELIEVE THIS YOU SHOULD ALL BE DOING MORE NONE OF THIS IS ANYTHING TO DO WITH US THIS IS YOUR FAULT THIS IS WHY WE LEFT YOU BUNCH OF KNOBS YOU’RE SO UNFAIR WE HATE YOU NOW SORT IT OUT BECAUSE WE CAN’T DO IT UNLESS YOU DO IT FOR US EVEN THOUGH ALL WE DO IS SAY HOW CRAP YOU ARE AND HOW YOU NEED US MORE BECAUSE WE ARE THE BEST AND THEN WONDER WHY WE DON’T GET EVERYTHING ON OUR OWN TERMS GOD YOU’RE SO ANNOYING!!!1one11!!
👏

kevin-perry-that-is-so-unfair.gif

I saw some breaking news last night, Boris has paved the way to another multi billion £ trade deal after his visit to pepper pig world. Next week he’s due to visit PC world, world of leather & camera world. Over to you for more.

I saw some breaking news last night, Boris has paved the way to another multi billion £ trade deal after his visit to pepper pig world. Next week he’s due to visit PC world, world of leather & camera world. Over to you for more.
Wait until you hear about the Iceland trade deal!

Wait until you hear about the Iceland trade deal!
Oh god. We haven’t just rolled over and had our tummies ticked again?
Let me guess? The 6th largest economy in the world handing out yet another bloody free trade deal??

Rees-Mogg being investigated but others of different parties as well.

Scottish Tory leader Douglas Ross, tbf, reported himself after he failed to declarebearnings from 16 games in his other job as a Football Referee.

Go on, give us the context of that speech where that makes any sense?

International Men’s Day—I am not really a fan of these days. We seem to have a day for everything at present. However, as someone who cares deeply about preventing young boys and men from being left behind, it is fitting that I lead today’s debate. In recent years, there has been a creeping narrative that males have it easy; that their life is a breeze and there is nothing to complain about. My standing here may, in fact, be used as evidence of that, yet it is clear that life is tough for many men and young boys, and many of our boys in schools are far from privileged. I certainly was not; in fact, I came from what I would consider a pretty standard working-class background. I do not begrudge that fact at all, because coming from such a background gave me the attitude that if I did not do something myself, no one else would. That attitude is what put me here.

However, it is clear that many young men and boys are struggling and, for whatever reason, are lacking the can-do attitude that will enable them to get on in life. The statistics speak for themselves: as a whole, men and boys are doing disproportionately poorly in education and health settings. To give a few statistics, boys are lagging behind at school, especially in maths and English. Some 13.2% of men are not in employment or education; the equivalent figure for women is 10%. Suicide rates for men are three times higher than they are for women. Life expectancy for a man today is four years lower than for a woman, 83% of rough sleepers are men, and a staggering 96% of the prison population are male. While I do not believe that men are a wholly victimised group, it is clear that if we witnessed such disparities between other groups, there would quite rightly be uproar. However, such statistics do not generate the headlines they should, because issues that affect men do not seem urgent enough to talk about.

Why is that the case? Personally, I believe that this place operates like a pendulum, swinging from left to right as it continually struggles to correct wrongs and injustices. That is a very noble endeavour that has been pursued in this great institution for many centuries. However, I am afraid that the pendulum often swings so far that reaching an equilibrium is no longer the objective. As such, over the decades during which this place has rightly corrected society’s injustices—empowering females and protecting sexual and ethnic minorities from discrimination—we have unfortunately left the struggles of many males out of the discussion. Some may say that men have had their turn, and it is women’s turn now. I find that poor argument rather infantile, yet it is something I have heard within these walls during private discussions, and it is a narrative that I feel has penetrated popular discourse.

I am in no way denying that men have had many opportunities that women have not had, and that remains the case in too many instances. That is wrong and should be continually challenged and put right. However, such a wrong should not be corrected by simply ignoring the issues that many men and boys face. As the saying goes, “Two wrongs don’t make a right.” So what can we do? And why did coming from such a working-class background not stop me from reaching the position I am in now?

First, we must consider the need for boys to have male role models, just as they need female ones. The need for such male role models is highlighted by groups such as Lads Need Dads, a fantastic charity that has done some excellent work in encouraging boys to pursue their passions and to learn skills from male volunteers. The results speak for themselves, and I urge all Members here to look into the organisation’s work and to promote the group in their constituencies It is time that we recognised the need for positive male role models for our boys. After all, failure to do so will only mean that boys continue to be let down.

Secondly, we clearly need more male teachers in our schools if we are to address some of the educational disparities that I touched on earlier. I have spoken to teachers in Don Valley who said that the poor behaviour of young boys with no positive male role models at home is often exacerbated by the lack of male role models at school. Consequently, I say to the Minister that an active campaign to encourage men to become teachers ought to be a fundamental part of the teacher recruitment and retention policy.

Thirdly, it is clear that boys need to have their own clubs, just as girls need their own clubs. It is indeed a wonderful thing that women’s football is on TV, and it is terrific that female tennis stars are finally starting to be paid as much as their male counterparts. As the father of a daughter, I applaud all who have corrected that wrong and hundreds of other injustices. Yet I will also reiterate something that seems very topical at the moment, although much more for women than men, which is the need to have their own identity and for masculinity to be something that can be celebrated at times rather than being continually vilified.

Everywhere, not least within the cultural sphere, there seems to be a call from a tiny yet very vocal minority that every male character or good role model must have a female replacement. One only needs to consider the discussions about who will next play the James Bond to see that. And it is not just James Bond. In recent years, we have seen Dr Who, the Ghostbusters, Luke Skywalker and The Equalizer all replaced by women, and men are left with the Krays and Tommy Shelby. Is it any wonder that so many young men are committing crimes? Such programmes make crime look cool. Trust me, a lifetime in prison is not cool, and neither is living with the memory of a stabbed son or daughter.

There is no doubt that we have witnessed awful events over the past year in which the victims have been women. Being the father of a daughter, as I have mentioned, my heart goes out to the victims of such crimes and their families. Yet the awful events that have taken place have led, in many ways, to the word “masculinity” being preceded by the word “toxic” more and more frequently in our public discourse. Yet again, we have to ask ourselves, “Who does this help?” I have an answer: no one. How will this situation make boys and young men see themselves? Poorly, that is how.

If we are to strive to be a safe and inclusive society, we should not vilify 50% of the population and neither should we immediately vilify the term “masculinity”. That is because, just as I hope all women love being women, I love being a man. Most of my friends are men. Indeed, coming from an electrical engineering background, most of my former colleagues are men. My understanding of the world has largely been shaped by the fact that I am a man. I do not think that being a man makes me superior in any way, yet being male is an essential part of my identity, and just as with any other identity—whether religious or ethnic—I believe that male identity should be celebrated, not vilified.

Some may argue that I did not choose to be born male and so it is ridiculous for male identity to be celebrated. I do not suspect that anyone would say that about any other identity. In short, I believe that we should encourage boys and young men to be proud of being men, because it is important for boys to know that, as males, they can make a positive difference to society.

Following on from that, I will just go back to how I ended up here in Parliament. First and foremost, I came from what I believe was a very good home. I was lucky to have good parents and two wonderful brothers. Overall, I was surrounded by excellent role models, who often told me, “Don’t say ‘I can’t’. Say ‘I can’ and ‘I will’.” I did, and look where it got me.

I also went to a great school with the best headteacher, Mr Stephenson, who knew what it was to be a great role model, and I thank him for the time he spent with me. I went to Scouts, practised taekwondo, and became an apprentice at 16. Throughout that time I was surrounded by male role models, many of whom were very good, speaking positively about each other and where they lived. If more of our boys and young men had that experience, we could make enormous strides for the most disadvantaged of boys.

Going back to the earlier mentioned statistics on education, some excellent research contained in the report by the all-party parliamentary group on issues affecting men and boys, “A Boy Today”, highlights some of the reasons why boys may be disadvantaged. One such reason is that boys are likely to be taught better in a vocational setting, than in a classroom. The

Government must take this seriously and tackle the fact that boys generally do much worse in a classroom setting.

Speaking from a personal perspective, I can see why this may be relevant to many boys in education. I can completely relate, because I am an action person. I prefer to learn something on the job and for a reason, after which I like to put it into practice. Basically, I just like getting on with it. I can imagine many boys and young men in education feel the same.

We need to find out what the boys who do not do well in traditional educational settings are good at and provide the resources to support them. If it is something out of school, it should, where possible, be brought into school, even if it is just an assembly piece. While we should encourage and champion all children, research suggests boys are much less likely to push themselves, so this needs to be addressed at every opportunity.

In school, the workplace and home, we should also begin to recognise that language is most important. Negativity is never the right approach. One of the greatest lessons I learned as a parent and an employer of many young male apprentices over the years is that we must speak positively in front of young people. Any concerns should be addressed privately with other adults who are responsible for the child’s development or young person’s progression. Telling a young person they are useless or will never achieve is catastrophic. This kind of language is too often directed at boys. I have witnessed it myself.

When a young boy hears such things and continually hears masculinity linked to toxicity in societal discourse, it is no wonder that many suffer from feelings of worthlessness and isolation. I never felt left behind or disadvantaged, because no one told me I was. Instead, I had positive role models who took the time to teach me what an upstanding man should be. We need more of that these days in youth clubs, schools and homes.

I say to the House and the Minister, let us provide families up and down the country with the help and support they need, but let some of that help be directed to our boys and young men. Let us do all we can to introduce policies that help to build strong families. Let us help our communities organise themselves around assisting young boys to turn into great men—great men who can look after themselves, lead and be role models for the next generation.

However, this quest to uplift young men and boys must not come at the expense of the progress women are making in all walks of society. That is especially true after this year’s events, which have shone a light on how many women feel vulnerable in many situations. That is clearly not right. As has been pointed out, men have a role to play in solving this societal issue, yet this cannot be done by vilifying men. Instead, it can be achieved only if we encourage young men and boys in educational and family settings to think highly of themselves and be respectful of others, particularly women.

Therefore, we need to encourage a type of masculinity that promotes individual responsibility, educational achievement and looking out for people, especially women. We should also teach young boys in the classroom and at home not to objectify women, but to be much more like the moral, upstanding male role models who were in my life growing up.

As espoused by Lads Need Dads, give a young lad a good dad or a male model, teach him what is right and what is wrong, watch what he watches—I cannot stress that enough—and who his influences are. Teach him to be proud of what he is—a boy—because from this you will get a man who is an asset to society, a fantastic son or husband and may be even a fantastic dad.

As a society we should continue our pursuit of inclusiveness, but not so that policy makers forget half of society. If we get that right, we should need fewer police, not more. We should need fewer courts, not more. We should need fewer prisons, not more. This is a long game; we need to help men at all stages of their lives. Some are already in a bad place, and we need to help them, but we also need to prevent our next generation from following them. Addressing the disparity that many men and young boys face should be a long-term goal; one that recognises that there will be no quick fixes. However, with a clear strategy and the right people, good things can happen.

Let us celebrate International Men’s Day each and every year by speaking men up, not talking them down, and by speaking well of our sons, our dads, our brothers and our husbands. If we speak well of them, highlighting whenever we can their good points and not their bad, then we will watch them bloom, trust me. They will bloom into someone who is an asset to society, someone to rely on, someone to be proud of and someone who is, most of all, a good man.

Source: https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commo...ribution-6301F01B-D55B-441B-B54D-D61E63C85AE9

Scottish Tory leader Douglas Ross, tbf, reported himself after he failed to declarebearnings from 16 games in his other job as a Football Referee.
That second one can't be too much of an issue? How much money was involved - ÂŁ50 a game if he's lucky but more importantly what could he influence politically as a result of this job?

Hey who was the guy leading the charge in trying to change the rules around MPs and parliamentary standards last month?

International Men’s Day—I am not really a fan of these days. We seem to have a day for everything at present. However, as someone who cares deeply about preventing young boys and men from being left behind, it is fitting that I lead today’s debate. In recent years, there has been a creeping narrative that males have it easy; that their life is a breeze and there is nothing to complain about. My standing here may, in fact, be used as evidence of that, yet it is clear that life is tough for many men and young boys, and many of our boys in schools are far from privileged. I certainly was not; in fact, I came from what I would consider a pretty standard working-class background. I do not begrudge that fact at all, because coming from such a background gave me the attitude that if I did not do something myself, no one else would. That attitude is what put me here.

However, it is clear that many young men and boys are struggling and, for whatever reason, are lacking the can-do attitude that will enable them to get on in life. The statistics speak for themselves: as a whole, men and boys are doing disproportionately poorly in education and health settings. To give a few statistics, boys are lagging behind at school, especially in maths and English. Some 13.2% of men are not in employment or education; the equivalent figure for women is 10%. Suicide rates for men are three times higher than they are for women. Life expectancy for a man today is four years lower than for a woman, 83% of rough sleepers are men, and a staggering 96% of the prison population are male. While I do not believe that men are a wholly victimised group, it is clear that if we witnessed such disparities between other groups, there would quite rightly be uproar. However, such statistics do not generate the headlines they should, because issues that affect men do not seem urgent enough to talk about.

Why is that the case? Personally, I believe that this place operates like a pendulum, swinging from left to right as it continually struggles to correct wrongs and injustices. That is a very noble endeavour that has been pursued in this great institution for many centuries. However, I am afraid that the pendulum often swings so far that reaching an equilibrium is no longer the objective. As such, over the decades during which this place has rightly corrected society’s injustices—empowering females and protecting sexual and ethnic minorities from discrimination—we have unfortunately left the struggles of many males out of the discussion. Some may say that men have had their turn, and it is women’s turn now. I find that poor argument rather infantile, yet it is something I have heard within these walls during private discussions, and it is a narrative that I feel has penetrated popular discourse.

I am in no way denying that men have had many opportunities that women have not had, and that remains the case in too many instances. That is wrong and should be continually challenged and put right. However, such a wrong should not be corrected by simply ignoring the issues that many men and boys face. As the saying goes, “Two wrongs don’t make a right.” So what can we do? And why did coming from such a working-class background not stop me from reaching the position I am in now?

First, we must consider the need for boys to have male role models, just as they need female ones. The need for such male role models is highlighted by groups such as Lads Need Dads, a fantastic charity that has done some excellent work in encouraging boys to pursue their passions and to learn skills from male volunteers. The results speak for themselves, and I urge all Members here to look into the organisation’s work and to promote the group in their constituencies It is time that we recognised the need for positive male role models for our boys. After all, failure to do so will only mean that boys continue to be let down.

Secondly, we clearly need more male teachers in our schools if we are to address some of the educational disparities that I touched on earlier. I have spoken to teachers in Don Valley who said that the poor behaviour of young boys with no positive male role models at home is often exacerbated by the lack of male role models at school. Consequently, I say to the Minister that an active campaign to encourage men to become teachers ought to be a fundamental part of the teacher recruitment and retention policy.

Thirdly, it is clear that boys need to have their own clubs, just as girls need their own clubs. It is indeed a wonderful thing that women’s football is on TV, and it is terrific that female tennis stars are finally starting to be paid as much as their male counterparts. As the father of a daughter, I applaud all who have corrected that wrong and hundreds of other injustices. Yet I will also reiterate something that seems very topical at the moment, although much more for women than men, which is the need to have their own identity and for masculinity to be something that can be celebrated at times rather than being continually vilified.

Everywhere, not least within the cultural sphere, there seems to be a call from a tiny yet very vocal minority that every male character or good role model must have a female replacement. One only needs to consider the discussions about who will next play the James Bond to see that. And it is not just James Bond. In recent years, we have seen Dr Who, the Ghostbusters, Luke Skywalker and The Equalizer all replaced by women, and men are left with the Krays and Tommy Shelby. Is it any wonder that so many young men are committing crimes? Such programmes make crime look cool. Trust me, a lifetime in prison is not cool, and neither is living with the memory of a stabbed son or daughter.

There is no doubt that we have witnessed awful events over the past year in which the victims have been women. Being the father of a daughter, as I have mentioned, my heart goes out to the victims of such crimes and their families. Yet the awful events that have taken place have led, in many ways, to the word “masculinity” being preceded by the word “toxic” more and more frequently in our public discourse. Yet again, we have to ask ourselves, “Who does this help?” I have an answer: no one. How will this situation make boys and young men see themselves? Poorly, that is how.

If we are to strive to be a safe and inclusive society, we should not vilify 50% of the population and neither should we immediately vilify the term “masculinity”. That is because, just as I hope all women love being women, I love being a man. Most of my friends are men. Indeed, coming from an electrical engineering background, most of my former colleagues are men. My understanding of the world has largely been shaped by the fact that I am a man. I do not think that being a man makes me superior in any way, yet being male is an essential part of my identity, and just as with any other identity—whether religious or ethnic—I believe that male identity should be celebrated, not vilified.

Some may argue that I did not choose to be born male and so it is ridiculous for male identity to be celebrated. I do not suspect that anyone would say that about any other identity. In short, I believe that we should encourage boys and young men to be proud of being men, because it is important for boys to know that, as males, they can make a positive difference to society.

Following on from that, I will just go back to how I ended up here in Parliament. First and foremost, I came from what I believe was a very good home. I was lucky to have good parents and two wonderful brothers. Overall, I was surrounded by excellent role models, who often told me, “Don’t say ‘I can’t’. Say ‘I can’ and ‘I will’.” I did, and look where it got me.

I also went to a great school with the best headteacher, Mr Stephenson, who knew what it was to be a great role model, and I thank him for the time he spent with me. I went to Scouts, practised taekwondo, and became an apprentice at 16. Throughout that time I was surrounded by male role models, many of whom were very good, speaking positively about each other and where they lived. If more of our boys and young men had that experience, we could make enormous strides for the most disadvantaged of boys.

Going back to the earlier mentioned statistics on education, some excellent research contained in the report by the all-party parliamentary group on issues affecting men and boys, “A Boy Today”, highlights some of the reasons why boys may be disadvantaged. One such reason is that boys are likely to be taught better in a vocational setting, than in a classroom. The

Government must take this seriously and tackle the fact that boys generally do much worse in a classroom setting.

Speaking from a personal perspective, I can see why this may be relevant to many boys in education. I can completely relate, because I am an action person. I prefer to learn something on the job and for a reason, after which I like to put it into practice. Basically, I just like getting on with it. I can imagine many boys and young men in education feel the same.

We need to find out what the boys who do not do well in traditional educational settings are good at and provide the resources to support them. If it is something out of school, it should, where possible, be brought into school, even if it is just an assembly piece. While we should encourage and champion all children, research suggests boys are much less likely to push themselves, so this needs to be addressed at every opportunity.

In school, the workplace and home, we should also begin to recognise that language is most important. Negativity is never the right approach. One of the greatest lessons I learned as a parent and an employer of many young male apprentices over the years is that we must speak positively in front of young people. Any concerns should be addressed privately with other adults who are responsible for the child’s development or young person’s progression. Telling a young person they are useless or will never achieve is catastrophic. This kind of language is too often directed at boys. I have witnessed it myself.

When a young boy hears such things and continually hears masculinity linked to toxicity in societal discourse, it is no wonder that many suffer from feelings of worthlessness and isolation. I never felt left behind or disadvantaged, because no one told me I was. Instead, I had positive role models who took the time to teach me what an upstanding man should be. We need more of that these days in youth clubs, schools and homes.

I say to the House and the Minister, let us provide families up and down the country with the help and support they need, but let some of that help be directed to our boys and young men. Let us do all we can to introduce policies that help to build strong families. Let us help our communities organise themselves around assisting young boys to turn into great men—great men who can look after themselves, lead and be role models for the next generation.

However, this quest to uplift young men and boys must not come at the expense of the progress women are making in all walks of society. That is especially true after this year’s events, which have shone a light on how many women feel vulnerable in many situations. That is clearly not right. As has been pointed out, men have a role to play in solving this societal issue, yet this cannot be done by vilifying men. Instead, it can be achieved only if we encourage young men and boys in educational and family settings to think highly of themselves and be respectful of others, particularly women.

Therefore, we need to encourage a type of masculinity that promotes individual responsibility, educational achievement and looking out for people, especially women. We should also teach young boys in the classroom and at home not to objectify women, but to be much more like the moral, upstanding male role models who were in my life growing up.

As espoused by Lads Need Dads, give a young lad a good dad or a male model, teach him what is right and what is wrong, watch what he watches—I cannot stress that enough—and who his influences are. Teach him to be proud of what he is—a boy—because from this you will get a man who is an asset to society, a fantastic son or husband and may be even a fantastic dad.

As a society we should continue our pursuit of inclusiveness, but not so that policy makers forget half of society. If we get that right, we should need fewer police, not more. We should need fewer courts, not more. We should need fewer prisons, not more. This is a long game; we need to help men at all stages of their lives. Some are already in a bad place, and we need to help them, but we also need to prevent our next generation from following them. Addressing the disparity that many men and young boys face should be a long-term goal; one that recognises that there will be no quick fixes. However, with a clear strategy and the right people, good things can happen.

Let us celebrate International Men’s Day each and every year by speaking men up, not talking them down, and by speaking well of our sons, our dads, our brothers and our husbands. If we speak well of them, highlighting whenever we can their good points and not their bad, then we will watch them bloom, trust me. They will bloom into someone who is an asset to society, someone to rely on, someone to be proud of and someone who is, most of all, a good man.

Source: https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commo...ribution-6301F01B-D55B-441B-B54D-D61E63C85AE9

That isn't context for the moronic comments/link about Dr Who etc. I love to see the research which backs up such a claim. He just slips that in as a means to attack the 'vocal minority' who he disagrees with. Is he one of Tory MPs fighting a culture war against 'Wokeism'?

He really needs to get his speeches read over by somebody else before delivering them, or get a new speech writer to get rid of those moronic parts as some of his points are actually good points. The problem he has is that they're now lost.

That isn't context for the moronic comments/link about Dr Who etc. I love to see the research which backs up such a claim. He just slips that in as a means to attack the 'vocal minority' who he disagrees with. Is he one of Tory MPs fighting a culture war against 'Wokeism'?

He really needs to get his speeches read over by somebody else before delivering them, or get a new speech writer to get rid of those moronic parts as some of his points are actually good points. The problem he has is that they're now lost.

In context the whole speech is right, but you are correct that the rest of it has been incinerated by a poor paragraph that was taken as a "flaming torch" by the more liberal shouty sorts.

Back
Top Bottom